Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been at Lions since finishing at Suns?

“FORMER Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew has agreed to a part-time coaching arrangement with Brisbane.

Dew, regarded as one of the best left footed kicks this century during his playing days, will join the club in a once-a-week agreement until the end of the season to help with skill development.”

Unless Stuart’s role gets extended beyond this year, he should be free to go elsewhere.

Barrett on the Sunday Footy Show reckons the Pies are making a big play for Houston now.
Also, when asked of any possible big names during trade period, mentioned Harry - (Lions maybe ask the question if Joe retires) BUT was his opinion only, zero substance to it.

Barrett on the Sunday Footy Show reckons the Pies are making a big play for Houston now.
Also, when asked of any possible bombshells during trade period, mentioned Harry - (Lions maybe ask the question if Joe retires) BUT was his opinion only, zero substance to it.

It’s just so embarrassing that he would throw Harry’s name in there. Of course Brisbane would want Harry if Daniher retires.

Will Carlton entertain trading Harry to Brisbane? Not for a second.

Has Harry even hinted that he would like to play elsewhere? Not for a moment.

It’s totally implausible.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bringing back "names" at the expense of role players doing a good job has been a common issue. It played a factor in finals last year and again from the GWS game this year and culminated in the EF. It's easy to say in hindsight because some guys come in and do well. Will be interesting if change of High Performance Manager impacts in this space.
This off season will be an important one.

The younger guys who showed something have a chance to stake a claim.

In the end this year our team was between a rock & a hard place.

They rolled the dice on names & it didn’t come off - not sure we would have fared any better playing the kids.

The damage had been done - lack of continuity at that time of year hurts.

We were the 8th best team. We were going well, and fell away.

The ladder never lies.

Empirically I guess that is correct but there are many variables that can change each games results and therefore ladder position.

As an example, had we not had the in game injuries vs the crows would we have lost? Don’t know and don’t like being a could have, should have, would have type but these things do make a difference.

Same could be said of playing a team at the “right time”, hawks being an example, at the start of the season they were woeful, they improved and got belief and became a dominant force.

These variables do affect ladder position, and that’s why I believe that to win a flag you have to be very good but also lucky.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Young not attracting interest even though we will give him away
Thanks for the info mate - I still don't really understand this stance from the club. If we aren't going to be targeting a mature KPD this post-season our depth in that area is going to be really poor if we let Young go

Thanks for the info mate - I still don't really understand this stance from the club. If we aren't going to be targeting a mature KPD this post-season our depth in that area is going to be really poor if we let Young go
I just think we must have someone lined up, Carlton 99. Stuffed if I know who it is. But I think we must have irons in the fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That something of value is likely a F1 as the main component

Getting Houston wouldn't jeopardise our future, you can find young talent at every level and still have a balanced age demographic

We are in win mode, not rebuild mode
I agree - just not sure Port will let him go for a Future first & a packet of chips.

If pick 11 this year was the only way to get Houston in - would you agree to that?

Yep. Plus he's an emergency ruck option. Saves us having another backup ruckman on the list.

Could it be similar to Kennedy whereby he's indicated he'd like more opportunities and be told there's no certainty so explore options if he's not happy being depth with us?
Yeh that may be part of it but I do see a path for Young to play in 25' if we don't pick up another mature KPD. I still see Haynes as a Marchbank replacement and not as a proper KPD but happy to be proven wrong

Also, when asked of any possible big names during trade period, mentioned Harry - (Lions maybe ask the question if Joe retires) BUT was his opinion only, zero substance to it.

That’s just to drive the price and trade pick higher.

Had a great day yesterday. Supporters breakfast, GF and then to pub with family and friends

Game summed up my year in tipping. I picked Swans easily and Heeney for NSM

The evening of the competition means anyone can win these days if they are fit and get on a roll. I don’t buy this rebuild or takes time stuff.

Lots of talk around Houston. Many ITK believe he would like to come to us but it’s the deal that will be the issue. North coming hard.

Austin has many targets and wants some early draft picks. So many scenarios were discussed. Cook has worked with Austin for more than 12 months on changing our list structure and recruiting plan. Bottom line is no one really knows what will happen as one deal could really affect another and it’s obvious we have so many balls in the air. We haven’t even discussed possible deal with Port for Houston. Everything is just speculation

With Tassie coming on we see this as last possibility for a while to get in top line young talent through draft

Kennedy & Owies likely to go now. Both have interest and have had medicals. Carroll probably done late as both clubs have other focuses. I’m not sure WCE are that keen? Young not attracting interest even though we will give him away

So many names and targets mentioned. We are definitely active. It just depends what we can get done. A number at club are excited by Campo twins. Think we will get two very good players cheaply.

Some players already training. Ops have happened for a few. Massive review of coaching still going. Stewart Dew was mentioned as possible target as Senior Asst

For all the discussion nothing has really changed from what I have been told for months. 1-2 early draft picks supported by some Elijah/Acres type deals and some smart mature/dfa picks

I know people would like more but this is the reality as I’m told

Thanks Soapy,

Just not quite enough scandal or scuttle butt for this time of year!!!!

Sounds very planned and strategic and without knowing any of the names it’s hard to judge if we are being “courageous or bold“ with our list management.

I can understand the club feeling that the list is not too far off without resting in its pursuit for constant improvement.

It would seem that the club has a longer term view on staying up the ladder, unwilling to sell the farm for a short hit at a flag, where as us supporters would rather just get the cup and worry about what happens next later.

I agree - just not sure Port will let him go for a Future first & a packet of chips.

If pick 11 this year was the only way to get Houston in - would you agree to that?

It's rarely a single pick that gets these types of deals done and from what I've heard, we prefer to hold a position in the 1st round of the draft

So, only way I'd consider pick 11, is based on the likelihood of trading back into the 1st round

Personally, I think Houston's overall value is a late 1st

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back