Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I agree with you. I'm not the type to throw away list spots on the provision that you might have a chance to lure a more talented player. Each list spot needs to be utilized on its own merits. If the club thought that Dunkley was good enough for a list spot on his own accord then go for it but if it was just to have a low percentage chance at Josh then no thanks. We've gone through years of having a bunch of players not good enough to carry a list spot. I hope those days are over.

Lol, come on Wick.

Obviously I'm not suggesting we recruit Kyle solely for the chance it may entice his brother to come across at the end of the year. Not sure how you could possibly have come to that conclusion.

Not sure I agree with you. I'm not the type to throw away list spots on the provision that you might have a chance to lure a more talented player. Each list spot needs to be utilized on its own merits. If the club thought that Dunkley was good enough for a list spot on his own accord then go for it but if it was just to have a low percentage chance at Josh then no thanks. We've gone through years of having a bunch of players not good enough to carry a list spot. I hope those days are over.

Agreed, but if we don't see any players still available at our pick that we'd want playing seniors either immediately, or in later years, there's nothing in the pick anyway. Whoever we take, they get ~10 games to convince us to keep them. Don't want to see us grab one of the NB's boys, that'd be pointless. They're already playing in the VFL squad. So if you can't get a handy senior inclusion, grab someone handy for the reserves who was playing for the opposition.

And if there's an added benefit of building some goodwill with a player we may or may not be in discussions with for a potential trade (I have no idea, just saying he's a likely type - out of contract, right age, being used out of position, at a club doing poorly), then that's not a bad thing.

Lol, come on Wick.

Obviously I'm not suggesting we recruit Kyle solely for the chance it may entice his brother to come across at the end of the year. Not sure how you could possibly have come to that conclusion.

It's right there in your comment

Jeremias said:
Don’t know anything about Kyle, but if there’s a chance bringing him in might tempt his brother, I’m all for it.

You don't know anything about Kyle yet if it might tempt Josh you'd want him at Carlton.

Probably unpopular opinion: I wouldn't want Josh Dunkley at Carlton. He would be the biggest whipping boy of all time if he was here. Really nice AFL quality until he kicks the ball - at which point he makes Kerridge's kicking look superb by comparison. He's a coach killer in waiting

Probably unpopular opinion: I wouldn't want Josh Dunkley at Carlton. He would be the biggest whipping boy of all time if he was here. Really nice AFL quality until he kicks the ball - at which point he makes Kerridge's kicking look superb by comparison. He's a coach killer in waiting
Is also an awkward height and wouldn't fit our forward line.

Josh Dunkley?
Why would we want him?
We need good ball users now.

How many more players do we need to bring in to 'help' Cripps, anyway?
Dogs supporters would likely be disappointed he hasn't been dropped right now.

Josh Dunkley?
Why would we want him?
We need good ball users now.

How many more players do we need to bring in to 'help' Cripps, anyway?
Dogs supporters would likely be disappointed he hasn't been dropped right now.
Previous posts discussing him coming across if his brother was here, which is why I mentioned I'm not a fan.

He's not really an inside mid anymore, playing as a forward to help hide those poor skills

Previous posts discussing him coming across if his brother was here, which is why I mentioned I'm not a fan.

He's not really an inside mid anymore, playing as a forward to help hide those poor skills

Killing it in the forward line with 3 points per game. :)

Media got all fuzzy about him late last year as they did with Sier.
Funny how some players only need a few games for their profiles to be exalted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a recent Suns member (2015-2018, not this year due to my health) I have to say that Martin is a solid footballer, not great,but would cost the moon both salary wise and trade wise. He doesn't impose his will on games enough and just sort of exists and slides through them. There will be a lot greater value propositions out there for us than over-reaching for Martin.

Does anyone from GC reach their potential? I reckon most players would improve at least 20% within a better side and system

As Harks just said - how many players do we need to help Cripps? He’s our #1 inside mid and that won’t change. We have just used our first rounder on Stocker and gave up a decent amount for Kennedy and Setterfield. That’s 4x inside mids right there.
Plus, I'm not sure Cripps needs the help. It's how he plays; he's always the first inside a scrummage, the hardest at it, the first to the ball drop. He reads it better than every else, where else would he be? No amount of Matthew Kennedy's, Will Setterfields, Liam Stocker's (or Sammo Petrevsky-Seton's, or Patrick Dow's) are going to get between him and the ball.

All we need to do is to ensure that it doesn't take a superhuman effort from him every week to win us games, so that should he prove to be less than herculean at any point and have a down week - by anyone's standards, not simply his own - we have the players to extract the ball with the smallest drop of efficiency. If we have the players for this at this point, great; if we don't, why don't we, and/or we need to get them in, quickly!

I think we do, but no stone left unturned I guess.

Killing it in the forward line with 3 points per game. :)

Media got all fuzzy about him late last year as they did with Sier.
Funny how some players only need a few games for their profiles to be exalted.
To be fair, he came home with a wet sail last year when they played him as more of a dedicated midfielder instead of a forward (which coincides with Toby McLean's dip in form/stats in the second half as he swapped from midfield to forward).

Averages Pre and post round 15:

Disposals: 15.7 / 28.8
Contested possessions: 5.5 / 11.0
Marks: 5.0 / 4.8
Goals: 0.7 / 0.4
Tackles: 5.3 / 6.7
Clearances: 1.3 / 4.1

Plus, I'm not sure Cripps needs the help. It's how he plays; he's always the first inside a scrummage, the hardest at it, the first to the ball drop. He reads it better than every else, where else would he be? No amount of Matthew Kennedy's, Will Setterfields, Liam Stocker's (or Sammo Petrevsky-Seton's, or Patrick Dow's) are going to get between him and the ball.

All we need to do is to ensure that it doesn't take a superhuman effort from him every week to win us games, so that should he prove to be less than herculean at any point and have a down week - by anyone's standards, not simply his own - we have the players to extract the ball with the smallest drop of efficiency. If we have the players for this at this point, great; if we don't, why don't we, and/or we need to get them in, quickly!

I think we do, but no stone left unturned I guess.
Agree. For mine there's 3 reasons to get another big, aggressive body in there:

1. It means Cripps can get a chop out during the game and 'rest' (read: do some damage) up forward. Not playing 90% TOG on ball means he's got more in the tank to wreak havoc in the last quarter. .

2. It mean's if Cripps misses a game, for whatever reason, we've got someone who can play his role and not have to massively adjust the way our midfield operates.

3. It means there's someone to 'protect Cripps'... by that I mean someone to run effective block lines (& similar) for him and apply pressure onto any tagger/'defensive mid' that's pretending to be Patty's backpack (like he copped last weekend) and reduce his impact.

Crippa will always play the way he plays, you could surround him with JP Kennedy, Oliver & Fyfe & he'd still be smashing in every chance to get his hands on the pill first.

We can not accommodate any more players who can not kick.

We have enough players who can't kick. Some kick within their limits and they hit targets but they take the non damaging options. We need players who will hit long targets and take us up the middle at times.

We have enough who can't see who to kick to, aren't reliable enough to kick to dangerous areas and who miss targets.

What we need is pace and foot skills in all positions.

I thought Stocker was a pure inside mid? Aren’t we playing him off HBF because

A: his two way running was shite as is all TAC Cup midfielders
B: he didn’t have a tank

Surely among him setterfield and Kennedy we are fine for inside mids with Cripps.

Another accumulator and small forward are priorities imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back