Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think its about us being keen or not.

You only nominate another team if you know they can get the deal done. If we say pick 11 is a no go, then we'll either need to buckle on that or be very confident we can get 12 off GC for him to nom us. Plus how Port goes with other targets will also impact their willingness to let him go so might want to see how that plays out.

Suspect that's what holding up the nom.
I suspect that IF we are trying to secure Houston, it will rely heavily on us not only getting pick 12 from GC, but also offloading one or more of Kennedy, Owies & Young. I reckon Houston will eat a fair bit of Salary cap (certainly more than any for the fore-mentioned 3) in addition to Pick 13.

Could posters who suggest we add (as an example ) Houston, Wicks, Stone, Kostany, SDK, Petracca, Butters, SDK, and add Boyd, Campos, Berry, Hotton, Farrell etc to the list please add some explanation where the list spots and salary cap are coming from.
Owies
J. Carroll
MK
Young
M.Carroll
S.Durdin

• then anyone else that may pop up in conversations and is amiable to a move.

Could posters who suggest we add (as an example ) Houston, Wicks, Stone, Kostany, SDK, Petracca, Butters, SDK, and add Boyd, Campos, Berry, Hotton, Farrell etc to the list please add some explanation where the list spots and salary cap are coming from.

Well where not getting all of them for a start.

They will be under less financial pressure to do so, they can already get Luko with their own F1 as well. I was hoping that Cumming chose them, hopefully they up their bid for Perryman, not sure why players would choose Collingwood with the demographic of their list.

not sure why players would choose Collingwood with the demographic of their list.

Until they prove their window is firmly closed they'll keep adding talent and going again like Geelong have done.

Their record of playing deep into finals for the past 22 years speaks for itself.

They've done it consistently with multiple lists and have a generational 21-year-old who will draw players to their club.

Moore, De Goey, Maynard, Schultz, Lipinski, J Daicos all have 5-ish years left.

Richards (if they keep him), Quaynor, Hill, McCreery, Dean, McInnes, Macrae, Daicos all have longer than that at a high level of football.

By getting Perryman he slots into the first group (5-ish years left):

Yes, they have a handful of important players at the end of their career or who will be over the next few years but if they can replace 1-2 of them a year (and with their salary decreasing as they age out) they'll replace them as they depart.

Let's say the last year of their older players is as such:

2025 - Scott Pendlebury, Jeremy Howe
2026 - Steele Sidebottom, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
2027 - Brody Mihocek, Tom Mitchell, Will Hoskin-Elliott
2028 - Jack Crisp, Dan McStay and so on.

What they'll be able to do (unless serious injury calls for an end to a player's career) is to space out these retirements. If they position themselves to add one or two free agents a year they'll keep on top of their list management.

Then you need to consider their success rate at their "Moneyball" type targets particularly in the post-2022 window -- Bobby Hill, Markov, Frampton, Lipinski -- as their list management has a fantastic relationship with McRae (they have an established type to fit his game plan and get it done) and the holes that they have in their list are generally able to be covered.

Thankfully they haven't had a great hit rate in the draft otherwise with their being "Collingwood" and being able to lure free agents and trade acquisitions they'd be even stronger.

But to think Collingwood is about to go **** up because of their age profile is underselling them quite heavily.

Nevermind me, that noise you hear is me throwing up after typing out a positive post about them on this forum.

For a whole host of reasons, Perryman nominating Port has now become critical in our ability to bring in Houston.

I'm tipping the moment Perryman chooses Port, you will see a Carlton nomination by the Houston camp.
Yep, we need someone to pay the Perryman to get us to the other side…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's say the last year of their older players is as such:

2025 - Scott Pendlebury (37), Jeremy Howe (35)
2026 - Steele Sidebottom (35), Mason Cox (35), Jamie Elliott (34)
2027 - Brody Mihocek (34), Tom Mitchell (34), Will Hoskin-Elliott (34)
2028 - Jack Crisp (35), Dan McStay (33) and so on.

Current ages (with retirement ages added above):
Mr Basketball 36
Howe 34
Sidearse, Cox 33
Elliott 32
Mitchell, Mihocek, H-E, Crisp 31 (next week for Crisp)
McStay, Cameron 29

Agree with your general premise, that they'll try to space out retirements like this. But it's a hell of a lot of aging players to manage. To get that many through to the ages listed will be a remarkable achievement if they can manage it. I'm really surprised we haven't seen a couple of this group go this year. Think there will be a larger group go next year as a result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back