Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t do an early teens pick. But I am a self-confessed short on smith. Too many red flags, hopefully he goes somewhere not Geelong.

When Catters want him at the Hawks and Hawkers want him at the Cats...

Id much rather we go hard for Battle and see what can happen with Perryman and keep our pick 15.

Go off?
I’m just applying some basic logic.

If Smith was a done deal to the Cats then a journo like Morris, Edmund, Cleary, Clark or Twomey wouldn’t waste any time in saying so.

Yeah but just like…GO OFF Strapping Young Lad

Nothing is official until I’m seeing Bailey and/or his agent making it official with the League office that he is playing for either the Cats or Hawks…and even then a deal has to get done first.

We haven’t even finished the season yet lol

Yeah but just like…GO OFF Strapping Young Lad

Nothing is official until I’m seeing Bailey and/or his agent making it official with the League office that he is playing for either the Cats or Hawks…and even then a deal has to get done first.

We haven’t even finished the season yet lol
It's already been a done deal to all of Geelong, Hawthorn, & Collingwood this year and it's only July lmao.

They're just making shit up, it never changes. Bailey would be pissing himself laughing at some of this stuff.

Like you say, the Twomey/Cleary tweet with the trade radio hashtag in October will decide it. Until then it's just lip-service.

Go off?
I’m just applying some basic logic.

If Smith was a done deal to the Cats then a journo like Morris, Edmund, Cleary, Clark or Twomey wouldn’t waste any time in saying so.
I also went back and listened to the actual podcast and later on they backtrack it. It's hardly convincing

Based off the comments from Ryan Daniels, Cue automated responses. Hi this is the Hawthorn BigFooty community, we are not in right now, please leave a message after the beep, unless you are Bailey Smith, in which case we just wanted to make it clear we never rated you, we don’t need you, our guys playing at Box Hill would be in front of you anyway and we are glad we saved that cash and preserved our place in the upcoming draft. And despite supporting us as a kid and the Buddy picture, joining Geelong means you are dead to us.😂

I would gladly hand out our 1st for Smith. Unlikely to get a player of his talent outside of the first 5 picks. Fits Geelong's list perfectly as he is young with plenty of football left.

This is the rationale that the clubs would apply. Based on his output to date, there would likely be only 5-6 players in any given draft that might be better than him. If a club sees a full-time inside mid role for him then he’s probably even more valuable than what he’s been able to show so far for us. Trading a pick 8+ for him would be a pretty easy decision for clubs in reality.

Based off the comments from Ryan Daniels, Cue automated responses. Hi this is the Hawthorn BigFooty community, we are not in right now, please leave a message after the beep, unless you are Bailey Smith, in which case we just wanted to make it clear we never rated you, we don’t need you, our guys playing at Box Hill would be in front of you anyway and we are glad we saved that cash and preserved our place in the upcoming draft. And despite supporting us as a kid and the Buddy picture, joining Geelong means you are dead to us.😂
You sound like a jilted lover 🤣

This is the rationale that the clubs would apply. Based on his output to date, there would likely be only 5-6 players in any given draft that might be better than him. If a club sees a full-time inside mid role for him then he’s probably even more valuable than what he’s been able to show so far for us. Trading a pick 8+ for him would be a pretty easy decision for clubs in reality.
I'd state a wider range, like 3-10 but either way you don't know who they are, but even if it's 10 we need a couple of selections ahead of us to be botched to get a look in.

That would be my preference. Unless Nash leaves. Then for sure would want him.
To me it clearly it seems as though he's leaving, but crazier things have happened. I remember Coniglio looked a certainty to leave the Giants and IIRC it was Hawthorn he was linked to, then he signed a 7 year deal in late August.

I don't know, the transition from guys like Liberatore, Macrae and Treloar to Sanders, Smith and Richards would be so much less painful if he stayed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd state a wider range, like 3-10 but either way you don't know who they are, but even if it's 10 we need a couple of selections ahead of us to be botched to get a look in.

It obviously depends on the draft, but I think people really underestimate how rapidly it gets harder to identify a genuine gun in a draft from a certain point, starting around pick 5 in some drafts to around pick 10-12 in strong drafts. Even then, a ‘strong draft’ is often only identified with the benefit of hindsight, outside of a couple of exceptions.

To me it clearly it seems as though he's leaving, but crazier things have happened. I remember Coniglio looked a certainty to leave the Giants and IIRC it was Hawthorn he was linked to, then he signed a 7 year deal in late August.

I don't know, the transition from guys like Liberatore, Macrae and Treloar to Sanders, Smith and Richards would be so much less painful if he stayed.

Coniglio was the AFL giving him a heap of Ambassador money to stay. I dont think Smith gets that, though he may get a $1 pub or farm package from Geelong.

Coniglio was the AFL giving him a heap of Ambassador money to stay. I dont think Smith gets that, though he may get a $1 pub or farm package from Geelong.

Hawthorn might be able to extract a few extra dollars from flogging games to Tassie with Smith. I’m sure they’d be stoked to have someone with an actual tan down there pretending to enjoy it for the cameras.

For the Hawks fans, assuming you get Baz and keep everyone else, what does the midfield mix look like? Day and Newcombe will start the majority of CBAs so where would that leave Baz/Worpel/Nash?

For the Hawks fans, assuming you get Baz and keep everyone else, what does the midfield mix look like? Day and Newcombe will start the majority of CBAs so where would that leave Baz/Worpel/Nash?
Day, Newk, Nash, Baz would take majority.

Day, Baz and Newk will all push forward. Sam appreciates flexibility in roles.

Worpel would likely get a slightly lesser role.

Day, Newk, Nash, Baz would take majority.

Day, Baz and Newk will all push forward. Sam appreciates flexibility in roles.

Worpel would likely get a slightly lesser role.
Worpel start at half forward and just push into the stoppage when there isn't a clearance? Reason I ask is that Baz will most likely find himself playing a similar role to what he did with the Dogs, albeit a slightly higher uptick in CBA.

I'd back our ability to bring people in with our good culture to keep him on the right path.
We have a pretty damn good track record.
Baz isn’t a Stengle type situation, it’s mental health, over training, obsessive compulsive, high maintenance. He’s also a city boy who barracked for Hawthorn, how will he fit into the sleepy hollow culture?

Worpel start at half forward and just push into the stoppage when there isn't a clearance? Reason I ask is that Baz will most likely find himself playing a similar role to what he did with the Dogs, albeit a slightly higher uptick in CBA.
It's a good question. It will come down to performance.
You'd assume Day and Newcombe are permanent fixtures. He's then rotating with Worpel (11 clearances last week), Nash, and a rapidly improving McKenzie. Ward can't even get a game.
With Meek feeding them.
He'd own the Geelong midfield. But what support will he have?? Stanley is retiring. He'll have Bowes (bog average), Bruhn, Clark (jury's out) and Holmes (will be a gun).
If he's hellbent on midfield mins, then Geelong is the easy choice.
But what he could be giving up at Hawthorn could be much bigger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back