Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey leaving Melbourne for Geelong would be like going interstate.

Not really he can play for geelong and spend most of his time in melb like stengle does. At an interstate club he cant.

But isnt the model the cats work on is not to over pay any player ?
Would smith take $700k-$800k ?

Hawks would be having $1 mil on the table and Stkilda maybe more
who knows with the Bombers and North

Hawkins
Duncan
Tuohy
Stanley
Bews
Parfitt
Are all certainties to go this year.

And rohan, dangerfield, cuthrie and blicavs (the last 3 are on very big $) have 1-2 years left at best.

Yes dempsey and others will need some raises but we will still go nowhere near hitting the cap ceiling.

Hawkins
Duncan
Tuohy
Stanley
Bews
Parfitt
Are all certainties to go this year.

And rohan, dangerfield, cuthrie and blicavs (the last 3 are on very big $) have 1-2 years left at best.

Yes dempsey and others will need some raises but we will still go nowhere near hitting the cap ceiling.
There is no doubt the cats have the cash with 12 players over 30 and most will be gone in 2 years
Its will they compromise their famous pay structure they refused to compromise

There is no doubt the cats have the cash with 12 players over 30 and most will be gone in 2 years
Its will they compromise their famous pay structure they refused to compromise

Fair point.

Having the cash and being prepared to use it that way are different things. But to answer your question i think we will pay more than we have in the past but not insane money.

Fair point.

Having the cash and being prepared to use it that way are different things. But to answer your question i think we will pay more than we have in the past but not insane money.
Its ok for players to take less when they see the vision of premierships but geelong have now gone past that and are in a rebuild stage or will be next 2 years with all the players over 30 on the list and will need to make adjustments

Its ok for players to take less when they see the vision of premierships but geelong have now gone past that and are in a rebuild stage or will be next 2 years with all the players over 30 on the list and will need to make adjustments

They'll still be attracted to the club, it's well run and competitive. That would probably change with a long stretch of bad years.

Plus offers a regional lifestyle that appeals to a lot of players, that won't change anytime soon.

We're currently in a rebuild and still 5th on the ladder. Players would kill to be in a situation like this.

It’s entirely possible, in fact highly probable that the famous pay structure isn’t going to be in place forever. It’s just a matter of whether it’s now or 10, 20, even 50 years down the track. FWIW though, with the departures that are going to happen for them, the cap expanding, etc, I don’t think they’d have to blow it up entirely to bring Smith in.

As Richmond found out the only way is down once the experienced guns leave
Dangerfield, Cameron, & Stewart are the only ones who are non-negotiable best 22, and in our best regularly when they are playing.

Blitz has been a shadow of himself all year, likewise Touhy who's been charcoal for 18 months. Duncan has been sporadic at best, and a liability at worst, similar to Hawkins.

Guthrie & Bews haven't been playing all year/aren't best 22, while Stanley & Rohan are just what they've always been: Battlers with moments of brilliance once every 4-5 games, who similarly haven't consistently been best 22.

We'll take a massive hit in terms of on-field experience, and players driving the standards at training with leadership.

In terms of just on-field though, there's a case to be made that we won't miss most of them at this point in their careers.

Dangerfield, Cameron, & Stewart are the only ones who are non-negotiable best 22, and in our best regularly when they are playing.

Blitz has been a shadow of himself all year, likewise Touhy who's been charcoal for 18 months. Duncan has been sporadic at best, and a liability at worst, similar to Hawkins.

Guthrie & Bews haven't been playing all year/aren't best 22, while Stanley & Rohan are just what they've always been: Battlers with moments of brilliance once every 4-5 games, who similarly haven't consistently been best 22.

We'll take a massive hit in terms of on-field experience, and players driving the standards at training with leadership.

In terms of just on-field though, there's a case to be made that we won't miss most of them at this point in their careers.
We say that but they are the wise heads on the ground and the young kids play better with these players besides them

Its also worth remembering that the first 3 players mentioned in the next 2-3 years will also be gone and they will only go backward here on end. when the 12/13 players that are above 30 are gone and its upto the kids they fall away quickly
the kids are now depth and when they become the core the depth is also no longer there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s entirely possible, in fact highly probable that the famous pay structure isn’t going to be in place forever. It’s just a matter of whether it’s now or 10, 20, even 50 years down the track. FWIW though, with the departures that are going to happen for them, the cap expanding, etc, I don’t think they’d have to blow it up entirely to bring Smith in.

It was a rule to ensure no new player got more than Selwood.
Cameron is probably on more now. Smith likely would be offered more.

I have no issue with the $ amounts. Its the 6, 7 and more year contracts which kill clubs.

5 with triggers for a 6th is the most we should offer.

No player really moves for one reason unless they're being pushed and it's their only option. When some parts of the deal are strong, the others can be a bit more hand wavy. If it's the right lifestyle, the right coaching group, the right on field role, then maybe the pay can be about the same and the on field results can be merely ok.

We're playing scintillating footy right now. It's undeniable. If he can't see that, then good fn luck mate. Happy to keep our first pick regardless.
if your plan was to give up a top 5 pick for Baz then you've done well withdrawing from the Baz stakes.

Mental to give up a top 5 pick for him IMO.

GO Catters

if your plan was to give up a top 5 pick for Baz then you've done well withdrawing from the Baz stakes.

Mental to give up a top 5 pick for him IMO.

GO Catters
I wouldn’t do an early teens pick. But I am a self-confessed short on smith. Too many red flags, hopefully he goes somewhere not Geelong.

All but confirmed by Ryan Daniels in the hard ball gets mailbag episode.

Listener question about hawks trading for smith, then dogs on-trading that for Barrass.

Basically (and paraphrasing), “well, that can’t happen, seeing as he’ll be at Geelong”

Seems like the worst kept secret around

All but confirmed by Ryan Daniels in the hard ball gets mailbag episode.

Listener question about hawks trading for smith, then dogs on-trading that for Barrass.

Basically (and paraphrasing), “well, that can’t happen, seeing as he’ll be at Geelong”

Seems like the worst kept secret around
If Ryan Daniel’s was certain Smith was headed to Geelong you wouldn’t need to paraphrase him, he’d have tweeted out or written an article.

If Ryan Daniel’s was certain Smith was headed to Geelong you wouldn’t need to paraphrase him, he’d have tweeted out or written an article.
They’ll often drop bits and pieces.

Warner had been insinuated about months before it hit mainstream. Among others.

But hey, go off I guess.

And paraphrasing because I couldn’t remember the exact details off the top of my head, so it’s not a direct quote.

They’ll often drop bits and pieces.

Warner had been insinuated about months before it hit mainstream. Among others.

But hey, go off I guess.

And paraphrasing because I couldn’t remember the exact details off the top of my head, so it’s not a direct quote.
Go off?
I’m just applying some basic logic.

If Smith was a done deal to the Cats then a journo like Morris, Edmund, Cleary, Clark or Twomey wouldn’t waste any time in saying so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back