AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll use a different example- I wouldn't care if Collingwood wore its 'whiter' jumper with white shorts for a home game against Adelaide for purposes of contrast.

What would bother me is if we were forced to invent some god-awful 'clash' jumper because some bright spark sees a marketing gimmick opportunity. Teams got along OK without the need for clash jumpers for decades- I'd far rather see teams in their proper jumpers more often than worry about who is wearing 'home' or 'away' shorts.

Why would you be forced to invent one? You have a perfectly good alternate strip.

Why would you be forced to invent one? You have a perfectly good alternate strip.

I actually like our 'alternative' jumper at the moment, such that it is..

By 'inventing' a new jumper, I mean something along the lines of some of the vomit-worthy clash jumpers some clubs wear- like the Hawthorn or the West Coast current clash/white strip that look like they've had paint thrown all over them. Every year it comes up when we play Geelong or North- I'd rather both competing teams just stayed as true as possible to their normal jumpers. If it means wearing white shorts instead of black then so be it- I much prefer that arrangement to 'inventing' bizarre new jumper designs.

I think Essendon's wide red sash jumper with red shorts would have been perfectly adequate against Fremantle's purple home strip.

Asking Essendon to wear red shorts would not have been introducing a new colour.

I don't think Freo - Essendon is too much of a clash, but getting Essendon in red shorts so Freo can wear their home strip just makes sense.

The white shorts rule should be relaxed to allow for things like Geelong and North wearing white shorts at home, but common sense has to prevail with this sort of thing.

So we know that the old home/away rule is a thing of the past. The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers. I wonder if anyone from AFL HQ would care to explain why on the very same day, the blue and gold Eagles are wearing white shorts playing against the black and WHITE Magpies.

This will be dealt with. Will get back to you shortly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for the Eagles and Collingwood, you'll find that white had appeared in many WCE jumpers over the years.. Their colours are pretty much Blue, White and Yellow. Not a stretch for them to wear white shorts.

As for the Dons v Freo, there's no clash. Freo could have worn Purple shorts and Ess could have worn Black shorts, or Red shorts, or even white shorts.

In future, if if there is a clash with Freo, they should bring back thier Purple, Green, Red & White strip!!

Surely this should have been last night's combo:

Fremantle1Home-1.png

Essendon3clash.png

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-jumper-guide.926885/

Add red cuffs and collar, maybe even a number box and you'd have a perfect kit to wear vs Freo, Port, Collingwood and possibly Richmond. Then you'd only need a proper clash vs St Kilda and Melbourne.

Problem is people post up graphics of strips against each other or stills of play and go "see this doesn't clash, where's the clash?"

Yeah, no shit, things don't clash when they're static. Have two dark colours moving around at a distance and they blend into each other. Freo's jumper is dark and Essendon's is dark also, so we are then forced to rely on a splash of light on a pair of shorts to tell them apart?

Different rules apply to Essendon and Collingwood to protect the integrity of their traditional strips. Freo's traditional colours are purple, red, green and white. When teams decide to change colours, they forfeit privileges such as choice of shorts colour. This is how the AFL works, regardless of any so-called white shorts rule..

Brilliant post. The changed Port jumper has also created clashes, why do the AFL allow teams to change jumpers if they are going to cause clashes?

Brilliant post. The changed Port jumper has also created clashes, why do the AFL allow teams to change jumpers if they are going to cause clashes?

Because there's a very simple solution to stopping those clashes, a team should wear what they want at their home games.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back