AFL wanting fan feedback on rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

as for penalising the played dragging the football underneath the player on the ground, well i can just see that being another misinterpreted rule we will all be complaining about anyway, so best to leave it as a ball up.

as for penalising the played dragging the football underneath the player on the ground, well i can just see that being another misinterpreted rule we will all be complaining about anyway, so best to leave it as a ball up.

Actually this change is one of only two that I agree with.

The other one is the rule that says a goal is a goal whether it clips the goal post or not. I like that, every other sport the goal post isn't a separate scoring area.

Have put in my two cents. Basically No, No, No, No, No, Yes. With the odd plea to stop changing things that don't need changed/are not proven.

Hope there is plenty of negative feedback to their birdbrain ideas, but no doubt it will be overlooked as Anderson and co are tools.

The other one is the rule that says a goal is a goal whether it clips the goal post or not. I like that, every other sport the goal post isn't a separate scoring area.

Our game is the best in the world because it is not like "every other sport in the world".:rolleyes:

hate it, taking away anything unique about a sport which has been played for over 100 years.

If anything is going to be done with the interchange, I like the 3 interchange and 1 substitute set-up. Capping at 80 after the average has gone over 115 this year is too much of an overreaction.

They can't be serious about bringing in such a huge change in one season. They should be dropping it to 10 under the average and reassess at the end of next season. I don't see the need for the cap in any case though.

i'd rather my team lose a grand final than whinge so much that it was responsible for the game changing fundamentally and irrevocably. the greater good, etc etc.
rules arranged to suit the umpires... i don't see how that's right. just get the decision right.

Gave qualified support to
- 2+2 interchange, rather than a cap on the number of interchanges
- shortening the breaks between quarters
- advantage rule; this was "not opposed" rather than "in favour", if only because it will potentially reduce the incidence of umpires pulling up play, and only then if it had the overwhelming support of players
- dragging the ball in, only if the umpire has a clear view of what's going on; no guessing

Needs more trialling
- boundary umpires making decisions

Not under any circumstances
- goal after hitting the post
- any change driven by the TV networks

Where is the option for "Get rid of Adrian Anderson and the Rules Committee".

Stop trying to justify your existance by coming up with these insane changes to our game.

If the AFL want to make it fairer on teams when they have a few injuries, add 2 substitutes but add them to the 4 interchange players. Otherwise the reality is that they are going back to 20 v 20 (or 21 v 21), as there is no guarantee that the subs will be used if they can only be used to replace an injured player.

The proposal to cap rotations is a recipe for disaster. Players will still push their bodies as hard as ever, but their fatigue levels will increase proportionally without the rest periods on the bench. Muscle fatigue = soft tissue injuries. It is no coincidence that Collingwood and the Bulldogs lead the AFL in rotations and lead the AFL in fewest soft tissue injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No new rules , stop stuffing with what is a good product !!

Cant believe so many of you are actually agreeing to some of these rules changes.

FFS leave it as it is. Imagine if we do this at the end of every season, throw up another 7 or so new rules to trial. An exaggeration im sure but 10 years of this, another 70 new rule to trail, which of course not all will be accepted but you get my point, the game will become near unrecognisable.

I cant contain my frustrating I want to punch Anderson and Demetriou in the face, hopefully knock some sense into them. What adds to this frustration is that Demetriou seems like a smart cat, cant he see that hes ****ing with something that doesnt need adjusting.

The only rule I agreed with was the option of giving the playing the right to decide if advantage should be taken, its just logical unlike the other rules which I just cant for the life imagine how they could come up with such idiotic ideas.

Seriously, the f*****s on this committe are all "I like the game the way it use to be" f***heads. Even Leigh Matthews who hates interchanges because he didn't know how to f****** coach when he had to f******g coach and not just bum of decent players.
C***heads.

I think I wrote an essay in most of the comments boxes telling them to how stupid most of these changes are.

The rebound off a goal post possibly being a goal is one of the most ridiculous rule change they have come up with yet. An elementary fabric of the game. Maybe its strange considering other sports, but who cares? Thats just the way it has always been, and always should be.

The stats on the length of the game just prove how pointless that change would be. The game is a whole 5 minutes longer than 5 years ago. Wow. One minute per quarter. That 1 minute per quarter would disappear instantly with a few basic things that have nothing to do with the game, like the umpires not waiting for TV ad break light to flash. Or they could save seconds per stoppage by throwing the ball up instead of taking the time and effort to set up to bounce it (one change I am not against).

I hate it how they just say "supporters have expressed concern with XXX" ... absolute bullshit. The only concern supporters have is wanting the AFL to stop f()%$ing with the damn rules.
Amen to that brother.:thumbsu:

After this hitting the post thing I wonder what's next.

If there is a controversial goal next week which is shown to have been touched, is that rule then up for change, touched off the boot is ok now?

Waite's goal for Carlton last week - it was difficult to tell whether it hit the boot or not, so do we allow a fumble that goes through to be a goal?

my ideas:

from a free kick: if the ball goes out of bounds (from a kick not on the full) without anyone touching it, it should be a free kick to the other team.

2 40 minute HALVES no time on. 3 hours to sit through a game is labourious, and afl is unwatchable on tv to the point i only like watching the highlights packages.

i'd love it if they had just substitutes like soccer (ie if a player is subbed off he cant go back on) however there are 6 reserves to choose from off the bench, that way: the best players are on the field all the time, and endurance asked for more for players.

Our game is the best in the world because it is not like "every other sport in the world".:rolleyes:

:thumbsu: From almost everyone in favour of the poster rule i have heard the 'just like every other sport in the world' line. Don't people get it? Australian Rules Football is nothing like and should never aim to be anything like any other sport in the world.

The same people who scream and shout about goal umpires making important mistakes should be applauding the poster rule, which will make for more goals, and will virtually eliminate the "Hawkins". If the ball hits the post but goes through, it's a goal. Too simple really. The game becomes easier to umpire because of this rule, which should be a good thing for all concerned.

Keep the quarters the same length, reduce the half-time by 5 minutes (it's way too long) and let boundary umps rule on blocking and holding around the rucks.

As for capping the interchange...dunno.
No. With all this money the AFL's spending on investigating rule changes, why don't they spend some of it on making umpiring a full time profession which will lead to a reduction in errors? As opposed to "OMG, something happened that happens maybe once a year, CHANGE EVERYTHING"

I love aussie rules footy, but christ I hate the AFL.

This is what i wrote in the first comments box.

''LEAVE THE GAME AS IT IS. IF IT ISN'T BROKEN DON'T TRY AND FIX IT.''

I am really starting to hate Adrian Anderson and Andrew Demetriou.
Why does there have to be 5 rule changes every season. Honestly i struggle to understand what the hell is going on when there is a rule infringement when i'm at the game and i know the rules and the game well.

Allowing players to decide if it's play on - yes

About reducing quarter lengths, I said No but maybe they could look at shortening the time between goals and centre ball ups or letting the clock continue to tick at stoppages or throw ins if the quarter isn't into time on.

All the rest I said No.

This is what i wrote in the first comments box.

''LEAVE THE GAME AS IT IS. IF IT ISN'T BROKEN DON'T TRY AND FIX IT.''

I am really starting to hate Adrian Anderson and Andrew Demetriou.
Why does there have to be 5 rule changes every season. Honestly i struggle to understand what the hell is going on when there is a rule infringement when i'm at the game and i know the rules and the game well.

yes it's terrible, i've been watching games this year and last year and sometimes the ump will give a free kick and me, all my mates and even the commentators don't know what the hell is happening. this really needs to stop. every year a new (seemingly insignificent) rule is brought in. but watching a dvd from just 4 years ago the game has noticable differences, it's ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL wanting fan feedback on rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back