Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
His recruiting style is outdated, he needs to go, this is one area of the club that will benefit from a fresh set of eyes/strategy.
What would his KPI's be that measures his performance? Its a cop out to say "oh I recruited a gun but its up to the coaches to get the best out of the player". Part of that is true but a coach can only do so much with a player.

His recruiting style is outdated, he needs to go, this is one area of the club that will benefit from a fresh set of eyes/strategy.
What would his KPI's be that measures his performance? Its a cop out to say "oh I recruited a gun but its up to the coaches to get the best out of the player". Part of that is true but a coach can only do so much with a player.

You do know the National Recruiting Manager is Rob Forster-Knight, right?

What role?

8J8dRII.png

Seems like criticism of his recruitment style being outdated is still valid then.

He oversees the department, but AFAIK isn't the one doing the scouting or draft night selections anymore.

Certainly there's been a broader restructuring of the list management setup that came in with Mahoney, of which Dodoro is one part of but not the sole part of.

Presumably given Mahoney was fairly involved at Melbourne he would have some concept of what he's doing and whether / if Dodoro can add value to that setup.

He oversees the department, but AFAIK isn't the one doing the scouting or draft night selections anymore.

Certainly there's been a broader restructuring of the list management setup that came in with Mahoney, of which Dodoro is one part of but not the sole part of.

Presumably given Mahoney was fairly involved at Melbourne he would have some concept of what he's doing and whether / if Dodoro can add value to that setup.
Pretty hard to oversee something without having input I'd suggest.

Nah.

Stop trying to justify his stain on the club.

You don't stay at a place for 25+ years unless you have majority control, and we all know what type of personality he is.

Man needs to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't stay at a place for 25+ years unless you have majority control, and we all know what type of personality he is.
There are plenty of companies that retain staff just about for life, promoting them about once a decade. Younger generations job-hop every year or two to climb the corporate ladder as quickly as possible, and supposedly will work for a dozen different companies in their lifetimes, but that doesn't mean it's the norm for everyone everywhere.

Did I say he doesn't have input?

I said he isn't the sole part of it the list management setup, and AFAIK Rob Forster-Knight is the one who oversees the scouting and draft selection portion of list management these days.
Actually when someone criticised Dodoro's methods for being outdated you posted this.

You do know the National Recruiting Manager is Rob Forster-Knight, right?

Made me think you were suggesting Dodoro wasn't involved. Otherwise it's an odd post.

There are plenty of companies that retain staff just about for life, promoting them about once a decade. Younger generations job-hop every year or two to climb the corporate ladder as quickly as possible, and supposedly will work for a dozen different companies in their lifetimes, but that doesn't mean it's the norm for everyone everywhere.
Those staff generally help the companies reach their goals.

Did I say he doesn't have input?

I said he isn't the sole part of it the list management setup, and AFAIK Rob Forster-Knight is the one who oversees the scouting and draft selection portion of list management these days.
No one has said he's the sole part of the list management setup but when you're the manager of a department then it's your philosophy being executed. The buck stops with him. The setup has changed more now with Rutten having a greater input but I don't believe Dodoro should even get a chance.

It appeared to me that the poster though Dodoro was the sole person responsible for our draft selections, so I gave them additional information
Oh. I just assumed they meant what they posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back