List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought.....His body language tomorrow could give us some indication as too his intentions?

I could possibly just be grabbing at straws here... But at the end of the game he could show some emotion/appreciation to the crowd realising its his last home game at KP??
If there is nothing then maybe that could show that he will be back there again in the hoops and it is business as usual?

As I said just a thought.... Interested to hear what other people think...

Just a thought.....His body language tomorrow could give us some indication as too his intentions?

I could possibly just be grabbing at straws here... But at the end of the game he could show some emotion/appreciation to the crowd realising its his last home game at KP??
If there is nothing then maybe that could show that he will be back there again in the hoops and it is business as usual?

For sure, it will be interesting.

Hs anyone else noticed that whenever we get to a critical point in GAJ's career, GAS pops up in the press??!!
STFU Senior, nobody cares what you think!!

I just saw his letter to that raging feminist Susie O'Brien in the HS today and I thought it was well constructed actually. Made some good points. Didnt stop good old Susie putting the boots into Tiger and his "fake marriage" a page or 2 later though....:rolleyes:

In the absence of Ling & Selwood I'm sure he would make a great Captain, but the fact is he is seriously entertaining the thought of leaving Geelong, has poor body language occasionally on-field, and is a very poor media performer who the club has protected his entire career.
Selwood is just a hands-down natural leader and must be our next captain.

Agree with this.

And I also think he has pretty poor body language. He is very overt when reacting to most things on the field - especially when injured.

I mean, seriously Gary do you need to lie on the ground for over 10 seconds if someone has stepped on your fingers, particularly if your within 5 meters of the play?

For sure, it will be interesting.

I know people love to look for a "sign" that might shed some light on the situation, but this seems to me to be a particularly poor one.

You will find that the players routinely "thank" the crowd after most home games and, in particular, go to some effort to do so for the last home game of the season.

If Gaz does so tomorrow - and I fully expect he will - it will be par for the course and nothing to do with his playing future.

I agree...what we see tomorrow might tell us something.

In the absence of Ling & Selwood I'm sure he would make a great Captain, but the fact is he is seriously entertaining the thought of leaving Geelong, has poor body language occasionally on-field, and is a very poor media performer who the club has protected his entire career.
Selwood is just a hands-down natural leader and must be our next captain.

Agree that Selwood is a natural leader should eventually be captain. However Gary has proven year after year to be a great inspirational figure on the field and lets his footy do the talking. Sure, he isn't a natural in front of a camera like Selwood or Ling, but he has improved a great deal over the years in his media performances. His column in the paper always provides great insight and shows what a great footy mind he has. I would have no hesitation to make him captain when Ling retires and give Selwood a few more years to develop.

On the subject of whether we will stay or go, I feel that Ablett is a footy purist who respects and loves the sport and his club, and will announce on Saturday after the game his intention to stay at the cats and give the team a major boost for the finals! :thumbsu:

Agree that Selwood is a natural leader should eventually be captain. However Gary has proven year after year to be a great inspirational figure on the field and lets his footy do the talking. Sure, he isn't a natural in front of a camera like Selwood or Ling, but he has improved a great deal over the years in his media performances. His column in the paper always provides great insight and shows what a great footy mind he has. I would have no hesitation to make him captain when Ling retires and give Selwood a few more years to develop.

On the subject of whether we will stay or go, I feel that Ablett is a footy purist who respects and loves the sport and his club, and will announce on Saturday after the game his intention to stay at the cats and give the team a major boost for the finals! :thumbsu:

Agree with the first part of this post.

And would it not be great if the second part were true !

I just highly doubt that Ablett would choose to stay or go based on the Captaincy.
Our recent success has been largely because of a change in culture, imo. Why would you risk undermining the successful culture we have established for a short-term gain that sends the message to our list and the entire football world that our core values are for sale?
We had his Dad for years as the best player and he was able to ignore team values and rules for years and where did that get us? Four lost GFs!
I say offer him the most money we can (which I'm sure we have) and remind him endlessly about the historic legacy he could be a part of if he were to stay another few years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On the whole captaincy thing, I actually think that captaincy would hinder Ablett as a player. It would increase the pressure already placed on him by taggers. He is an on-field leader, but things like not showing up to games when he is out of the side would have to stop if he were to be captain.

I remember also hearing Bomber saying something about Ablett not being interested in the captaincy.

Personally, when Ling pulls the pin, we have the prefect replacement. I have told people for two years that our next captain will be none other than Joel Selwood. He is born to captain. I think that Harry Taylor would make a good deputy.

In six weeks it is coming:-

THE GARY ABLETT APOLOGY THREAD!

That's right. WHEN it comes out that Gary Ablett is staying with the Cats, and is as loyal as ever, I will be starting a thread where all you nuff-nuffs who said that Ablett has left, will leave and should leave can apologize.

It is especially directed to the imbecile who suggested we send Ablett to the Gold Coast, and use our salary cap to not retain him, but to get Nathan Bock (who has actually gone to the Gold Coast) and the hapless Patrick Dangerfield, who can't even kick well (and they let people who suggest things like that vote).Come on, whoever you are, own up to your mistake.

So, keep your eye out for it. I might even go through the pages of this thread, and name and shame. Then maybe, next time, some of you will back our players instead of bagging their ALLEGED disloyalty.

Better mark me down Hendo. Because I think that he will be at the Gold Coast next year.

But if I am wrong, (and I hope that I am) then I think that my humiliation will be a very small price to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he does end up staying, he should have just signed 6 months ago or at least publically said he will be staying at the cats and would sign at season end when salary cap issues could be sorted. Would have solved a lot of heart ache for Bomber, Balme, and the playing group when dealing with the media.

If he does end up staying, he should have just signed 6 months ago or at least publically said he will be staying at the cats and would sign at season end when salary cap issues could be sorted. Would have solved a lot of heart ache for Bomber, Balme, and the playing group when dealing with the media.
Disagree. If he stays, we should all be very HAPPY that we have secured the BEST player in the AFL. End of season is very appropriate if he stays.

Let's hope we get up against Perth Glory on Sunday. You going?

I have to work unfortunately. Didn't see last week's game either because of the clash with the footy. At least they scored a couple in Adelaide, didn't look like it in the first two games.

So...any news on how Gary looked at the end of the game today? Any clues in what he looked like after the final siren?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No. Not really. He waved to the crowd, but that could just be acknowledgement because they were loudly cheering him.

I read more into Pickering's comments and facial expressions. Pickering doesn't have the greatest poker-face for mine, and was amused by Colbert and Healy's constant questioning of whether this will be Gary Ablett's last game at Skilled Stadium. He also said something interesting regarding Darren Milburn. Healy asked if Milburn will go around next year or retire, and Pickering seemed to suggest that it may depend on whether there is a spot in the side for him. Of course there is a spot in the side for him, but I also read a hint that Milburn may be contemplating retirement, freeing up salary cap room for Ablett.

For what I saw, I got no indications that Ablett is going anywhere. He and Bomber even had a laugh together in the huddle. What does that say?

Heard a couple of whispers at the game that there will be some sort of announcement at 7pm tonight. Couldn't possibly be that he's leaving with finals next week so the only 2 possibilities I can think of are he's staying or who will be pres next year.

I have another theory that I espouse to you.

Pickering pretended that he doesn't know Ablett's decision during the game. The problem is, Pickering doesn't seem like a very good liar for mine.

I think he knows the decision. I think Gazza knows, and , you know what, I think Geelong knows as well.

I believe he was going back and forth about staying or going. I think he was weighing up whether to leave because of a relationship ending, his brother playing for the Gold Coast, and enough money to set him up for life. Or whether to stay, play with his mates, continue to be at a winning club, and possibly become a Geelong Legend.

I actually think he was torn. But the last couple of months I think he has finally decided. He is back with Lauren, he is investing in property in Melbourne, he seems happier playing up forward than he did, we haven't heard of any tension lately between him and Bomber. I just think he seems more at peace lately, meaning that he has made a final decision.

I think he is holding off going public because of timing. Geelong want to focus on finals, and the Ablett decision won't change in the next four weeks, so why say anything now, and the media coverage be a distraction.

I contemplate four possible times that the announcement will come:-

1) This week, heading into finals. However, with a big game coming it seems unlikely.

2) Early in week two of finals, if Geelong get a week's rest. With two weeks before a game, it could be announced then. If this were to happen, it would have to be Monday or Tuesday post-QF.

3) After the Grand Final. But I doubt that, because I hope that they are too busy celebrating, and don't want to take the focus off the achievement.

4)This is the one I am most leaning towards. I believe that Ablett may announce his intention to stay first to the Geelong faithful, at the Carji Greeves Medal night, the week after the Grand Final. I think the members will be told publicly first (because my theory is, the club already know) at the B&F, and then the media will pick it up from there. In one way, I hope he does it this way. The fans should know before the media, many of who have run the AFL's agenda of pushing Ablett to the Gold Coast.

The timing I am not sure of. But I am willing to back that Geelong already know he is staying. And for all you people who bag Lauren, I think that she may have a lot to do with his final decision to stay.:thumbsu:

yeah herd it on the way home K ROCK said something big will be said either in 3 hours or 24 hours anyway why say he's leaving when they are still in finals. silly move anyway he could be staying,if he says he's going that could be the worst thing ever for the boys playing finals.

I have another theory that I espouse to you.

Pickering pretended that he doesn't know Ablett's decision during the game. The problem is, Pickering doesn't seem like a very good liar for mine.

I think he knows the decision. I think Gazza knows, and , you know what, I think Geelong knows as well.

Look I would like him to stay, and I'm worried by who we would lose.

But if he comes out tonight and announces something that creates publicity for the club on the eve of the finals then he is a dead beat.

There is nothing to be gained from saying it now.
To the players sure, but to create a media storm no !

My tip.
We won't hear a thing until after the finals. And I fully expect it to be bye bye.

I hope you're not going to slit your wrists.
It's just footy, it's not worth it.

Abblett will announce tonight that he will be staying with the club for a further two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back