List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any talk about a decision on our request for increased compensation? This is really where my anger will be if it eventuates, I am quite philosphical about Ablett leaving, 180 games and hopefully four grand finals and three premierships is pretty good return on investment but
if we don't get some compensation I will be livid.

Talk of Boak playing at Geelong is utter fantasy.

i dont think gary wants to leave, but understands the offer is almost too good to refuse. I think he is giving Geelong every opportunity to organize 3rd party deals and if we can get him anything close to even 3/4 of what they are offering he will stay. but anything less than 3/4's is gonna be tough to keep him...

i dont think gary wants to leave, but understands the offer is almost too good to refuse. I think he is giving Geelong every opportunity to organize 3rd party deals and if we can get him anything close to even 3/4 of what they are offering he will stay. but anything less than 3/4's is gonna be tough to keep him...

Gotta agree with you there. AFL player only have a short life span to make as much as possible so you cant really blame them for chasing money (big Money). Ablett will have a lot of loyalty to Geelong (you can question that all you want, but the Abletts are Geelong through and through), but loyalty will only go so far, so unless Geelong can get close to matching GC's offer the smart bet would be with Ablett securing a better financial future for himself at GC.

Gotta agree with you there. AFL player only have a short life span to make as much as possible so you cant really blame them for chasing money (big Money). Ablett will have a lot of loyalty to Geelong (you can question that all you want, but the Abletts are Geelong through and through), but loyalty will only go so far, so unless Geelong can get close to matching GC's offer the smart bet would be with Ablett securing a better financial future for himself at GC.

Gary's short term financial future may lie at the GC, but longterm is a different matter. It takes a solid character to remain a one club player in this day and age. Yes, he could make more money elsewhere, as could all of our players, but if they show loyalty to the team and loyalty to the town, a bright future is ahead of them. You could expect no shortage of job opportunities if you gave your heart and soul to a one town team like Geelong.

Has there been any talk about a decision on our request for increased compensation? This is really where my anger will be if it eventuates, I am quite philosphical about Ablett leaving, 180 games and hopefully four grand finals and three premierships is pretty good return on investment but
if we don't get some compensation I will be livid.

Talk of Boak playing at Geelong is utter fantasy.

No, and this just makes the situation more uncertain. I am not even sure if there is a deadline for when the commission has to rule on our compensation proposal, so we could be waiting until post the Grand Final before we know what the compensation, or lack thereof, is.

The last I heard the commission are due to meet this week or next and that's when it's mean to be finalised.

(although it did come from hutchy)

No - and thats why anyone who thinks they 'know' that he's going are full of it. It's all opinions and theory (and thats fine) - just don't pretend that you know it's a fact. Yes moondog21 - either you are making your story up or the guy who told you is full of it.

I never made the story up, but I do hope your right about the bloke telling me being full of it. I never in my wildest dreams imagined Gary ever playing for anyone else. I personally still think he's a Geelong player for life but he was willing to bet he's life on it that the story was correct. So yes I'm hoping he is full of shit and I'm proven wrong.

Gary's short term financial future may lie at the GC, but longterm is a different matter. It takes a solid character to remain a one club player in this day and age. Yes, he could make more money elsewhere, as could all of our players, but if they show loyalty to the team and loyalty to the town, a bright future is ahead of them. You could expect no shortage of job opportunities if you gave your heart and soul to a one town team like Geelong.

Solid point, cant argue with that. I guess ultimatley he is going to be financially secure what ever he does. And it would be a massive shame if he ends his career at GC and is remembered as a Gold Coast player (Like Deisel at Carlton) instead of a the Geelong Champion that he is.

Solid point, cant argue with that. I guess ultimatley he is going to be financially secure what ever he does. And it would be a massive shame if he ends his career at GC and is remembered as a Gold Coast player (Like Deisel at Carlton) instead of a the Geelong Champion that he is.

He will be remembered where ever he has had the most success.
Williams Premiership player at Carlton , Bretton a Hawthorn player

One of my early issue with Bomber Thompson was that I doubted he would ever be able to surpass what he did at Ess. Guess I was wrong on that but who believes that GA could go to GC win a Brownlow and win multiple Flags?
He will be remember as a Geelong player but one who left us in our era of Glory. How our side goes post an Ablett departure would also effect how he is remembered. If we keep winning or if we started losing ,both would have their spin on his reputation.

Its now been confirmed. Two first rounders for Ablett if he goes.

"Under the system, clubs will receive two first-round picks in the national draft if they lose an uncontracted player judged by the League to be the ‘top echelon’ of talent.

The first compensation selection will be placed immediately after that club’s selection in round one of that year’s draft, while the second selection will be placed at the midpoint of round one, after the teams that have missed the finals have had their round-one selection."

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96805/default.aspx

Its now been confirmed. Two first rounders for Ablett if he goes.

"Under the system, clubs will receive two first-round picks in the national draft if they lose an uncontracted player judged by the League to be the ‘top echelon’ of talent.

The first compensation selection will be placed immediately after that club’s selection in round one of that year’s draft, while the second selection will be placed at the midpoint of round one, after the teams that have missed the finals have had their round-one selection."

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96805/default.aspx

I rarely ever post on bigfooty but this got me so rallied up i couldnt hold my silence any longer.

This compensation as detailed above is STILL a F****** slap in the face to every geelong (and AFL) supporter in the land. Assuming we finish around 4th - 6th in 2012 and decide to use the picks we would roughly receive something like pick #11 and #15 for ablett, taking into account that 18 teams will be in the competition. And that is an absolute travesty.

An equitable compensation would involve a top 3 pick another top 10 and something more which has been a precedent in the past (Judd) for the absolute 'top echelon' of talent. The above formula would be good for players in the 'very good' bracket say Deledio or Sam Fisher or Higgins etc but players at the absolute top - Ablett, Judd, Roey etc deserve far more.

I sure hope the GFC take further action and take it right up to that c*** Demetrio.

.... All will be fine if Gaz just puts his loyalty in front of short term greed.

cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we won the spoon it would be nearing his extrinsic value.

If we took it when we were a finals team it would be similar to what Richmond got for Ottens.

It's reasonable but it's still not near his real value.

If we won the spoon it would be nearing his extrinsic value.

If we took it when we were a finals team it would be similar to what Richmond got for Ottens.

It's reasonable but it's still not near his real value.

True but the fact is that he will be out of contract so we were never going to get a fair trade. We are just lucky they dont have the free agency like in the NBA, then we would get nothing.

If Ablett doesn't "want" to play for Geelong at whatever money we are offering him, then I would prefer he goes, so any compensation will be great, thanks very much.

Two things;

1. Anyone notice that Gary Ablett is back on the Geelong website. (www.geelongcats.com.au) He was replaced by Scarlett a while back, but now is back.

2. Another take on why Ablett hasn't signed.
Geelong (Brian Cook) have refused to increase Ablett's initial contract offer despite Liam Pickering pushing for a increased offer in light of the Gold Coast contract offer that came afterwards. Liam has instructed Gary to wait until the end of the year in the hope that Geelong crack and increase the offer before the deadline at the end of the season.

Could it just be be smart Player Management to get the best figure for his client? Is Liam Pickering just playing games with GFC knowing full well that Gazza wants to stay at Geelong?

Considering the AFL announced today that Geelong may get 2 first round picks for G Ablett, it might be a good business decision to let him go. If they could secure two picks within the top 10 (Hyperthetically 2 & 7....perhaps fanciful also). Then it would be a good deal and would free up significant cap space to keep other players around.
Hope he stays, but I am also realistic that he may not be able to resist the $$$ AND if that is the case I hope the GFC are adequately compensated like the Eagles were.

Two things;

1. Anyone notice that Gary Ablett is back on the Geelong website. (www.geelongcats.com.au) He was replaced by Scarlett a while back, but now is back.

Geelong (Brian Cook) have refused to increase Ablett's initial contract offer despite Liam Pickering pushing for a increased offer in light of the Gold Coast contract offer that came afterwards. Liam has instructed Gary to wait until the end of the year in the hope that Geelong crack and increase the offer before the deadline at the end of the season.

Could it just be be smart Player Management to get the best figure for his client? Is Liam Pickering just playing games with GFC knowing full well that Gazza wants to stay at Geelong?

Could it be that the club considered, on the balance of probabilities, that a Blight lead consortium tied-up Gaz with thirty pieces of shiny coin some time back and wisely decided they weren't going to be sucked into an auction.

To be frank, if his heart isn't in playing for a club that has done so much for him (like Buddy, Rooie, Higgins, Cotchin, Tippett, Martin and all the other key players sought by GC have done with their respective clubs) he can piss off.

Two things;

actually i did notice ablett was taken off the GFC.com.au page interestingly enough probably a couple of months ago. interesting. we will just have to wait and see what happens.

my money is for him staying.

I will say this once more and once more only, Ablett has already told the players and coach that he is leaving and he will announce it after his contract with Geelong expires. Travis Boak has already committed to Geelong which will be determined with a three way settlement between Geelong, GC and Port. Say what u must but that is what's happening

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know this? Where you there when he said this? I didn't know that footy clubs let people like you into their private meetings? I'm sure that they won't do it again, since you have repeated a claimed converstaion in private.

Where is your evidence?

I think that the truth is that you talk B.S.

Maybe there is another reason that Gary Ablett has delayed his contract negotiations until the end of the year. Here is a scenario I want you to at least consider:-

Maybe Gazza has been told by Pickering to hold off because of his form and the side's good form at the moment. Think about it. At the start of the year, Gazza said that he would sign mid-season. Maybe Pickers pointed out that if Gazza delays his decision until season's end, he may win another MVP, another Brownlow and another Premiership medallion. Suddenly, his worth has gone up, and can negotiate a better contract.

Currently, he is a three-time MVP, a one-time Brownlow winner, and a two-time premiership player. Geelong want to sign him as such, so that they can get him for cheaper. But Pickering, as any player agent would do, has told Gazza to hold out and see if he wins adds another MVP, Brownlow or premiership, and then he can command more on his next contract. Remember, he hadn't won anything last time he signed, so he is entitled to ask for more this time around.

Geelong want him to sign NOW, so that they can pay him less, as he has achieved less. So, I think that it is more Ablett holding out to gain advantage in contract negotiations, rather than it meaning that he has already signed with GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back