Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest (out for the rest of the season)

Remove this Banner Ad

The medical team, which includes the independent AFL doctor, not picking up exactly what was wrong is not surprising or particularly bad given the situation, BUT where it got ugly was it was completely obvious to anyone that Trac should not be going back on. Not only did he go back on, but he went back on for 21 minutes straight. Out of 50 quarters he's played in this year he's only played that long in 3 of them.

It absolutely reeks of an extreme example of the horrendous injury management of the last few years. You could just about pick a name out of a hat and you'd find something in their history about being mismanaged when it comes to injuries. Just this year we've clearly seen it with Oliver, Viney, May, Gawn, Petty, Turner, Salem, Trac, Lever and more, and just ask Charlie Spargo how he reckons it was handled.

Trac had to be basically carried off the field. It's unbelievable he was allowed back on. Our performance in the last 2 finals series and so far this year has been hampered by this issue IMO.
100% Goodwin plays players into the ground. 2022 finals the biggest example. We were absolutely cooked in that finals series.

I find it so weird they listed his availability as indefinite on the club website when it is very clear he is done for the season.

Goodwin:

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

The medical team, which includes the independent AFL doctor, not picking up exactly what was wrong is not surprising or particularly bad given the situation, BUT where it got ugly was it was completely obvious to anyone that Trac should not be going back on. Not only did he go back on, but he went back on for 21 minutes straight. Out of 50 quarters he's played in this year he's only played that long in 3 of them.

It absolutely reeks of an extreme example of the horrendous injury management of the last few years. You could just about pick a name out of a hat and you'd find something in their history about being mismanaged when it comes to injuries. Just this year we've clearly seen it with Oliver, Viney, May, Gawn, Petty, Turner, Salem, Trac, Lever and more, and just ask Charlie Spargo how he reckons it was handled.

Trac had to be basically carried off the field. It's unbelievable he was allowed back on. Our performance in the last 2 finals series and so far this year has been hampered by this issue IMO.
Horribly mismanaged. By the club, AFL and Trac really. I have zero faith in anyone at the club getting anything right atm. Bit of a shambles really.

Once again club completely misses the point that a cursory glance at the way Petracca was moving showed he was not right at all.

I knew the press conference today would tilt me but I still watched it anyway. Goody sitting up there with that stupid grin on his face and the "all the people questioning our doctors arent doctors" line wound me right up, yes im not a doctor, but even I said there is some bad internal injuries there, ship him off to hospital for scans the moment it happened. You should hire me as the club doctor you fukwit Simon.

I mean there's no way this model is good use of public funds. The AFL would have to run it.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
A CT scanner would cost maybe a couple of $Mill, but a one off cost say every 9/10 years, plus maintenance.

After that every ground a game is on, should have ultrasound machines within a home ground medical facility. as a minimum. Cost minimal in the cost of a stadium.

A couple of attendant physicians to be backed up by Mica Ambos. that should be able to run this facility as a Pre Hospital ER.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every ground should be equipped with a state of the art private hospital complete with emergency department, ICU, infectious diseases ward and a maternity ward.

With the women's comp you never know if a player will go into labour halfway through a game.

A CT scanner would cost maybe a couple of $Mill, but a one off cost say every 9/10 years, plus maintenance.

After that every ground a game is on, should have ultrasound machines within a home ground medical facility. as a minimum. Cost minimal in the cost of a stadium.

A couple of attendant physicians to be backed up by Mica Ambos. that should be able to run this facility as a Pre Hospital ER.
And what happens when the CT shows internal damage requiring surgery? Will this facility also have surgeons, or are we rolling this skillset into these two positions which can run the equivalent of a major trauma centre?

Or will the patient be transported to a hospital for treatment? May as well transport the patient to the hospital to get the scan in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with the current medical model. Petracca received a POCUS (point of care ultrasound) at the ground I'm led to believe, which showed no major bleeding. All the uproar about Trac being sent back on is classic Captain Hindsight crap. Sure it was obvious he was in a lot of pain, but broken ribs alone explain that. Once he tried to play and reported more symptoms which could not be explained by broken ribs, he was sent to hospital.

I've ruptured my spleen, it took hours and multiple different scans and tests in the ED to diagnose it. People need to chill.

And what happens when the CT shows internal damage requiring surgery? Will this facility also have surgeons, or are we rolling this skillset into these two positions which can run the equivalent of a major trauma centre?

Or will the patient be transported to a hospital for treatment? May as well transport the patient to the hospital to get the scan in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with the current medical model. Petracca received a POCUS (point of care ultrasound) at the ground I'm led to believe, which showed no major bleeding. All the uproar about Trac being sent back on is classic Captain Hindsight crap. Sure it was obvious he was in a lot of pain, but broken ribs alone explain that. Once he tried to play and reported more symptoms which could not be explained by broken ribs, he was sent to hospital.

I've ruptured my spleen, it took hours and multiple different scans and tests in the ED to diagnose it. People need to chill.

Thats the whole point, its done so much earlier than before transporting in the Ambo. The Mica ambos would be a part of that diagnosis, and if a critical emergency, the air ambulance could land on the oval... or just outside the ground IF necessary.
Otherwise immediate transfer by the Mica ambulance to the nearest trauma hospital. With the Mica team having been part of the diagnosis, helps them to know what to do.

If some in the crowd has a major stroke, or major bleed, like an embolism or other, this facility would be a life saver.
Or someone falls backward down the steps and cracks they're head open, (similar to a coward punch injury), this facility would have paid for itself, it it saved just one person in a 12 month period.
-------------------------

The two house medics would be like the registrar at an major trauma ward, and one an assistant skilled in the operation of the CT equipment.
This would be all backed up by the Mica Ambo's out watching the game, before they were called into action.

So the ER as its swung into action, would then be staffed by the 2 house ER medics, with support from 2 or 3 Mica Paramedics.

I imagine there would be two ambulances attending the MCG and Marvel matches, on game-days.

Hell, why not build an ambulance base within the major grounds building structures. Huge populated places like these grounds are where emergencies can happen.

I'm sure the police have they're own rooms within the grounds. Well, even better to have the ambulances based similarly.

That's why you should need a licence to have kids. Too many dumb campaigners rubbing genitals with other dumb campaigners
I agree with you utterly.

I just had to comment that your description of the act of love there reminds me that you are a true romantic

great username to post content

Him and his family were absolutely pissed at the the club, you can tell by the way he answered.
Firstly, his media skills are top tier.

Secondly, to be honest I did not read that from the interview about them being pissed at the club. Rather just angry at the situation.

If there is an issue, that you believe exists, it will come out (be it he moves away from Melbourne OR Goodwin goes).

He's a gem isn't he, Petracca? He's too good for this shit club.
Think how good he could have been for a club that didn't play boring ****ing shit defensive footy. Hed have bags of 6 and 7s by now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back