Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

There was certainly games i can remember where with Oliver out, they put more time into Viney as the next best mid behind Trac. I suppose as well that Trac looks a lot more flashy in the games he plays well in. Umpires notice, so do the coaches.

I'd also feel that goody maybe leans towards mids anyway

Do they release any vote counts beyond the top 10? Or was anybody there who has an idea of how the others fared?

Also love somebody to have a crack at 11-20 who is smarter than me!

Just hope he recovers OK.

Absolute black mark on our club he was sent back out there. Everyone who comes out with the bullshit ‘be wanted to go back on’ excuse let me remind you how many times we’ve had this happen:

2017 Viney re-injures his foot in his ****ing return game against Port
2019 Joel Smith does a groin and is sent back on in a preseason game
Literally every time we’ve played an unfit Salem
2021 Played May with a torn hammy in the GF
2022 finals series played Gawn and Trac both on one leg
2024 Played Spargo off injury, instantly worsens said injury in round 1
2024 Rushes a clearly unfit Oliver back into the team
2024 Sends Petracca back on the ground with a very serious injury

Add in the reported discourse between Goody and the club doctor about playing Brayshaw off a concussion and it’s a comprehensive list of Goodwin risking players welfare.

Absolute black mark on our club he was sent back out there. Everyone who comes out with the bullshit ‘be wanted to go back on’ excuse let me remind you how many times we’ve had this happen:

Add in the reported discourse between Goody and the club doctor about playing Brayshaw off a concussion and it’s a comprehensive list of Goodwin risking players welfare.
Add May 1.5 weeks off broken ribs and a spinal fracture (doped up to his eyeballs) earlier this year, the management of Joel Smith's concussions from a few years back, rushing Petty in off a Lisfranc injury this year, rushing Fritsch back from his footy injury last year (hurt it again first game back), every time Gawn has been rushed back (including playing injured in last year's finals) etc. That Trac injury in 2022 was with a legit broken leg too.

There's an extensive history.

Also remember a very dubious head knock to Jetta against the Lions in 2019 or 2020 where he came back on without a concussion test.

Add May 1.5 weeks off broken ribs and a spinal fracture (doped up to his eyeballs) earlier this year, the management of Joel Smith's concussions from a few years back, rushing Petty in off a Lisfranc injury this year, rushing Fritsch back from his footy injury last year (hurt it again first game back), every time Gawn has been rushed back (including playing injured in last year's finals) etc. That Trac injury in 2022 was with a legit broken leg too.

There's an extensive history.

Yep, it is staggering how bad it’s been when you reel it off like this.

"I’m grateful I still have the opportunity to give it my all again in 2025."

Grim
Me remembering there will be another footy season next year.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club reposted and then deleted Petracca's IG post. Probably didn't align with Goodwin's plan to play him next week.
Either that or the media department was offended Petracca's post got 40k likes and their repost was only at 900 something

Club reposted and then deleted Petracca's IG post. Probably didn't align with Goodwin's plan to play him next week.
Smart move by the club. List him as "2 to 4 weeks" and let the oppo keep guessing.

The nuffs running the club definitely wanting to spin some optimistic message (or not get questioned on social media about injury management) and have given a dressing down to the bag of sawdust that runs the socials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back