Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

We wont trade... no matter how many people want us to although we would have to give a chance in the senior team next year has the perfect body to be a key forward

Give him a chance next year, if he does not perform then delist. We have invested too much in him to trade him this year. Delisting him next year will be a bit like the Laycock decision- hugely talented player but cruelled by injury. Hopefully he gets over his injuries though.

Give him a chance next year, if he does not perform then delist. We have invested too much in him to trade him this year. Delisting him next year will be a bit like the Laycock decision- hugely talented player but cruelled by injury. Hopefully he gets over his injuries though.

Spot on.

Needs a massive pre season.

Ahhh Gumby. Such a depressing story. I received an email during the week for some promo run by the EFC encouraging members of the community to improve their skills and qualifications. They had Gumby as the ambassador of the campaign. Makes you wonder whether both club and player have resigned to the fact he ain't going to make it.

Regardless, he needs to be delisted and re-rookied. Can't afford to have him on the seniors list.

WAS hit the nail on the head.

Will play next year and hope his luck turns.

Can see him leaving EFC at the end of 2012 - Will get picked up by steak knives.

Looking back in hindsight - Gumbleton 2 and Hansen 3 - The two KP guns from the 2006 ND - Hansen has only been average - Thinking that even if Gumby wasn't so injury prone - He may have become only a good player.

Regardless, he needs to be delisted and re-rookied. Can't afford to have him on the seniors list.

This makes no sense at all. You do realise he is contracted right? This would mean Esseondon has to pay him out, then pay him a rookie contract and his terminated contract would still count in the salary cap.

He's got a year to run on his contract. He will be given every chance to have a crack next year. Even if he doesn't play senior this year, which he wont, he has played a few games in a row now. He can have his 4 weeks off and come back ready to do a full preseason.

He has talent, is 198cm, can run all day and can take a mark. He'll be given every chance to get his body right.

This makes no sense at all. You do realise he is contracted right? This would mean Esseondon has to pay him out, then pay him a rookie contract and his terminated contract would still count in the salary cap.

Don't forget you've actually got to pick him in the rookie draft - and hope no-one picks him up beforehand.

Seems "delist him and rookie him" is the it thing this season. Well that and thinking all young guns from other teams are homesick....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18 disposals, 10 marks and 2 goals against last years premiers in a game we lost by over 10 goals.

I don't understand this post. Yes, he played a great game against the premieres last year.Yes the potential is there, no one is doubting that, but you don't take one game into consideration when making a decision on his future.

Its well known that I am not Gumby's biggest supporter.

I have been warned for 5 years that I would "need to eat humble pie"

Don't see that ever happening especially as I don't think it is just injuries holding him back now. Gumby has been relatively fit for several weeks and yet lagged in the 2's because guys like hooker, carlisle, pears, hurley, crameri, ryder are all ahead of him in the "mobile tall" category.

I just don't see where Gumby would fit in... the club clearly made a decision to invest in talls with our early draft picks which is risky because most clubs go talls later in the draft or with rookie picks. The strategy however netted us Hurley and Ryder so sometimes you take the good with the bad, coupled with horrendous injuries has seen this pick not pan out. Which is a real real shame, I think a number 2 midfielder would be the PERFECT fit for us right now.

The decision should have been made two years ago to trade him while he still had some currency (I think both WCE and FREO made offers...). He has no currency now so you keep him as back up next year and then see how it goes.

I don't understand this post. Yes, he played a great game against the premieres last year.Yes the potential is there, no one is doubting that, but you don't take one game into consideration when making a decision on his future.

I dont understand this thread. He has shown he is capable at AFL level, why trade or delist? Many considered Chris Dawes to be a revelation for Collingwood last season with 30 goals from 20 matches, Gumby had 19 goals from 17 matches in a terrible side.

Its well known that I am not Gumby's biggest supporter.

I have been warned for 5 years that I would "need to eat humble pie"

Don't see that ever happening especially as I don't think it is just injuries holding him back now. Gumby has been relatively fit for several weeks and yet lagged in the 2's because guys like hooker, carlisle, pears, hurley, crameri, ryder are all ahead of him in the "mobile tall" category.

I just don't see where Gumby would fit in... the club clearly made a decision to invest in talls with our early draft picks which is risky because most clubs go talls later in the draft or with rookie picks. The strategy however netted us Hurley and Ryder so sometimes you take the good with the bad, coupled with horrendous injuries has seen this pick not pan out. Which is a real real shame, I think a number 2 midfielder would be the PERFECT fit for us right now.

The decision should have been made two years ago to trade him while he still had some currency (I think both WCE and FREO made offers...). He has no currency now so you keep him as back up next year and then see how it goes.

The part in bold is totally wrong. The injuries have held him back as he has had a few back spasm issue over the last 3 months and they had decided to just play a few Bendigo games until season end to keep him in shape for pre season and a long build up.
He has not been in contention for senior selection as they are using this period as a guild up towards next season so he has not been lagging behind other players and been reasonably fit. It has been a deliberate build up aimed at next year.

Not that it means a lot as he is just as likely to suffer the same hammy tightness and back spasm problems again so i am not holding my breath waiting for him to be the great player he may have been or even the good player he may be.
Having suffered through similar back issues i have my doubts on him.
Too bad really as he was a really good under 18 player but i just can not see him being part of the future because of the continual injuries.

Contracted for another year so he will take a spot on the list for 2012. Dont like the fact he is taking a spot on the list, denying an opportunity for someone else. Could we still contract him & move him to the Rookie list ? I seriously doubt he will ever make any sustainable meaningful contrabution to the club. If he was moved to the Rookie list, he could be upgraded if he deserves it.

Has there in recent memory, been any other footballer to suffer the kind of consistant serious injuries Gumby has and return to become a good footballer?
Can any one give me a few examples ?

Didn't Neagle have a year to run when we delisted him?

I don't see how Gumby is any different.

you serious?

Because Neagle didn't have the mental application and didn't train hard enough. Gumby has been cruelled by injuries. How the hell is that not different?

People seem to forget it was just LAST YEAR where Gumby played 18 odd games and was pretty damn good and structurally important.

He's actually put on some bulk now, so he could be a real weapon. Sure, his body may not let him, but talk of delisting him is ****ing stupid.

I'm going the other way to Rines and sticking with my man. Gumby will come good! Go Gumby!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back