AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing that the narrative would be so different if we won or he kicked 2 of his 4 behind

I just dont see a KPF that we could use his pick 10 (compensation) on that is wanting to come to the club that is worth that?

Also if your moving Parish on, may aswell be moving Stringer on aswell and those opinions cant be exclusive. Your saying we cant finish top 4 in 2025

Amazing that the narrative would be so different if we won or he kicked 2 of his 4 behind

I just dont see a KPF that we could use his pick 10 (compensation) on that is wanting to come to the club that is worth that?

Also if your moving Parish on, may aswell be moving Stringer on aswell and those opinions cant be exclusive. Your saying we cant finish top 4 in 2025
But he didn’t that’s the point

Why would we move on stringer?
Parish is different we’ve got young mids coming through, that give exposure can cover his output within 18 months.
It’s not just about parish the player, it’s also the money he’s about to get. If were talking about a 2 year extension, go pay it. But likely a 5 or 6 year deal, is it really necessary when we’ve got kids coming through who if given his spot could be better players long term.

But he didn’t that’s the point
And what about the win? Its almost down to shear luck. The conversation is far far different if we win, surely even your stubborness can admit that?
I don't think I was saying that, but thanks for the context-free assessment of what every single BF poster is saying.
If your trading Parish then you dont think we can challenge as soon as 2025 ie top 4?

Thus whats the need for Stringer? he will be lucky to be running in 2026

Get something for him. Top clubs will offer plenty for 2 years of Stringer if they feel it can tip them over the edge for a flag in 2024/25

And what about the win? Its almost down to shear luck. The conversation is far far different if we win, surely even your stubborness can admit that?

If your trading Parish then you dont think we can challenge as soon as 2025 ie top 4?

Thus whats the need for Stringer? he will be lucky to be running in 2026

Get something for him. Top clubs will offer plenty for 2 years of Stringer if they feel it can tip them over the edge for a flag in 2024/25
Well if he kicks those goals we win, so it’s all related. I’ve been on the let parish go train all year. A win wouldn’t have changed my opinion.

How does letting parish go have anything to do with finishing top 4 in 2025. With 20 more midfield games into caldwell and hobbs we are likely a better side, plus more opportunities for tsatas it’ll likely we are a better side.
And as I said the money we are about to pay him does come into it. You don’t want to come to a position where suddenly you want him off the books in 2-3 years when we are in the window.

Because he wants to be at only 1 club?

And has told the footy world this

When is the last time a 'gun' came up for FA, let alone came out of contract,.and no one was linked as having tabled an offer?

We've even gone through the soft sell of 'we have to prove we're on the right track for Darce' and no interest reported.

When is the last time a 'gun' came up for FA, let alone came out of contract,.and no one was linked as having tabled an offer?

We've even gone through the soft sell of 'we have to prove we're on the right track for Darce' and no interest reported.
I’d say geelong are interested but they usually keep their cards close to their chest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if he kicks those goals we win, so it’s all related. I’ve been on the let parish go train all year. A win wouldn’t have changed my opinion.

How does letting parish go have anything to do with finishing top 4 in 2025. With 20 more midfield games into caldwell and hobbs we are likely a better side, plus more opportunities for tsatas it’ll likely we are a better side.

FWIW I don't think missing a few goals in one particular game means much, Parish isn't a noted bad kick for goal generally. He didn't have a particularly great or impactful game compared to what we've seen from him previously.

I’d say geelong are interested but they usually keep their cards close to their chest.

He's also come out and said he wants to stay, so it could simply be that behind closed doors they've already made it clear he won't be moving and that given EFC is already a big Victorian club and has plenty of cash, there's limited reasons for clubs to try all that hard to move him.

FWIW I don't think missing a few goals in one particular game means much, Parish isn't a noted bad kick for goal generally. He didn't have a particularly great or impactful game compared to what we've seen from him previously.
No of course but as I’ve previously said. You put your hand out for multi million dollar deals it’s your job to kick those goals in that situation. That’s what big time top tiered paid players do. If not you should only be getting 5-600 a year.

No question here, adding a question mark to a statement doesn't make it a question.
Ok,

If your trading Parish then you cant think we can challenge as soon as 2025 ie top 4, can you?

And as I said the money we are about to pay him does come into it. You don’t want to come to a position where suddenly you want him off the books in 2-3 years when we are in the window.
Is a 3rd year Tsatas, 4th year Hobbs 24 yr old Caldwell along with Setterfield and Z.Merrett (Who id tag if oppo in this case) going to get it done in 2025?

He's also come out and said he wants to stay, so it could simply be that behind closed doors they've already made it clear he won't be moving and that given EFC is already a big Victorian club and has plenty of cash, there's limited reasons for clubs to try all that hard to move him.
True but just because a player says they want to stay doesn’t mean they will. He might want to stay but what if he gets offered something not to his liking, does he still stay or go get more money somewhere else?

Again, statement, not a question. Adding a question mark doesn't make it a discussion point.

"Do you think we can challenge for Top 4 in 2025 without Parish?" is a very different question.
And your answer?

a type of sentence expressed in a form that requires—or at least appears to require—an answer

even you could see it appeared i wanted an answer, based on your responses

True but just because a player says they want to stay doesn’t mean they will. He might want to stay but what if he gets offered something not to his liking, does he still stay or go get more money somewhere else?

I doubt it was ever likely we'd offer so far under the odds he'd choose to leave, I don't think he'll get $1m / year type contract offers from anywhere.

He's a good all-round midfielder, but not in that top echelon of guys like Dangerfield / Martin / Petracca that would get the big money offers.

He's better than a $500k p.a. player, but I doubt anyone is offering him much more than ~ $800k p.a. Which is a number EFC can easily abosrb, and front-load.

Ok,

If your trading Parish then you cant think we can challenge as soon as 2025 ie top 4, can you?

Is a 3rd year Tsatas, 4th year Hobbs 24 yr old Caldwell along with Setterfield and Z.Merrett (Who id tag if oppo in this case) going to get it done in 2025?
Who knows it’s 2 years away, we have no idea at this stage 😂
From the glimpses we’ve seen of limited midfield hobbs, he could be close to an a grader by 2025, caldwell in the same boat. Sydney’s midfield is extremely young, along with freos, look at ports - with wines doing absolutely zero this year. Sometimes giving the keys to the midfield to your young stars is the best choice you can make. Port are going to finish top 2 with their star mids being 19, 23, 23 and a role player in drew 24.

I doubt it was ever likely we'd offer so far under the odds he'd choose to leave, I don't think he'll get $1m / year type contract offers from anywhere.

He's a good all-round midfielder, but not in that top echelon of guys like Dangerfield / Martin / Petracca that would get the big money offers.

He's better than a $500k p.a. player, but I doubt anyone is offering him much more than ~ $800k p.a. Which is a number EFC can easily abosrb, and front-load.
Yeh I was mor going along the lines of we offer say 750x4 and someone offers 850x5/6 . Surely that would make you think. You’d have to be brain dead to offer him close to the million.

And your answer?

Yes, given I think 2025 is the earliest I see EFC being a consistent Top-4 type of side, a 4th year Hobbs / 3rd year Tsatas / Caldwell / Perkins / Merrett / Setterfield / <other> mix seems fine to me.

If someone came a knocking with a good offer for Stringer I'd say the club should take it, but I doubt they will.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back