AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

I do hope our esteemed list manager doesn’t over pay to extend Parish. Darcy is probably the finished product, and I already prefer our starting midfield with Hobbs & Caldwell.

If those two don’t go could go past him within 12 months I’d be surprised.

1. Those kids are mids ours are talls, you need 5-6 years before you’ll know what they’ll be
2. Go and look at rozee’s stats for the first 3 years while he played half forward, very similar to Perkins. Playing half forward is the death position.
Can’t compare Perkins to Rozee. Rozee has an elite burst of speed which Perkins doesn’t. Perkins will play 200 games and be a good role player but won’t be an All Australian.

Can’t compare Perkins to Rozee. Rozee has an elite burst of speed which Perkins doesn’t. Perkins will play 200 games and be a good role player but won’t be an All Australian.
I’m not comparing the player. I’m comparing the role

Perkins has elite agility, speed isn’t everything. He’s got more talent than almost anyone on our list, it will be whether he can manage to get out of himself. Not sure he has the same sort of footy drive as a Daicos type, where you know they aren’t going to leave anything to chance. Have the talent but also put in all the work.

You can't really compare picks spent in different draft classes. Port built in the 2018 draft, we sold everything to bring in Dylan ******* Shiel who can't even impact as a sub.
Imagine we had those 3 back to back to back picks this year instead of 2020.

Tsatas, Humphrey & Phillipou

Imagine we had those 3 back to back to back picks this year instead of 2020.

Tsatas, Humphrey & Phillipou
I think that Bowes choice will be a fascinating sliding doors moment in a few years time. No Hayes or Setterfield probably

Perkins has elite agility, speed isn’t everything. He’s got more talent than almost anyone on our list, it will be whether he can manage to get out of himself. Not sure he has the same sort of footy drive as a Daicos type, where you know they aren’t going to leave anything to chance. Have the talent but also put in all the work.
Good point.

You’d never see an A grader like Petracca or Heeney finish in front of goal like that.
ironically they kicked 10 behinds between them, and 2 (or 3) out of bounds on the full(s). no goals.

1688288064044.png
1688288076416.png
1688288091509.png

out of these 3 heeney (from the first half, i couldn't stomach another quarter) arguably played the worst this round.

Watching the replay and Parish has done nothing (in this game) that demands to keep him in. Its not like his clearance work was so much better than anyone else's that we keep him. His goal kicking was woeful.

Obviously not a great advertisement to keep him but something to keep in mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would never question Perkins work ethic as I know for a fact he works very hard away from the club in the off season.
The problem is the game is becoming about speed. Have a look at Collingwood. If you aren’t good aerially or a great contested player you better have some pace. Only way I see him becoming anything more than a role player is if he could make it as an inside mid which I don’t know if he can.

I would never question Perkins work ethic as I know for a fact he works very hard away from the club in the off season.
The problem is the game is becoming about speed. Have a look at Collingwood. If you aren’t good aerially or a great contested player you better have some pace. Only way I see him becoming anything more than a role player is if he could make it as an inside mid which I don’t know if he can.
Yeh it’s not just about working hard at being fit. There’s a lot of other stuff that goes into it. Perkins ran a 2.92 20m at combine, so by definition he’s actually got elite speed. And long term Perkins isn’t an inside mid, not sure why everyone is trying to turn him into that. Really our aim should be to have him like Heeney, when he had more size and allow him to win one on ones when isolated. Like how langford has confidence now that he has the size. Yes having Perkins attend centre bounces, but being a full time inside mid - not sure we’d be using his strengths.
Does pendles have pace btw?

Yeh it’s not just about working hard at being fit. There’s a lot of other stuff that goes into it. Perkins ran a 2.92 20m at combine, so by definition he’s actually got elite speed. And long term Perkins isn’t an inside mid, not sure why everyone is trying to turn him into that. Really our aim should be to have him like Heeney, when he had more size and allow him to win one on ones when isolated. Like how langford has confidence now that he has the size. Yes having Perkins attend centre bounces, but being a full time inside mid - not sure we’d be using his strengths.
Does pendles have pace btw?
Yeah wouldn’t really worry what players ran at combine as half those players don’t use speed in game. Langford had a quick 20m sprint.
Dk why you are comparing Perkins to Pendlebury. Pendlebury has movements only a few players in history have. You say Perkins has elite agility. Well Pendles has even better than that. One of the greatest ball users of all time which Perkins is a poor ball user tbh. Footy IQ levels are a bit different.
What are Perkins strengths out of curiosity?

Yeah wouldn’t really worry what players ran at combine as half those players don’t use speed in game. Langford had a quick 20m sprint.
Dk why you are comparing Perkins to Pendlebury. Pendlebury has movements only a few players in history have. You say Perkins has elite agility. Well Pendles has even better than that. One of the greatest ball users of all time which Perkins is a poor ball user tbh. Footy IQ levels are a bit different.
What are Perkins strengths out of curiosity?
I’m not comparing Perkins to pendles, pendles is one of the best footballers in the past 20 years. I’m using him as example to you saying you need speed to play as a mid. You’re acting like Perkins is jobe Watson 😂
And langford is quick off the mark, he’s just a laconic mover around the ground.

Perkins strengths- ability to win 1 on1s, break tackles, contested work, strong above head marking, agility in the contest, elite finisher inside 50, penetrating kick.

I haven’t spoken much about this bloke but to me he is like an unpolished Merritt but closer to the coal face (more inside). Individually he is a very productive cog that doesn’t seem to mesh with the other cogs.

The best I’ve seen him though is when Setterfield is in the side then all of a sudden his cogs are working with Setters cogs that work with the other mids cogs.

I’m not comparing Perkins to pendles, pendles is one of the best footballers in the past 20 years. I’m using him as example to you saying you need speed to play as a mid. You’re acting like Perkins is jobe Watson 😂
And langford is quick off the mark, he’s just a laconic mover around the ground.

Perkins strengths- ability to win 1 on1s, break tackles, contested work, strong above head marking, agility in the contest, elite finisher inside 50, penetrating kick.
Said good in the contest or aerially if you don’t have pace didn’t I? Pendles one of the greatest ever at stoppages?

I’m acting like Perkins is Jobe Watson? I said Perkins is a role player. I said the only way he becomes more than a role player imo is if he could make it as an inside mid. I don’t see him being an above average player as a forward due to lack of pace and aerial ability.

Imo I disagree that his strengths are contested work, aerial ability and kicking

Said good in the contest or aerially if you don’t have pace didn’t I? Pendles one of the greatest ever at stoppages?

I’m acting like Perkins is Jobe Watson? I said Perkins is a role player. I said the only way he becomes more than a role player imo is if he could make it as an inside mid. I don’t see him being an above average player as a forward due to lack of pace and aerial ability.

Imo I disagree that his strengths are contested work, aerial ability and kicking
Contested - pretty debatable

Overhead - he’s a classic half forward chest mark on the lead kind of guy. Not really getting that ball at the highest point.

His kicking is going to be a strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back