Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Will Day from Hawthorn has been moved inside mid after not having an impact in the backline last year and averages 25 disposals per game. He's not exactly a big body midfielder - JMac can do the same imo. I'd rather Gulden on a wing and JMac in the centre square

Put the team on his back against NM when he got moved there why not try it again get him some ball

I think he might be going to the 2s soon but man I wanted to see if he could perform as an inside mid especially after the 10 vote Norf game. Cant be worse than what we dished up in the midfield recently. Didnt look natural but he got the ball and willed the team to victory that game. Seems like he's been MIA for most of last season and this season.

Will Day from Hawthorn has been moved inside mid after not having an impact in the backline last year and averages 25 disposals per game. He's not exactly a big body midfielder - JMac can do the same imo. I'd rather Gulden on a wing and JMac in the centre square

Put the team on his back against NM when he got moved there why not try it again get him some ball
Way out of his ground in the middle. If you can't get a kick on a wing you are not going into the middle and making a difference. He is one of the least physical players in the side.

McInerney seems to be shirking the physical contest. He had the chance to drop in front of Hawkins lead a few times but opted to try to fling a hand at the ball while keeping well out of the path. I suspect Parker's words on the first instance were something like "That was your turn to go Juzzy". I can understand why dropping into the hole ahead of Tomahawk doesn't appeal but we needed inspirational efforts and McInerney seems to have taken self-preservation to a new level. He tackles with his hands rather than hitting with his body and wrapping arms around. His prefers to tackle when a player is already on the ground.

Needs to take two teaspoons of cement and harden the f up

I miss him already.

I distinctly remember not being drawn to him as a character. The ones who carry on like pork chops don't do much for me (nothing against them, just not my kinds.) It was only once McInerney seemed to go into his shell and start second-guessing himself with the ball that I realised how endeared I was to the confident kid with the strut, without even knowing it.

For whatever reason, that confidence seemed to wane, and his role also seemed to change, though that could be related to the fact he wasn't looking confident with ball in hand. It's hard to give someone who seems unsure what he's doing the license to do what he wants.

Hope he blitzes the VFL if given the chance and reminds the doubters what an awesome talent he is.

I miss him already.

I distinctly remember not being drawn to him as a character. The ones who carry on like pork chops don't do much for me (nothing against them, just not my kinds.) It was only once McInerney seemed to go into his shell and start second-guessing himself with the ball that I realised how endeared I was to the confident kid with the strut, without even knowing it.

For whatever reason, that confidence seemed to wane, and his role also seemed to change, though that could be related to the fact he wasn't looking confident with ball in hand. It's hard to give someone who seems unsure what he's doing the license to do what he wants.

Hope he blitzes the VFL if given the chance and reminds the doubters what an awesome talent he is.
He may not be the superstar that some think he is. His form has been consistent for the last 12 months. Not terrible but nothing special. Like Stephens on the other wing he’s only as good as the inside mids. Expecting the outside runners to carry a team is a tough ask. Maybe they could put him through the middle a little more.

I believe both wingers are down on form but this also relates to the 2023 Swans style and the priorities asked of both Stephens and JMac. These are to:
  • maintain maximum width
  • be the 7th and 8th defender
  • defensive is more important than offensive running.

Neither are expected to play with creativity. Each is beaten every week by opponents who play a more rounded game.

He is as much playing in a system that will not allow him to show form as being out of form.

I think he might be going to the 2s soon but man I wanted to see if he could perform as an inside mid especially after the 10 vote Norf game. Cant be worse than what we dished up in the midfield recently. Didnt look natural but he got the ball and willed the team to victory that game. Seems like he's been MIA for most of last season and this season.
I keep thinking about his performance against North. He was against Zeibell, Greenwood and Simpkin who are all strong stoppage players, and he bested them all. Definitely something there for him

Mentioned it in the GameDay thread and I'll mention it here too-
Kid has been played out of position, and hasn't been helped with the mids being poor giving him little chance of his overlapping runs. Bombing and poor skills don't help him either, completely takes him out of the game. Despite that I think some of his defensive work and being the outlet has been pretty good. He's obvs going to be limited with his size down there.

Jmac shouldn't be the one to focus on imo. He's too much of a weapon when the engine room is actually firing. His role isn't to impose himself and get us out of a hole, it's completely dependant on others.

Blokes like him, Stephens and Hayward have roles where if the team is doing s**t, makes it very hard for them to get involved. When we're good, they compliment the team massively. The only area he can improve is getting more meat on his bones. Thats when you'll see natural progression as we have seen with Florent.

Would hate to fix things up in the middle only to lack leg speed and overlapping run because he's been dropped. Thats what will get not only him, but also the team back into form, not a stint in the 2s. Horse needs to snap out of it and demand we start picking teams off with smart ball movement and overlap through the middle. It was our DNA last year. Not this bombing bs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes wonder if he's got long COVID.

As someone dealing with it myself, the physical and mental effects are staggering, and would absolutely explain a sudden, substantial and otherwise inexplicable drop in form and confidence.

Honestly surprised we haven't heard more about it affecting athletes.

Not saying it's necessarily the case for JMac but it also wouldn't surprise me.

As someone dealing with it myself, the physical and mental effects are staggering, and would absolutely explain a sudden, substantial and otherwise inexplicable drop in form and confidence.

Take care, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Wouldn’t be surprised, looks to have lost his pace. Btw - hope you recover

I liked when ginnivan kicked a goal and went over to bump mcinerney but ended up flying a few metres back into his team mates arms like the weak prick he is. Pies all got around ginnivan because he was likely to s**t himself if mcinerney gave enough of a s**t to go at him.

Pretty good game on the weekend and probably benefited from the high possession game style and the size of the MCG. Went at 87% too which is pretty good considering a lot of that was up the ground where we really struggled to hit targets.

Will be interesting to see how he goes at the SCG this weekend.

He's looking back to his best (not quite there yet - I think he can be even better than what he's shown the last few weeks.) That overlap run he provides is second to none in our team. We have a lot of fast players but none are quite as good at giving and then pushing forward to receive and go again like McInerney is.

And perhaps most importantly for a player like McInerney, his swagger is back. Some players can look like dills when they carry on like pork chops. Others seem to be better for it.

Also thought I'd mention that he has grown 2cm since being drafted. Might not seem like much but 187cm to 189cm takes him from tall wingman to near-small key position type. Clearly he wasn't done growing, unlike most players after they get drafted, so perhaps his dip in form over the past year could be partly attributed to the ups and downs of simply growing into one's body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back