AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Further setback with ankle soreness - 18/6

Remove this Banner Ad

At 193cm he may cut it at VFL level as a KPD but unfortunately I think he's just too small to compete with the big dogs in the AFL. He's basically a less mobile version of Laverde.
If this is the case then Steven May would not have made it either.
Not saying he is a lock but there are just as many 192/193/194 defenders who get the job done as there are 200cm types.
Comes down to the body strength and how they use it. He is actually very good at it.
He is not less mobile than Laverde. Not quite as quick but not less mobile.
Also uses the ball very well.

Last edited:
Not saying he is a lock but there are just as many 192/193/194 defenders who get the job done as there are 200cm types.
Comes down to the body strength and how they use it. He is actually very good at it.
Yeah it's a fair point. I guess he has age on his side. I guess I'm on the hunt for a defender who can take the 200cm forwards.

And he's a proper campaigner. Even his team members can't stand him. That counts when you're a defender.

Looked really solid today against the VFL Cats. Commentators gave him a pretty big wrap aswell and noted his strong voice and organisation skills down back...

He's very clean disposal wise too and certainly looks a level above some of his peers intensity wise

I wouldn't be to opposed to him being tried in Kelly's spot TBH...

This bloke is progressing nicely. His size is good, his temperament is good, he appears to learn and grow as a player each time he steps out. It is not unrealistic to suggest he could play fullback in the senior team consistently next year.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has hands like Hooker too, once he gets his hands on the ball it stays marked.

Has hands like Hooker too, once he gets his hands on the ball it stays marked.
Comparisons based on guys wearing the same number or having a similar physical appearance get thrown around a bit easy at times but the clean hands makes me think of Hooker too, as well as the competitiveness and I think he will be able to play swingman eventually if needed too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any reason people don't think he could do a better job in Weidermans position?

I mean I know he's playing KPD in the VFL, but he's the next best performed KPP, and he can mark the ball.

Is there any reason people don't think he could do a better job in Weidermans position?

I mean I know he's playing KPD in the VFL, but he's the next best performed KPP, and he can mark the ball.

Andrew Phillips is the swap you're looking for right now, with Bryan staying in.

Baldwin should also be playing based on form, and with Laverde possibly injured, might get a well deserved return to the AFL side.

He hasn't been playing forward, and despite being in good form down back there hasn't really been a clear opening given all our defenders were playing well. Stiff to miss out this week though, IMO should have played the rest of the season out at AFL level.
Played forward last week.

I'm aware of this, but it wasn't really viable to select him as a forward based off form prior to that. No idea how he went forward last weekend though.
Maybe they think he will not take the step to AFL level despite his good VFL form .
I would have liked to see him again but him going forward again and Weideman back was not a good sign he would be picked in place of Ridley.
Guess we will see where Cox plays I suppose..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back