Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Was he officially the skipper? Because Paps was standing next to Horse for the anthem? Don’t they let other players do the coin toss sometimes? I’ve seen other teams do it.
I thought I read somewhere in a media report about the game that Errol was skipper for the day.

Would be good to know for sure … clearly Errol will be our next captain so it’s great if they’re already giving him some experience.
This was the article I was referring too.

Working hard in his role on the wing, acting Sydney captain Errol Gulden (25 disposals, 12 marks, one goal) offered defensive coverage, sliding into a goalkeeper role for extra security, while also adding his neat kicking when repelling back out.

This was the article I was referring too.

Working hard in his role on the wing, acting Sydney captain Errol Gulden (25 disposals, 12 marks, one goal) offered defensive coverage, sliding into a goalkeeper role for extra security, while also adding his neat kicking when repelling back out.
That’s awesome, thanks for confirming 🙏

The Dylan Stephens thread is more recent than this one

Is this superstar flying under the. radar now?

Fox went on about Heeny and Warner (well deserved) I think this guy at his best is what takes us up another level. He does some odd kicks particularly early in games, but his foot is deadly. He hast quite ripped a game open yet by his already lofty standards, but think he will be out for some best ons now.

Fox went on about Heeny and Warner (well deserved) I think this guy at his best is what takes us up another level. He does some odd kicks particularly early in games, but his foot is deadly. He hast quite ripped a game open yet by his already lofty standards, but think he will be out for some best ons now.
In his latest interview he talked about seeing if he could spend the entire game on field instead of resting. That's his next challenge. Good lord!:eyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truth be told Gulden has been a bit down this year. He is still performing well, but not quite at the level he was at in the back half of 2023.

Only one of the best 20 players this year instead of one of the top 5. Massively disappointing for a 21 year old. What do you think we'd get for him on the trade table?

Only one of the best 20 players this year instead of one of the top 5. Massively disappointing for a 21 year old. What do you think we'd get for him on the trade table?

Sorry wasn't near accusing him
of being poor, meant media almost forgetting him

Could be that teams are paying more attention to him this year after his break out year in 2023.

It may be that in part but I don’t really see Gulden getting a lot of attention in games from opponents. I suspect it’s a mix of that, playing a bit more inside which limits his free flowing running and kicking and also, probably the most important element, we just don’t need him to do what he was doing in the final two months last year when he was basically our only consistent mode of great ball movement. We were just funnelling the ball to him at every turn. The side is more well balanced this year and we aren’t desperately searching for him at all times, although we definitely still search for him.

probably the most important element, we just don’t need him to do what he was doing in the final two months last year when he was basically our only consistent mode of great ball movement. We were just funnelling the ball to him at every turn. The side is more well balanced this year and we aren’t desperately searching for him at all times, although we definitely still search for him.
I think this is most of the explanation. Last year he carried the team on his shoulders for much of the season, certainly the second half. There are games we wouldn't have gotten close to winning without his herculean efforts.

There are many times I've noticed he's run into space to receive (particularly after just dishing off) and has been ignored by team mates. It may be that he's trying a bit hard to get cheap possessions, short and out wide, and his team mates are following the team plan by taking a longer, more central option. It might be a deliberate dummy play by the team to open up those other options.

Despite often being overlooked, he's still racking up over 20 possessions each game. And he's still going strong late in games. If we hadn't witnessed that extraordinary back half of last season I imagine we'd be delighted with how he's contributing at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back