Preview Round 6 vs Gold Coast Suns @ SCG, Sunday 21 April, 1.00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell, the captain tosses the coin, says a few cliched words in the pre-game huddle & that's about it.

Make Matty Roberts captain - equal opportunity dictates its time for a bloodnut to have a go at it.

At least my offering was sarcasm Jewels, much to Bedford's chagrin you have sacked the boy from Bunyip ?
Yep certainly have, he didn't exactly play a "follow me into battle" type game.Personally I'd like Lloyd or Rowie.
Don't think leadership is Isaac's thing though he is certainly leading by example.

When I was at the Richmond game and Rampe went down, I was explaining to my girlfriend (whose entire knowledge of football is the colours and Sydney's team list she memorised last year*) that we won't have a captain for next week and she said Heeney "exuded captain energy"

*She was most upset we had list changes last year and needed to learn new games
Hmmm. did she say it really breathlessly...? Should you be concerned?

Yep certainly have, he didn't exactly play a "follow me into battle" type game.Personally I'd like Lloyd or Rowie.
Don't think leadership is Isaac's thing though he is certainly leading by example.
Agree, his deeds so far this season are doing the talking for his leadership as much to say follow me boys. Don't saddle him with any extra burden. One of the most noticeable things about his form this year is he is playing on complete instinct. He is not thinking to much about anything and just letting his natural football talent come to the fore. Get the feeling for the first time in his career he is being allowed to have his head rather than being reigned in by a particular role.

Last edited:
Will be interesting how the lack of Dew will impact how the suns play the SCG.

I always felt that Dew matched up well with the swans on their home deck. For obvious reasons.
Will also be interesting how the lack of dew will impact how the Suns play the SCG, what with it being an early afternoon start.

Two players I'd like to see have really strong showings this week - Justin McInerney & Tom McCartin.

I'm a little disappointed with both of their seasons so far. Which is not to say that they've been bad, but in the case of the former, I believe he can be better than what he's shown, and in the case of the latter, we NEED him to be better than what he's shown.

McInerney's shown bits of his best footy - good overlap run, elite ball use by foot, clever goals. But it's still just bits. This is a guy who I think can have the kinds of performances that earn coaches votes and have him in the frame for one of the most damaging wingmen in the comp, but that won't be the case until he starts putting these glimpses into four-quarter performances.

And as for McCartin, whilst I don't really rate All Australians much as far as honours go, I think it's telling that eight of the last ten premiers have had a key defender in that year's All Australian side. It's generally a sign of an elite defence, or a strong one, at the least, which you need to win a flag. McCartin's not there yet, and he seems to get a bit of a free pass from Swans fans because of this "he needs help" train of thought, but I think Melican's been almost as good as McCartin, and it won't matter who is around you if you still look a nervous wreck when you have to contest a 1v1, which McCartin still often can look like.

Huge fan of both, so it's less a call-out and more a come on boys you've got this!

Agree, his deeds so far this season are doing the talking for his leadership as much to say follow me boys. Don't saddle him with any extra burden. One of the most noticeable things about his form this year is he is playing on complete instinct. He is not thinking to much about anything and just letting his natural football talent come to the fore. Get the feeling for the first time in his career he is being allowed to have his head rather than being reigned in by a particular role.
Agreed. Don’t push him up the order. We all saw what happened to Steve Smith

Cleary named in the squad

IN: Sam Wicks, Peter Ladhams, Caiden Cleary, Aaron Francis

OUT: Mitchell (omitted)

BacksNick BlakeyTom McCartinLewis Melican
Half BacksHarry CunninghamOliver FlorentJake Lloyd
CentrelineErrol GuldenChad WarnerJames Jordon
Half ForwardsJustin McInerneyLogan McDonaldTaylor Adams
ForwardsTom PapleyHayden McLeanWill Hayward
FollowersBrodie GrundyIsaac HeeneyJames Rowbottom
InterchangeMatt RobertsRobbie FoxBraeden Campbell
Joel AmarteySam WicksPeter Ladhams
Caiden ClearyAaron Francis

(I know he won't play)

CLEARY IS IN THE SQUAD!!!

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two players I'd like to see have really strong showings this week - Justin McInerney & Tom McCartin.

I'm a little disappointed with both of their seasons so far. Which is not to say that they've been bad, but in the case of the former, I believe he can be better than what he's shown, and in the case of the latter, we NEED him to be better than what he's shown.

McInerney's shown bits of his best footy - good overlap run, elite ball use by foot, clever goals. But it's still just bits. This is a guy who I think can have the kinds of performances that earn coaches votes and have him in the frame for one of the most damaging wingmen in the comp, but that won't be the case until he starts putting these glimpses into four-quarter performances.

And as for McCartin, whilst I don't really rate All Australians much as far as honours go, I think it's telling that eight of the last ten premiers have had a key defender in that year's All Australian side. It's generally a sign of an elite defence, or a strong one, at the least, which you need to win a flag. McCartin's not there yet, and he seems to get a bit of a free pass from Swans fans because of this "he needs help" train of thought, but I think Melican's been almost as good as McCartin, and it won't matter who is around you if you still look a nervous wreck when you have to contest a 1v1, which McCartin still often can look like.

Huge fan of both, so it's less a call-out and more a come on boys you've got this!

think you're being harsh on mcinerney, i think he's been among our best most weeks, his running is very important

Wicks as sub for mine. Ladhams, Francis and Cleary to miss out.

I know he is only named as an emergency but they must like what Cleary has done so far to put him there over say younger Warner and Mitchell who have been in the senior 22/23 so recently.

Last edited:
think you're being harsh on mcinerney, i think he's been among our best most weeks, his running is very important
I don't agree he's been in our 'bests'. I'd say he's been mostly in that middle tier of players, which is fine, and why I said I'm not really calling him out more hoping he lifts, because I think he CAN be in our 'bests.'

I know he is only named as an emergency but they must like what Cleary has done so far to put him there over say younger Warner and Mitchell who have been in the senior 22/23 so recently.
Konstanty was there a couple of weeks ago and not now

I want Wicks in also. Would like to see Francis given a go. Our defence hasn’t been at our best this year. Need Rampe back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back