VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

The camera angle made the replay fairly difficult to watch. Looks like the camera didn't have a lot of elevation from the ground and there was just the single camera to cover the whole game. Gemma Bastiani was one of the two commentators, which was a plus. The other one was local and familiar with the Dolphins team.

It appeared that it was a cool evening. Conditions very dewy and slippery. Players tumbling over left, right and centre. Good turn out from the locals, and they were raucous at times. (Maybe Punts can elaborate about this?)

We had the fewest AFL listed players we've had all season (12). We also were missing most of our talls. In terms of key position players we had a single ruck (Green), a single KPF (Buller) and two tall backs (Hamling and Snell) plus Tye Gander if you count him (c.191 cm).

Our pressure was pretty good around the contest but not as good when it came to locking the ball inside 50. It seemed to me that we were exposed structurally as the Dolphins were able to move the ball more easily than we would have liked, and more easily than they let us move the ball (their pressure was even better than ours). Our tackling frequently was also not as effective as we might have hoped, with the opponent getting the ball away to a teammate too often.

More than half of all the score for the whole game was scored in the first quarter (both sides scored approximately half their total final score) and we went goalless for the second and third quarters.

Green excelled in the ruck and seemed to relish the opportunity (as the stats cited already suggest). He used the ball well. He tackled. And he dropped back in defence both to rest and when needed on the goal line when the opposition were taking set shots. The biggest positive on the night.

Naturally Parker was tough and worked hard. Unfortunately he faces MRO scrutiny after bumping an opponent seeing them leave the field and not return.

Mitchell looked cleaner than most others. He ran hard too. One of our best.

Sheldrick was busy, and strong around the ball. Missed a set shot at goal in the second.

Hamling was quite assured and dealt well with the difficult conditions. Spent most of his time in defence but was thrown forward at the death.

Snell was also good. He defended fiercely but had some lapses. Don't know if he'll face any scrutiny after bumping an opponent hard and late in the last quarter.

Buller marked strongly at times and spent some time shoring up our defence (quite effectively). Had a pretty good game.

Konstanty made some appearances at stoppages. Wasted a couple of shots at goal (?) that missed everything/fell short. Did kick a couple of goals too, including a nice goal on a sharp angle in the forward pocket in the last quarter.

Kirk - was not among our best or worst. Did look a bit cleaner with his ball use than our VFL players.

Cleary - Seemed not to spend as much time on-ball/inside. Surprisingly appeared to spend some time on the wing. Also spent some time forward in the last quarter. Didn't look as good on the outside - didn't get a lot of ball, kicked a couple of balls out on the full. I wonder whether the coaches were keen to get a look at him in a different role? If so I wonder what they made of his performance.

Vickery - never stands out, partly because of his role as an accountable defender. He is composed and tends to use the ball well but was anonymous in this game.

Magor - disappointing. Didn't really do much that I noticed.

Ben Edwards had a good first half and then seemed to fade. Worked hard. He's been a great pick up.

Geddes also toiled honestly from the VFL listed players.

Moi Moi looked dangerous a couple of times early on. Faded later (as foretold by Bastiani).

Morrison kicked a couple of good goals in the last quarter.

Best: Green, Parker, Mitchell, Sheldrick, Hamling

That's my take.

From https://www.afl.com.au/news/1130367...ues-young-dog-cat-star-is-gun-swan-in-trouble:

Another Luke Parker masterclass wasn't enough to get Sydney over the line against Frankston, with the Swans going down by 15 points on Friday night.

The veteran onballer collected 26 disposals, nine tackles and nine clearances in another best afield showing, but could come under scrutiny for an off-the-ball ball collision late in the game.

Parker appeared to run past the ball and made contact with Frankston player Josh Smith, which resulted in serious facial injuries for the Dolphins player.

Out of favour midfielder Angus Sheldrick was equally as brilliant, collecting a game-high 28 touches, seven clearances and six tackles, while first-year ruckman William Green impressed with 35 hitouts, five clearances and six marks.

Young forward Jacob Konstanty kicked two goals to go with his 17 touches and Caleb Mitchell was prolific with 27 touches and six marks.

Academy product Indhi Kirk (16 disposals, six tackles), young defender Jaiden Magor (14, five marks) and Caiden Cleary (13, four tackles) were among the action.

A misfiring Jack Buller kicked three behinds from his 15 touches and five marks, while Cooper Vickery (12 disposals, four marks), Joel Hamling (10 disposals) and Patrick Snell (nine) were also solid contributors.

The camera angle made the replay fairly difficult to watch. Looks like the camera didn't have a lot of elevation from the ground and there was just the single camera to cover the whole game. Gemma Bastiani was one of the two commentators, which was a plus. The other one was local and familiar with the Dolphins team.

It appeared that it was a cool evening. Conditions very dewy and slippery. Players tumbling over left, right and centre. Good turn out from the locals, and they were raucous at times. (Maybe Punts can elaborate about this?)

We had the fewest AFL listed players we've had all season (12). We also were missing most of our talls. In terms of key position players we had a single ruck (Green), a single KPF (Buller) and two tall backs (Hamling and Snell) plus Tye Gander if you count him (c.191 cm).

Our pressure was pretty good around the contest but not as good when it came to locking the ball inside 50. It seemed to me that we were exposed structurally as the Dolphins were able to move the ball more easily than we would have liked, and more easily than they let us move the ball (their pressure was even better than ours). Our tackling frequently was also not as effective as we might have hoped, with the opponent getting the ball away to a teammate too often.

More than half of all the score for the whole game was scored in the first quarter (both sides scored approximately half their total final score) and we went goalless for the second and third quarters.

Green excelled in the ruck and seemed to relish the opportunity (as the stats cited already suggest). He used the ball well. He tackled. And he dropped back in defence both to rest and when needed on the goal line when the opposition were taking set shots. The biggest positive on the night.

Naturally Parker was tough and worked hard. Unfortunately he faces MRO scrutiny after bumping an opponent seeing them leave the field and not return.

Mitchell looked cleaner than most others. He ran hard too. One of our best.

Sheldrick was busy, and strong around the ball. Missed a set shot at goal in the second.

Hamling was quite assured and dealt well with the difficult conditions. Spent most of his time in defence but was thrown forward at the death.

Snell was also good. He defended fiercely but had some lapses. Don't know if he'll face any scrutiny after bumping an opponent hard and late in the last quarter.

Buller marked strongly at times and spent some time shoring up our defence (quite effectively). Had a pretty good game.

Konstanty made some appearances at stoppages. Wasted a couple of shots at goal (?) that missed everything/fell short. Did kick a couple of goals too, including a nice goal on a sharp angle in the forward pocket in the last quarter.

Kirk - was not among our best or worst. Did look a bit cleaner with his ball use than our VFL players.

Cleary - Seemed not to spend as much time on-ball/inside. Surprisingly appeared to spend some time on the wing. Also spent some time forward in the last quarter. Didn't look as good on the outside - didn't get a lot of ball, kicked a couple of balls out on the full. I wonder whether the coaches were keen to get a look at him in a different role? If so I wonder what they made of his performance.

Vickery - never stands out, partly because of his role as an accountable defender. He is composed and tends to use the ball well but was anonymous in this game.

Magor - disappointing. Didn't really do much that I noticed.

Ben Edwards had a good first half and then seemed to fade. Worked hard. He's been a great pick up.

Geddes also toiled honestly from the VFL listed players.

Moi Moi looked dangerous a couple of times early on. Faded later (as foretold by Bastiani).

Morrison kicked a couple of good goals in the last quarter.

Best: Green, Parker, Mitchell, Sheldrick, Hamling

That's my take.
Given your great write up is there possibly any similarities between Vickery and Cunningham. Most never notice Cunningham do much but thats because he is one of the most accountable lockdown small defenders in the league. Or am i just hoping for something out of Vickery when in fact he is gone in 6 months time?

Given your great write up is there possibly any similarities between Vickery and Cunningham. Most never notice Cunningham do much but thats because he is one of the most accountable lockdown small defenders in the league. Or am i just hoping for something out of Vickery when in fact he is gone in 6 months time?

Absolutely there's that possibility. I think that's exactly what we had in mind when we drafted him. I've been really bullish on Vickery. However I'm cooling on him slightly this season and I would like to see a little more from him.

It's really hard from where I sit to confidently evaluate those types of players whose impact is felt largely in the way that they limit their opponents. What I like about Vickery is his composure and his reliable ball use; he's also pretty hard and even reasonably quick. A lot of what will determine his future will be to do with his tenacity, resilience, competitiveness. Even though I try to watch the reserves closely I don't watch them closely enough to gauge that kind of stuff effectively (for one player let alone all of them).

I'm really interested in other's opinions. liz 's opinion is one that I value but I'm not sure how closely liz is watching the reserves currently - clearly you have been watching the games and posting, liz, so give us your two bob!

Ben Dixon was campaigning for 8 weeks. King saying 5, and Dermott crapping on about how Parker should be punished more because the injured player isn't getting paid as much as Parker.

Ben Dixon was campaigning for 8 weeks. King saying 5, and Dermott crapping on about how Parker should be punished more because the injured player isn't getting paid as much as Parker.
King shut him down..it was good. Didn't allow one of dermotts not clever rabbit holes

Didn't watch, but 17 disposals, 6 marks and 35 hitouts for Green sounds positive.

Need to watch the full replay. But I saw enough to see the lad has heaps of talent. Has been enjoying a relaxed education back, forward, a few spells in the ruck and Ltd minutes until all the injuries happened and was chucked in the deep end. Hope he continues to fill out (imagine the kids feed bill) and in 12 months is a good 6kg heavier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker from what I can see might be anywhere between 3-5 weeks. Not much.in the way of video evidence , might give him benefit of doubt in that case (hoping!)

He chose to bump instead of a shepherd

Looks like Luke had feet off the ground. Given the injuries to the Franky lad and the numbers of our fellas who have suffered concussion this year, LP should accept whatever penalty and not appeal.

He chose to bump instead of a shepherd
There are different kinds of bump. In this instance, Parker's bump was, I believe, an attempt to shepherd.

The contact to the Frankston player's head was, as I understand it, entirely from a head clash. The rules are clear that Parker is responsible for that given he initiated the contact. And the contact wasn't the result of a ball contest gone wrong (ala Peter Wright, Callum Brown).

I have no problem for him being held accountable and serving weeks, but there was an element of bad luck in the outcome. We're not talking about a situation here where a player jumped off the ground and launched into an opponent (ala Jimmy Webster, Kysiah Pickett).

There are different kinds of bump. In this instance, Parker's bump was, I believe, an attempt to shepherd.

The contact to the Frankston player's head was, as I understand it, entirely from a head clash. The rules are clear that Parker is responsible for that given he initiated the contact. And the contact wasn't the result of a ball contest gone wrong (ala Peter Wright, Callum Brown).

I have no problem for him being held accountable and serving weeks, but there was an element of bad luck in the outcome. We're not talking about a situation here where a player jumped off the ground and launched into an opponent (ala Jimmy Webster, Kysiah Pickett).
You are imputing motive.

The vision to my admittedly struggling eyes shows one Parker foot off the ground.

You are imputing motive.

The vision to my admittedly struggling eyes shows one Parker foot off the ground.
We all impute motives all the time from what we observe, often without realising we are doing so.

If you believe a different motive, you too are imputing that.

But I am comfortable my imputation fits better with the vision of what was happening at the time, the behaviour of 99.9% of today’s AFL players in general, and Parker’s track record, in particular, over nearly 300 games, of playing tough but fair.

Furthermore, the panel on First Crack last night - who no doubt have studied the vision more closely than you or I - stated that the injuries arose from a head clash. That is consistent with my assessment that Parker’s body (ie torso) contact was to the body (torso) of the opponent. He didn’t clatter his shoulder into the opponent’s head.

What is wrong with the Reserves? We lose to a stand alone team like Frankston? Ok they seem to be going in. But we can't effing score. Seems to have been a problem all year. Is this coach not following the same game plan as the AFL side? I know we have a few injuries but most of the squad are still listed players.

Are our VFL Players not up to the level? Are our listed players not up to it? To maintain a strong AFL side the depth must be incredibly strong. I worry that if we do get injuries we will end up with players not up to the level of who are not sure of the AFL game plan. It is quite disheartening for a veteran Ressies watcher to see the downfall of the Ressies team. I can't always watch the games these days and definitely can't see games in person as I live OS now.

Could someone tell me what they think is the problem? The games I have seen I have noticed the amount of turnovers & the players seem to kick long to the forward line on most occasions. The standard seems quite low. I have watched a few SANFL games this season & the standard seems higher than the VFL. I can't think why Port or Adelaide want to join the VFL. They don't even win the SANFL. Maybe they want easier games for their players? Half the teams in the VFL will certainly give you that.

But as to our team, can anyone explain why we are struggling at this level

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is this coach not following the same game plan as the AFL side?

Almost certainly not. Our AFL side's game plan is highly reliant on having Warner, Heeney, Gulden, Rampe, Blakey, McCartin, Papley, Grundy etc etc

I don't think it should come as a surprise that our VFL team doesn't have the cohesion, fitness, speed, kicking skills or footy nous to replicate what the AFL side does.

What is wrong with the Reserves? We lose to a stand alone team like Frankston? Ok they seem to be going in. But we can't effing score. Seems to have been a problem all year. Is this coach not following the same game plan as the AFL side? I know we have a few injuries but most of the squad are still listed players.

Are our VFL Players not up to the level? Are our listed players not up to it? To maintain a strong AFL side the depth must be incredibly strong. I worry that if we do get injuries we will end up with players not up to the level of who are not sure of the AFL game plan. It is quite disheartening for a veteran Ressies watcher to see the downfall of the Ressies team. I can't always watch the games these days and definitely can't see games in person as I live OS now.

Could someone tell me what they think is the problem? The games I have seen I have noticed the amount of turnovers & the players seem to kick long to the forward line on most occasions. The standard seems quite low. I have watched a few SANFL games this season & the standard seems higher than the VFL. I can't think why Port or Adelaide want to join the VFL. They don't even win the SANFL. Maybe they want easier games for their players? Half the teams in the VFL will certainly give you that.

Yeah tbh I share your frustrations in regards to our reserves team.

I have said it for a few years now but there isn't a reserves superstar in our side. Where's the Tom Mitchell or Jordan Dawson or James Rowbottom in this team? The guy who is just too irrepressibly good for the lower level, who can turn a game with their individual efforts? I think the closest we have right now is Sheldrick, who has been probably the best-performing player in our VFL side over the last few seasons. But as good as he's been, he hasn't been so good that I am just itching to see him promoted to the senior level.

A big-name veteran like Parker plays a month in the reserves and is good without really blowing anyone away. Those fringe youngsters like Campbell, Warner, Mitchell get dropped back to VFL level after senior stints yet never really look like those senior stints have given them things to work on to elevate their games (which is not to say they aren't good by any means.)

Some of our current promising youngsters - Cleary, Kirk, Snell, Edwards - are understandably not quite there yet.

The result is a team that generally just lacks a spark. They can work well as a team but if everyone in that team is just decent-to-good at best, then it will always leave us at risk of being exposed by a team that can match that firepower. A superstar performance can make more of an impact in the lower level than in the AFL because the disparity in ability is more glaring, and IMO we don't see enough of those superstar performances in this side.

That's just my take.

I think people need to realise that yes it is fun to win at reserves level and to potentially win the comp but in the end of the day the best way to stay competitive constantly at AFL level is to focus on individual development in the 2s and not team development. Getting lots of games into the youngsters that are more than likely raw talents and not having too many experienced guys playing in the twos is much better.

Yeah tbh I share your frustrations in regards to our reserves team.

I have said it for a few years now but there isn't a reserves superstar in our side. Where's the Tom Mitchell or Jordan Dawson or James Rowbottom in this team? The guy who is just too irrepressibly good for the lower level, who can turn a game with their individual efforts? I think the closest we have right now is Sheldrick, who has been probably the best-performing player in our VFL side over the last few seasons. But as good as he's been, he hasn't been so good that I am just itching to see him promoted to the senior level.

A big-name veteran like Parker plays a month in the reserves and is good without really blowing anyone away. Those fringe youngsters like Campbell, Warner, Mitchell get dropped back to VFL level after senior stints yet never really look like those senior stints have given them things to work on to elevate their games (which is not to say they aren't good by any means.)

Some of our current promising youngsters - Cleary, Kirk, Snell, Edwards - are understandably not quite there yet.

The result is a team that generally just lacks a spark. They can work well as a team but if everyone in that team is just decent-to-good at best, then it will always leave us at risk of being exposed by a team that can match that firepower. A superstar performance can make more of an impact in the lower level than in the AFL because the disparity in ability is more glaring, and IMO we don't see enough of those superstar performances in this side.

That's just my take.
My view - teams like Frankston has solid VFL-quality players all over the park.

We have 10 or so AFL listed players, but the drop-off to our non-AFL listed players is stark. I'm not sure any of our VFL listed guys get a game at Frankston.

And its pretty hard to shine in a team that is patchy across the park.

I look at Gus Sheldrick for example. He gets lots of the hard ball in the VFL, but rarely has someone doing the explosive running off him to provide the outlet handball from congestion. So instead, he just kicks it forward. When he shone in the AFL last year, he had the Chads and Rowys around him - which really improved his personal output & made him look a better player in the AFL than the VFL.

For the same reason, Parker hasn't stood out in the VFL, apart from on the stats sheet.

My view - teams like Frankston has solid VFL-quality players all over the park.

We have 10 or so AFL listed players, but the drop-off to our non-AFL listed players is stark. I'm not sure any of our VFL listed guys get a game at Frankston.

And its pretty hard to shine in a team that is patchy across the park.

I look at Gus Sheldrick for example. He gets lots of the hard ball in the VFL, but rarely has someone doing the explosive running off him to provide the outlet handball from congestion. So instead, he just kicks it forward. When he shone in the AFL last year, he had the Chads and Rowys around him - which really improved his personal output & made him look a better player in the AFL than the VFL.

For the same reason, Parker hasn't stood out in the VFL, apart from on the stats sheet.
I agree it's much harder for our better players to play to their best level when they're surrounded by less talented team mates. It's why you have to look at individual moments to get an idea of what our developing players can do, and assess whether that is transferable to AFL level with more pressure, less time and bigger, stronger, fitter opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back