VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

I just finished watching last week's VFL game. I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.

- Of all the players in our VFL side, I think Caiden Cleary is the one who I'm most excited about. His hands to find the free Swan are so impressive and makes it really easy to see how he could fit into our midfield in the future. He just makes good decisions.

- I'm really pleased with Indhi Kirk's progression. I was a little skeptical about us drafting him last year, even if it was just as a Cat B rookie, as he seemed to be not much more than a decent top-up player. I won't speculate as to why, but for whatever reason, he is really looking the part of a quality, AFL-listed player in his games so far this year. He's a smooth mover and looks assured with the ball, and has impressed me more than some of the guys who were already on the list before him, like Magor, Vickery and Konstanty.

- Just on Konstanty, this might sound harsh, but I'm still waiting to see if he has the required talent. This is not to say he's not talented - he's had some great moments in games so far - but is he talented enough? Does he have the weapons to be an AFL-standard player and a good one at that? There just still seems to be a few too many mis-kicks and poor reading of the ball, etc., things that should be a gun small forward's bread and butter.

- And just on Magor, I did still like his game. He was dump-kicking out of defence a lot, which was frustrating to start with but almost became more important the more he did them. The sheer number of times he cleared it alleviated a lot of pressure on our defence and then he steadied and showed more composure as the game went on.

- As far as ability, I'm yet to really see much from Will Green, mainly because he looks like a baby giraffe trying to stand for the first time. But his competitiveness and desire to give second efforts is evident. I think there's something to work with there once he puts some meat on.

- Other than Cleary, the two who excite me most are Snell & Edwards, as individuals yeah, but especially as a pair. It's just good to have two big, young developing key backs playing together. Both look good in 1v1s and are good readers of the play. Although I think Edwards got exposed a number of times playing on the craftier Duursma in this game, but I think it wasn't a good match-up in general.

- I liked Campbell's game and agree with most that he was probably our best, but there was a clear moment that I think really emphasised why he's not yet taking the forward strides we'd hope to see. He was running with the ball along the outer side and had Cleary all alone in the middle, about 45m out. Instead of trying to get it to Cleary, he went the short kick to a player on the boundary line. Campbell had to attempt to bite off that kick inboard. It was the risky option, but if anyone could do it, it would be him. But it never will be him doing those kicks if he doesn't have the confidence to try them. I think he needs to play with more of that 'won't die wondering' mentality that a lot of the players in our senior side do. It's probably the main thing holding him back at the moment, as I certainly don't think it's ability.

- Finally just wanted to give a shout out to Gemma Bastiani, who I'm a massive fan of. Her balance of no-nonsense and banter (as well as ability to bring AFLW into conversations in a way that feels natural and not forced) is just right. But I particularly like her calls on individual players. Her observations of how Moi Moi fades as games go on, how Ladhams sometimes has days where he's 'on' and then others where he isn't on at all, how Geddes isn't prolific but has real moments of impact, etc. There's no labels, or "he's a star" rhetoric or hyperbole. Just good, common sense commentary from someone with a real knowledge and understanding and feel for the game.

Sorry for the rant.
Great run down. Coaches have to give Campbell confidence and encourage him to use his skills. That kick to the pocket was a SAFE kick instead of best option, and then it's about execution.

Looks like a batsmen trying not to get out instead of hitting a full toss for a boundary.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I just finished watching last week's VFL game. I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.

- Of all the players in our VFL side, I think Caiden Cleary is the one who I'm most excited about. His hands to find the free Swan are so impressive and makes it really easy to see how he could fit into our midfield in the future. He just makes good decisions.

- I'm really pleased with Indhi Kirk's progression. I was a little skeptical about us drafting him last year, even if it was just as a Cat B rookie, as he seemed to be not much more than a decent top-up player. I won't speculate as to why, but for whatever reason, he is really looking the part of a quality, AFL-listed player in his games so far this year. He's a smooth mover and looks assured with the ball, and has impressed me more than some of the guys who were already on the list before him, like Magor, Vickery and Konstanty.

- Just on Konstanty, this might sound harsh, but I'm still waiting to see if he has the required talent. This is not to say he's not talented - he's had some great moments in games so far - but is he talented enough? Does he have the weapons to be an AFL-standard player and a good one at that? There just still seems to be a few too many mis-kicks and poor reading of the ball, etc., things that should be a gun small forward's bread and butter.

- And just on Magor, I did still like his game. He was dump-kicking out of defence a lot, which was frustrating to start with but almost became more important the more he did them. The sheer number of times he cleared it alleviated a lot of pressure on our defence and then he steadied and showed more composure as the game went on.

- As far as ability, I'm yet to really see much from Will Green, mainly because he looks like a baby giraffe trying to stand for the first time. But his competitiveness and desire to give second efforts is evident. I think there's something to work with there once he puts some meat on.

- Other than Cleary, the two who excite me most are Snell & Edwards, as individuals yeah, but especially as a pair. It's just good to have two big, young developing key backs playing together. Both look good in 1v1s and are good readers of the play. Although I think Edwards got exposed a number of times playing on the craftier Duursma in this game, but I think it wasn't a good match-up in general.

- I liked Campbell's game and agree with most that he was probably our best, but there was a clear moment that I think really emphasised why he's not yet taking the forward strides we'd hope to see. He was running with the ball along the outer side and had Cleary all alone in the middle, about 45m out. Instead of trying to get it to Cleary, he went the short kick to a player on the boundary line. Campbell had to attempt to bite off that kick inboard. It was the risky option, but if anyone could do it, it would be him. But it never will be him doing those kicks if he doesn't have the confidence to try them. I think he needs to play with more of that 'won't die wondering' mentality that a lot of the players in our senior side do. It's probably the main thing holding him back at the moment, as I certainly don't think it's ability.

- Finally just wanted to give a shout out to Gemma Bastiani, who I'm a massive fan of. Her balance of no-nonsense and banter (as well as ability to bring AFLW into conversations in a way that feels natural and not forced) is just right. But I particularly like her calls on individual players. Her observations of how Moi Moi fades as games go on, how Ladhams sometimes has days where he's 'on' and then others where he isn't on at all, how Geddes isn't prolific but has real moments of impact, etc. There's no labels, or "he's a star" rhetoric or hyperbole. Just good, common sense commentary from someone with a real knowledge and understanding and feel for the game.

Sorry for the rant.
No need to be sorry. Top post. Gemma is a gun.

Well, the injuries have come at a bad time. This is an 8 point game that is important for our finals prospects. Suddenly the surfeit of talls we had at the beginning of the season is looking a lot less surfeit-y.

Lugsdin appears to need a rest, much like Roberts.

We're going to learn something about Will Green as he's going to be forced to ruck with Ladhams and McAndrew both out. It will be a big test, although the oppo ruck (Angus Grant) seems a bit anonymous, which helps. Grant is about 3 years older than Greeny, but Greeny is a first round selection and the AA starting ruck at U18 level. I imagine Buller will offer some ruck relief.

Tye Gander has come in to bolster our skinny tall back stocks. I guess with Francis playing seniors, and Arnold and Edwards injured, Hamling is going to play the majority of the game down back. Fortunately Buller returns so we will still have one tall forward.

Our midfield regains Sheldrick and Mitchell but is still missing Corey and we didn't get Roberts back in exchange for losing Campbell.

It's a great game to have Parker in and it will be good to see how he goes spending time forward.

Who are the emergencies for seniors that will be held back - are we going to lose any more players? I feel like we are. Maybe Mitchell? Or maybe they will just keep Roberts to use as the emergency? I just checked afl.com.au but it doesn't have the emergencies. But then I just checked the club website and it lists Parker, Roberts and Hamling. Hopefully they just keep Matty Roberts as the emergency, don't want to lose Parker for this key clash and he needs game time not to be sitting on the pine watching the seniors.

Last edited:
I think you have to bear in mind that there are team instructions in place. Those high risk kicks expose the team the other way if they don't come off because they usually open up the corridor. I don't know what instructions the players have in different situations (and they will be different from player to player) but it's possible that by not taking that kick on he was abiding by instructions, not being conservative.

I think you have to bear in mind that there are team instructions in place. Those high risk kicks expose the team the other way if they don't come off because they usually open up the corridor. I don't know what instructions the players have in different situations (and they will be different from player to player) but it's possible that by not taking that kick on he was abiding by instructions, not being conservative.
Yeah I'm sure there are differing instructions between what Truslove wants the players to do so his VFL team can get the win vs what Horse wants the players to do to develop them for his AFL side. I tend to look at the AFL-listed players in our reserves side more through Horse's lense - ie. why are they still in the reserves and how do they get themselves promoted to the seniors.

In that sense, watching the play in question it was hard not to think, "What would Gulden do?" or "What would Blakey do?" Our senior side has a game plan built on high-risk, high-reward plays, and we've seen a number of our senior players bite off very aggressive kicks. It doesn't always work but both players and coach have acknowledged that they're prepared to wear the mistakes for the rewards.

I think that's the kind of approach Campbell is going to have to take if he wants to make inroads in our senior side. Because his biggest asset is his kicking skills and he has to be prepared to use it. Without it, what's the defining asset or characteristic of his game that will make him unexpendable to Horse?

Yeah I'm sure there are differing instructions between what Truslove wants the players to do so his VFL team can get the win vs what Horse wants the players to do to develop them for his AFL side. I tend to look at the AFL-listed players in our reserves side more through Horse's lense - ie. why are they still in the reserves and how do they get themselves promoted to the seniors.

In that sense, watching the play in question it was hard not to think, "What would Gulden do?" or "What would Blakey do?" Our senior side has a game plan built on high-risk, high-reward plays, and we've seen a number of our senior players bite off very aggressive kicks. It doesn't always work but both players and coach have acknowledged that they're prepared to wear the mistakes for the rewards.

I think that's the kind of approach Campbell is going to have to take if he wants to make inroads in our senior side. Because his biggest asset is his kicking skills and he has to be prepared to use it. Without it, what's the defining asset or characteristic of his game that will make him unexpendable to Horse?
Even within the AFL team different players are given different licences to attempt the risky shots, and their freedom to do so will also be influenced by game state.

At VFL level the team won’t have the same defensive mechanisms in place because the personnel are not (uniformly) of the same quality, size and experience. I realise winning games isn’t the only objective in the VFL team, but they are still trying to teach the players to gel as a unit, and they would certainly prefer to win. The one thing that will guarantee a player like Campbell not earning promotion is him not following team structures.

Having both games on at the same time in different cities is a pain Surely the AFLcan do better
I for one am looking forward to watching 5ish minutes at the start of each quarter.

Will have a laptop open with the ressies game on, for breaks in seniors play too.

I for one am looking forward to watching 5ish minutes at the start of each quarter.

Will have a laptop open with the ressies game on, for breaks in seniors play too.
Doing something similar!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 point in the 2nd Q
1 point in the 3rd Q

It was a bit excruciating.

However - a very encouraging effort from Will Green (17 disposals playing in the ruck!) and Gus Sheldrick had 28, with a pile of clearances.

Cleary was quieter this week.

Parker seems destined to cop a holiday.

Overall, not a great match - but a few nice individual performances.

Haven't seen the game but Will Green looks to have passed his first real test as the main ruck.

17 Disposals, 6 Marks, 3 tackles, 35 hitouts and 5 clearances for 105 ranking points.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't seen the big Mac post numbers anywhere near that level in the 2 years he's been with us. I think if Green hasn't overtaken him, it won't be long.

Haven't seen the game but Will Green looks to have passed his first real test as the main ruck.

17 Disposals, 6 Marks, 3 tackles, 35 hitouts and 5 clearances for 105 ranking points.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't seen the big Mac post numbers anywhere near that level in the 2 years he's been with us. I think if Green hasn't overtaken him, it won't be long.
This is extremely good news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back