2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

The McGrath difference this year is he has eliminated the panicked hack kick and now takes the ball and runs with it. Once in space he is a very good kick. Who knew???

He started off last year similarly then got injured and came back to his hack kicking ways. That being said I think we played him as our main rebounding defender last whereas now that’s Martin’s gig and McGrath can be more of a 2 way player.

Shane Edwards from Richmond made it somehow
That could be the best example then.

Finishing on top of the ladder helps for some of these "less picked" roles. Josh Daicos last year would be another example, as a classic wingman. He had a great year but if Collingwood missed finals and his output was identical, I doubt he would've got the nod. It's just how it works.

Goals and assists combined R7:

1. Jesse Hogan 28 (22/6)
2. Charlie Curnow 26 (23/3)
3. Jeremy Cameron 25 (19/6)
4. Jake Waterman 24 (21/3)
5. Harry McKay 22 (18/4)/Oliver Henry (15/7)
7. Shai Bolton 21 (15/6)/Toby Greene (9/12)
9. Ben King 20 (19/1)/Bayley Fritsch (18/2)

For Geelong probably Stewart, Miers, Cameron and possibly Holmes, although Holmes is now in the conversation with a plethora of HBFs. Miers was talked up last year by a lot of commentators so his name is out there but he has stepped up his all round game this year and should be in the squad at this time.

Miers being talked about last year but not making it probably helps his cause. He's also improved his output from last year.

The one that helps most for something like AA is his goal tally. He kicked 7 goals last year and you're never making the AA team as a forward with 7 goals. But he's already got 7 in 7 games this year. If he keeps his current output and can kick ~25 goals, whilst also maintaining the possessions and goal assists, he's a chance. As a biased geelong supporter I'd say him and Cameron and Stewart are reasonable chances. But wouldn't be surpised if he's overlooked for someone like Rozee, Buttes or Petracca at HFF

My first crack:

B McKay - Andrews - Stewart
Houston - Taylor - Vlaustin
Rozee - Petracca - Gulden
Bolton - Hogan - Heeney
Greene - Curnow - Cameron
Gawn - Merrett - Bontempelli
J Kelly - Green - Yeo - Daicos

Sicily the unluckiest in defence, Butters, Warner and Rowell in the middle and then McKay and Waterman forward (had to choose between those two and Cameron).
Update:

Vlaustin - B McKay - Stewart
Houston - Andrews - Whitfield
Bolton - Hogan - Bontempelli
Cameron - Curnow - Greene
Gawn - Merrett - Heeney

Update:

Gawn - Merrett - Heeney
I don’t see Toby in the team as of yet …. He’ll make his run as the season progresses

I don’t see Toby in the team as of yet …. He’ll make his run as the season progresses
I see him and Bolton as the two best small forwards so far. Not much competition though haha

I see him and Bolton as the two best small forwards so far. Not much competition though haha
Stengle's stats are brought down by being invisible in round 1, but has been top notch since then.

3.3 combined goals/assists and 15.3 disposals over the last 6 weeks and mostly in our best players each game.

But I would have Greene slightly ahead of him.

Bolton has had a few outrageously good games and a few poor ones. So it depends how you rate consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stengle's stats are brought down by being invisible in round 1, but has been top notch since then.

3.3 combined goals/assists and 15.3 disposals over the last 6 weeks and mostly in our best players each game.

But I would have Greene slightly ahead of him.

Bolton has had a few outrageously good games and a few poor ones. So it depends how you rate consistency.
Good call Stengle has kicked 12 goals, AVG 1.7 a game with 6.6 score involvements.

Similar to Stengle could throw Dylan Moore into the discussion as well, started slow due to interrupted preseason with glandular fever but has built week on week, had a good last month. Probably the only hawk in form tbh, but we look insipid so I doubt he has any chance over a season playing as a fwd if the ball is camped up the other end.

Just for comparison his stats, 12 goals, AVG 1.7 with 6.7 score involvements.

Update:

Gawn - Merrett - Heeney
So how much higher than 7th in AFLCA must Miers get before you award the position in the team he richly deserves?

Last edited:
Coaches votes.
Oh. Fair enough. I don't really pay attention to that until the byes tbh. For forwards I usually base it on the goals and assists combined as that's usually the most accurate guide.

I wouldn’t read to much in to it.
Serong clear 5th and has dominated 6 of 7 games in the midfield can’t get on the pine.
As I said, generally speaking I wait until the byes for the coaches votes as far as relevancy. I literally only know that Heeney is going ridiculously well in it.

What freo games have you seen this year?
The last two have been it honestly (and Saturday was off and on, we had a beer pong tournament at my footy club haha). I know he's playing well but there are a lot that have also been playing well that I have seen.

Zach Guthrie a sneaky chance to get in at half back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back