Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry looks pretty good. Has some real zip. Looks like he really knows his role and is good at it. With the possibility we look at a medium small forward with our first pick lm keeping an eye on players like Berry and kako.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Kako is tied to Essendon I believe

The other one that caught my eye was Travaglia. Hasn't been as consistent as others this year but he showed what he's capable of in full flight and I thought he was bloody awesome.

Projects as a bit of a Jack Crisp, Lizard Blakey or even Will Day type. Think Cowan, Wilson, Travaglia, Boyd would be our HBF's sorted for the next generation. Or best case a few of them end up pushing into the guts to give us a bit more speed and class.

He looks very impressive. Looks a certain AFL player from his performance vs SA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think both boys will end up Blues regardless of the changes.

It may impact our ability to get other draft prospects unfortunately.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think both boys will end up Blues regardless of the changes.

It may impact our ability to get other draft prospects unfortunately.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
l believe common sense will prevail and any changes to the father/son draft impact will not occur until 2025.
l don't see major changes in this area more likely to relate to academy selections as the draft is being more impacted by this only need to analyse last year's draft.

I could imagine a scenario that if rules were changed this year, some clubs would seriously consider a legal challenge...
Imagine a state government setting up speed cameras on a 60kmh road, taking pictures of everyone going over 40kmh, and then one year stating speed limit was now 40kmh backdated 12 months, and then everyone from past 12 months travelling over 40kmh was fined.
LK sounds more like a politician than a custodian of the game...

I could imagine a scenario that if rules were changed this year, some clubs would seriously consider a legal challenge...
Imagine a state government setting up speed cameras on a 60kmh road, taking pictures of everyone going over 40kmh, and then one year stating speed limit was now 40kmh backdated 12 months, and then everyone from past 12 months travelling over 40kmh was fined.
LK sounds more like a politician than a custodian of the game...

We will be ready if needed:-

picture-6762-1668647752.jpg

Probably will need to trade our 2025 1st during trade time into the 2024 mix. Not ideal as I’d prefer we traded it into 2026 for extra backup for 1CW but oh well.

We 100% will take both Campo boys this year and maybe we will look to trade someone fringe 23 to bring in a 2nd also.

Probably will need to trade our 2025 1st during trade time into the 2024 mix. Not ideal as I’d prefer we traded it into 2026 for extra backup for 1CW but oh well.

We 100% will take both Campo boys this year and maybe we will look to trade someone fringe 23 to bring in a 2nd also.
Lets hope they keep the deficit option for when 1CW comes around. We may need it.

A am somewhat glad this draft is largely decided for us. Only one draftee on top of the Campos (at best) need to be found, either ahead of Ben and Lucas or a late pick.

Will probably need to identify a rookie or two, so keep an eye on the “fringe” diamonds in the rough.

I am finding it an exceptionally difficult one to read. While there are 5-10 highly rated midfield types and some emerging talls, it appears very even and may have some traps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A am somewhat glad this draft is largely decided for us. Only one draftee on top of the Campos (at best) need to be found, either ahead of Ben and Lucas or a late pick.

Will probably need to identify a rookie or two, so keep an eye on the “fringe” diamonds in the rough.

I am finding it an exceptionally difficult one to read. While there are 5-10 highly rated midfield types and some emerging talls, it appears very even and may have some traps.

You should be a politician Coona Blues

So, basically you’re saying there are 5-10 that should make the grade and then, who knows, as they are ordinary…

Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard this, with the WA boys looking like the worst crop ever…

You should be a politician Coona Blues

So, basically you’re saying there are 5-10 that should make the grade and then, who knows, as they are ordinary…

Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard this, with the WA boys looking like the worst crop ever…
Nah, not exactly. See some excellent “role players” only see a couple of bankers in the open pool among the highly rated mids. Couple with some questions for mine. Couple of guns spoken for through academy or father /sons.

There are accumulators and big bodies, athletic types and a couple with a bit of extra skill. The talls are going to have a couple of gems among them, but are still “sorting themselves out”. Most are immature, couple of early developed bulls and an overager or two getting attention spasmodically. A couple of underage talls more than holding their own which places questions on their opponents.

There are a couple with glimpses of x-factor seen as late first or second rounders who are going to end up being the stars. I will be amazed if we don’t look back in five years and have the order very different to what we will see in the main draft night.

That is more what I am saying, bloody hard one to get a genuine read on. Plenty for the bandwaggoners, but will be surprised if clubs get a lot right on the night..

Nah, not exactly. See some excellent “role players” only see a couple of bankers in the open pool among the highly rated mids. Couple with some questions for mine. Couple of guns spoken for through academy or father /sons.

There are accumulators and big bodies, athletic types and a couple with a bit of extra skill. The talls are going to have a couple of gems among them, but are still “sorting themselves out”. Most are immature, couple of early developed bulls and an overager or two getting attention spasmodically. A couple of underage talls more than holding their own which places questions on their opponents.

There are a couple with glimpses of x-factor seen as late first or second rounders who are going to end up being the stars. I will be amazed if we don’t look back in five years and have the order very different to what we will see in the main draft night.

That is more what I am saying, bloody hard one to get a genuine read on. Plenty for the bandwaggoners, but will be surprised if clubs get a lot right on the night..

Rate your opinion highly, CB.
Admittedly my exposure slants toward the VC cohort so others will have a better perspective holistically but my viewpoint is there's depth of your meat & potatoes types but potentially not as many sure thing, x-factor types which could see some quality sliding to later picks with some clubs potentially looking to more sure thing prospects at the expense of some boom/bust prospects.
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

After speaking to a couple of spotters here in Sydney, they both said, 10-15 pick themselves with personal preferences thrown in and then most will recruit needs based, no surprises there! But, the interesting part of the chat was the criteria, kicking (field) is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most important attribute! I did ask why and the answer, we just can’t teach a poor kicker to be better and elite kickers are what the game needs in the next 5 years…

If only Ben was a better kick, was one comment!

After speaking to a couple of spotters here in Sydney, they both said, 10-15 pick themselves with personal preferences thrown in and then most will recruit needs based, no surprises there! But, the interesting part of the chat was the criteria, kicking (field) is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most important attribute! I did ask why and the answer, we just can’t teach a poor kicker to be better and elite kickers are what the game needs in the next 5 years…

If only Ben was a better kick, was one comment!
Ben is not a “pretty” kick, but more effective than he is given credit for. Good with his hands. Think he is either going to be an excellent extractor or a good defensive mid/half back type. He is not going to be a “sexy pick”, but I reckon he is a moral to play a couple of hundred games as a staple role player at worst. His movement in traffic is under rated by many, could be one of those we ask HTF did he get through there?

Thinking injury will play a big part in the draft order. 2023 O’Sullivan and Draper, I would have backed to be top 2 and both are racing the clock to find their peaks. Smith is the banker among the current headliners for mine. Sun’s Lombard should be top 3 (5 at worst). Smilie will be a player, just not sure he is a number one as many are predicting, think will be slower burn, not an instant impact type. Ashcroft will clearly be a player, but don’t think he is as good as his brother. WA bull Urquhart is as untidy as **** so no guarantee next level. Think Bo Allan will silence some Viccentric detractors. Murphy Reid has plenty of class and will find a role at the next level. SA Hargrave has a more complete skill set than most and I see him excelling in a club environment. Lalor could be a big riser, not enamoured with Moraes at this stage. Sam Marshall from Lions Academy will be a better player than F/S Ashcroft for mine.

There are a number of utility and hybrid types catching the eye with “cameos” or weight of numbers types like Travaglia and Oliver who appear capable of stepping up. Trainor will likely be the first tall drafted, rightly so, the rest have been less than consistent to date and hard to read.

The kicking requirement drags a large portion of this draft class down for mine. The skills don’t look up to recent years.

Last edited:
In the same boat as Coona Blues .Not sure I could really tell you anything past the top 5-10 and even then I'm not sure if the top 5-10 will even end up the best players in this crop. Some players show glimpses of superstar potential but only do it a few times per game, others are just hard workers and accumulators. Some players expected to go from the 15-25 mark look more exciting than some of the top 10 but are too inconsistent...

It's a bizarre draft, especially in contrast to last years which was practically the opposite. Still think there will be a lot of good players come from it though, just not sure many will be early picks.

Ben is not a “pretty” kick, but more effective than he is given credit for. Good with his hands. Think he is either going to be an excellent extractor or a good defensive mid/half back type. He is not going to be a “sexy pick”, but I reckon he is a moral to play a couple of hundred games as a staple role player at worst. His movement in traffic is under rated by many, could be one of those we ask HTF did he get through there?

Thinking injury will play a big part in the draft order. 2023 O’Sullivan and Draper, I would have backed to be top 2 and both are racing the clock to find their peaks. Smith is the banker among the current headliners for mine. Sun’s Lombard should be top 3 (5 at worst). Smilie will be a player, just not sure he is a number one as many are predicting, think will be slower burn, not an instant impact type. Ashcroft will clearly be a player, but don’t think he is as good as his brother. WA bull Urquhart is as untidy as **** so no guarantee next level. Think Bo Allan will silence some Viccentric detractors. Murphy Reid has plenty of class and will find a role at the next level. SA Hargrove has a more complete skill set than most and I see him excelling in a club environment. Lalor could be a big riser, not enamoured with Moraes at this stage. Sam Marshall from Lions Academy will be a better player than F/S Ashcroft for mine.

There are a number of utility and hybrid types catching the eye with “cameos” or weight of numbers types like Travaglia and Oliver who appear capable of stepping up. Trainor will likely be the first tall drafted, rightly so, the rest have been less than consistent to date and hard to read.

The kicking requirement drags a large portion of this draft class down for mine. The skills don’t look up to recent years.

The same spotters mentioned a Smith that we should be all over as it’s exactly what we need but they think the pies will get him…

The same spotters mentioned a Smith that we should be all over as it’s exactly what we need but they think the pies will get him…
If the Pies think its a good idea to burn two first rounders on Smith coming off an ACL with the amount of veterans they've got about to retire then I say good luck to them.

Thinking injury will play a big part in the draft order. 2023 O’Sullivan and Draper, I would have backed to be top 2 and both are racing the clock to find their peaks. Smith is the banker among the current headliners for mine. Sun’s Lombard should be top 3 (5 at worst). Smilie will be a player, just not sure he is a number one as many are predicting, think will be slower burn, not an instant impact type. Ashcroft will clearly be a player, but don’t think he is as good as his brother. WA bull Urquhart is as untidy as **** so no guarantee next level. Think Bo Allan will silence some Viccentric detractors. Murphy Reid has plenty of class and will find a role at the next level. SA Hargrave has a more complete skill set than most and I see him excelling in a club environment. Lalor could be a big riser, not enamoured with Moraes at this stage. Sam Marshall from Lions Academy will be a better player than F/S Ashcroft for mine.

What are your thoughts on the injured Taj Hotton Coona?
Where is he likely to be picked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back