Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Trainor
Kako/Berry

+ Make some moves to get a late 1st round KPF prospect

If there's a Freijah type (tall wing, running machine) with a late pick then get him, too.
I like Harvey Langford too but he might not last till the end of Round 1.

Trainor impresses me more off the field than anything! just seema like a ripping kid, future leader that bleeds blue ane white

Trainor
Kako/Berry

+ Make some moves to get a late 1st round KPF prospect

If there's a Freijah type (tall wing, running machine) with a late pick then get him, too.

The dandy boys Langford and Hynes kind of fit the bill with height and scoreboard impact but they don’t have the running capacity of Friejah.

The other two that potential fit the bill are GWV rebels tall half back/winger Jack Ough and Geelong overager Liam Kershaw. Kershaw was pretty unlucky not to be taken in the MSD.

There was a lot to get excited about with this performance by the 197cm key forward Charlie Nicholls. He moved super well, presenting all over the ground and drawing the footy. He competed well in the air, always at least halving the contest and providing his smaller forwards with ground level opportunities. He dropped some marks that he would expect to clunk, but his hands became increasingly sticky as the game progressed and he gained in confidence. The one area for concern would have to be his set shot kicking which has been wayward through the Champs series so far.

Smillie the big 194cm mid is the one

Don’t want another small mid that early

FOs has been injured most this year and hasn’t shown enough as a result anyway

The real question is will we even end up with pick 1

Feel sorry for whoever we take with our first pick who is not Smillie.

They will automatically be Nostrils new whipping boy.

There was a lot to get excited about with this performance by the 197cm key forward Charlie Nicholls. He moved super well, presenting all over the ground and drawing the footy. He competed well in the air, always at least halving the contest and providing his smaller forwards with ground level opportunities. He dropped some marks that he would expect to clunk, but his hands became increasingly sticky as the game progressed and he gained in confidence. The one area for concern would have to be his set shot kicking which has been wayward through the Champs series so far.

The marking at 4.17 & 4.30 really highlights the scope for his contested marking. Once he fills out, he'll be hard to stop when he has a run and jump at the footy.

Field kicking and set shot routine really need work though! It's not beyond improvement though, technically his kicking is okay.

Where’s this guy projected to go

Where’s this guy projected to go
Its a hard one to answer at this stage with the national championships still going as well as the rest of the year, because one breakout game is sometimes all it takes for a player, but at this stage early 4th round or rookie and as I said this could change and what order recruiters will have them before the draft can also change.

Zak seems to be a footballer in search of a position, or perhaps just an old school utility that can play very well no matter where he is on the ground. He started this game in the floating/intercepting defensive role that we've seen him playing the last month or so at Talent League level, but with the Knights getting overrun in through the midfield he was enlisted to help onball in the third quarter. He responded with a big term, finding the footy and surging his team forward, getting involved in multiple scoring chains and even getting on the end of one himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you had've asked me who'd win this game a few weeks ago I wouldn't said Metro by 80+ points. But after WA's game on the weekend you'd have to think it will be a competitive game.

Very very curious to see how O'Farrell and Trainor go against Rohr and Gerreyn. That will be a really interesting watch.

Also happy to see Zak Johnson & Harry Armstrong get their opportunity for Metro. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Harry Armstrong has a meteoric rise similar to Nick Larkey, they are very similar players relying on work rate and old school forward craft to create most of their goal scoring opportunities.

If you had've asked me who'd win this game a few weeks ago I wouldn't said Metro by 80+ points. But after WA's game on the weekend you'd have to think it will be a competitive game.

Very very curious to see how O'Farrell and Trainor go against Rohr and Gerreyn. That will be a really interesting watch.

Also happy to see Zak Johnson & Harry Armstrong get their opportunity for Metro. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Harry Armstrong has a meteoric rise similar to Nick Larkey, they are very similar players relying on work rate and old school forward craft to create most of their goal scoring opportunities.
Rohr v Trainor
Gerreyn v O'Farrell
Champion vs Kako
Allan v Smillie
Urquhart v Smith
Burke v Moraes
Rodriguez v Ashcroft
Hayes v Nguyen
Curtin vs Richardson
Petersen v McKenzie

So many great match ups on both sides

Rohr v Trainor
Gerreyn v O'Farrell
Champion vs Kako
Allan v Smillie
Urquhart v Smith
Burke v Moraes
Rodriguez v Ashcroft
Hayes v Nguyen
Curtin vs Richardson
Petersen v McKenzie

So many great match ups on both sides
This is going to be very interesting, I'm hoping Kayle plays full forward and if he does, that they deliver the ball to him properly and give him a chance, but if they play him ruck for the majority of the game then I think I'll have my answer to the question I asked before the champs, the dream match up would be against Harry, now I rate Harry the best key defender in the draft, there are a couple of guys with very good potential but at the moment I think Harry's got them covered.

The interesting lad that goes close is out injured, Noah Mraz, so IF this matchup happens then one of two things are going to happen, Harry is going to have a few goals kicked on him and forget about Kayle being a second round pick, he'll be moving up that board quicker than you can say boo or the ball gets delivered not in a nice way and Harry plays like SOS and nothing is proven and Kayle does indeed go very cheaply in the second round, depending what else happens in the champs and the rest of the year.

This is going to be very interesting, I'm hoping Kayle plays full forward and if he does, that they deliver the ball to him properly and give him a chance, but if they play him ruck for the majority of the game then I think I'll have my answer to the question I asked before the champs, the dream match up would be against Harry, now I rate Harry the best key defender in the draft, there are a couple of guys with very good potential but at the moment I think Harry's got them covered.

The interesting lad that goes close is out injured, Noah Mraz, so IF this matchup happens then one of two things are going to happen, Harry is going to have a few goals kicked on him and forget about Kayle being a second round pick, he'll be moving up that board quicker than you can say boo or the ball gets delivered not in a nice way and Harry plays like SOS and nothing is proven and Kayle does indeed go very cheaply in the second round, depending what else happens in the champs and the rest of the year.

Harry O’Farrell actually reminds me of Daniel Talia. Just a reliable defender who competes, marks and just hates to lose. That defender first attitude will hold him in a really good place when it comes to his AFL development. He isn’t just purely a lockdown player though, because he is a beautiful mark of the ball particular if he has the space to float across in front of packs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back