Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just purely from watching noobermensch's fantastic highlights videos, I currently prefer an O'Sullivan or even a Draper over Smillie.

Don't get me wrong, Smillie can look great at times, has gotten great numbers in recent games and has the size of course, but how many more unaccountable midfielders (or ones that will try but still end up trailing their man by 20 metres when running back defensively anyway) can we accommodate for?

The most important team trait in today's football imo is pressure, and the team that can apply that to an elite level consistently, is the team that is more likely to come out on top. Find me someone who of course is talented, but also doesn't compromise our team pressure and preferably can contribute to it and I'll be a happy camper.

Smillie at the moment, reminds me of Curtin from last year or Bont but with less skill/class. Of course he could develop into a star but still not convinced just yet. O'Sullivan is the safer bet, and when you add him to a midfield of LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Powell, McKercher, etc. we should be laughing when they all hit their peak.

Also echo Souup's sentiment of wanting Trainor and Kako, would love them both but yeah no idea how we would be able to manufacture that outcome.

Langford's consistent production at this level can't be denied, but this game from him was a little scrappier than usual. His normally strong kicking was off, and he seemed to struggle at times with the lack of space and time afforded to him due to the excellent pressure applied by the Lions players.

Just purely from watching noobermensch's fantastic highlights videos, I currently prefer an O'Sullivan or even a Draper over Smillie.

Don't get me wrong, Smillie can look great at times, has gotten great numbers in recent games and has the size of course, but how many more unaccountable midfielders (or ones that will try but still end up trailing their man by 20 metres when running back defensively anyway) can we accommodate for?

The most important team trait in today's football imo is pressure, and the team that can apply that to an elite level consistently, is the team that is more likely to come out on top. Find me someone who of course is talented, but also doesn't compromise our team pressure and preferably can contribute to it and I'll be a happy camper.

Smillie at the moment, reminds me of Curtin from last year or Bont but with less skill/class. Of course he could develop into a star but still not convinced just yet. O'Sullivan is the safer bet, and when you add him to a midfield of LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Powell, McKercher, etc. we should be laughing when they all hit their peak.

Also echo Souup's sentiment of wanting Trainor and Kako, would love them both but yeah no idea how we would be able to manufacture that outcome.

Smillie looks like he’s playing out of his age group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the height for me.
We're missing a 193cm+ mid running around

It's the height for me.
We're missing a 193cm+ mid running around
Yep I get that our midfield, when you look at Powell, Wardlaw, Phillips, Simpkin, McKercher etc, are all similarly sized and could be considered on the shorter side as far as modern midfielders go, but does the height really matter all that much as an inside mid? Or is it the novelty or the thought of having an 194+ mid just because he's tall that makes Smillie an attractive option at pick 1?

Granted if our recruiters think he could be the next Bont, or if his size meant that he was nigh on un-tackleable in the middle, or un-spoilable in the air against other mids, then sure he would be a fantastic pick. His body may develop to the point that he does become that midfield beast that all teams seem to crave. But I don't really get that impression when watching his highlights. Not currently anyway. If, with his size, he showed the strength/athleticism of a Reid or our very own Georgie Wardlaw/Paul Curtis, then absolutely by all means. But as it stands, to me anyways, his height doesn't really mean much.

Either way, it's all guess work especially at this stage, and don't get me wrong, I'll welcome Smillie with open arms should he be our guy, but right now I like a couple of others over him at our pick.

Best midfield in the comp doesn't have anyone over 188cm:

Heeney - 185cm
Gulden - 175cm
Warner - 185cm
Adams - 181cm
Parker - 183cm
Rowbottom - 186cm
Mills - 188cm

Tbf they also basically have no one under 6 foot except Gulden, who is a freak. And Heeney plays 10cm taller.

Biggest thing for Sydney is they basically all run both ways.

Smillie struggled to get anything going in this game, one in which his Eastern team was comprehensively beaten by the Devils. He appeared to work from contest to contest as hard as usual, and perhaps applied even more defensive pressure, but he struggled mightily to get first hands on the ball at stoppage registering just one clearance for the game, and wasn't able to find much of it on the spread either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back