List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're going to mention the Pond Scum, then you also need to mention Thilthorpe & Berg... but bother were drafted more as forwards than ruckmen (same as the Pond Scum).
HUH

The subject was drafting Rucks as ruckmen.

Dante Visentini, Sam Hayes, Peter Ladhams were all drafted as rucks.....Himmelberg as a Key Forward/Defender and Thilthorpe as a Forward according to our draft guys, at the very most he'd be classed as a Forward/Ruck.

HUH

The subject was drafting Rucks as ruckmen.

Dante Visentini, Sam Hayes, Peter Ladhams were all drafted as rucks.....Himmelberg as a Key Forward/Defender and Thilthorpe as a Forward according to our draft guys, at the very most he'd be classed as a Forward/Ruck.
You mentioned Tippett (AKA Pond Scum), by which standard you also need to mention the other ruck/forwards we've drafted since then.

PS. I have updated my previous post, so you may want to revisit it.

You mentioned Tippett (AKA Pond Scum), by which standard you also need to mention the other ruck/forwards we've drafted since then.

PS. I have updated my previous post, so you may want to revisit it.
I don't need to revit it, our continued refusal to draft and develop a developable young ruck has been abysmal and that's exactly where we are at now, all self inflicted. Last year there were multiple suitable youngsters worth a shot with later/rookie picks. This year the best ruck options are SA's Alex Dodson if he chooses AFL career wise and he will almost certainly be long gone before our 2nd pick and Logan Smith (GWS Academy) who will be matched wherever the bid comes.

Man mountain Flynn Penry would be a decent option late/rookie unless he lights it up in the remainder of the Coates Talent League which is on the cards given he missed the 1st half of the season with an injury, one of the Cobden Bombers best on the weekend in the Hampen Football League seniors.

Only other worthwhile option I can see is the athletic Floyd Burmeister who is miles off being ready physically but is certainly developable with that prodigious leap and reasonable skills...most definitely a rookie option.

Last edited:

I don't need to revit it, our continued refusal to draft and develop a developable young ruck has been abysmal and that's exactly where we are at now, all self inflicted. Last year there were nultiple suitable youngsters worth a shot with later/rookie picks. This year the best ruck options are SA's Alex Dodson if he chooses AFL career wise and he will almost certainly be long gone before our 2nd pick and Logan Smith (GWS Academy) who will be matched wherever the bid comes.

Man mountain Flynn Penry would be a decent option late/rookie unless he lights it up in the remainder of the Coates Talent League which is on the cards given he missed the 1st half of the season with an injury, one of the Cobden Bombers best on the weekend in the Hampcen Football League seniors.

Only other worthwhile option I can see is the athletic Floyd Burmeister who is miles off being ready physically but is certainly developable with that prodigious leap and reasonable skills...most definitely a rookie option.
You do need to revisit it, because I made some fairly major changes.

You conveniently forgot to mention ROB when you talked about our refusal to draft a young ruckman. ROB was picked in the 2014 RD, a few months after his 19th birthday. He wasn't an 18yo, but he's close enough to fitting that bill. He certainly wasn't a mature aged ruckman like Strachan, or a trade-in like Lowden & Jacobs.

** I absolutely agree with you about our need to draft at least one "pure ruck" in this year's draft, and preferably a 2nd in the RD as well.

Ummm

Sam hayes was on their list from 2017 -2023, that's turfing them pretty quickly OK.

Currently 21 year old Dante Visentini drafted 2021 then extended to 2025, showing great potential in his 2 AFL games this season and dominates most weeks in the SANFL. Dante has shown more than enough to suggest he's ready whenever he's required.

Who are the last 18 year old pure rucks we drafted that actually played AFL?

Hint their christian names are John, Ivan and Jonathon of the 2004 vintage. That's right we drafted 3 ruckmen.

Kurt Tippett was drafted as a Forward.

How many games did the give Hayes? Or Teakle?

I agree they prioritise having ruckmen - but who have they drafted that has played any significant amount of time for them? They trade them in

Visentini looks okay - but they traded two guys in over the top of him - however he may well go past both of them.

I have openly said the biggest upgrade opportunity for our team is to get a ruckmen. And that’s because it should be relatively easy to do - as opposed to the A grade elite mid fielder trade in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You do need to revisit it, because I made some fairly major changes.

You conveniently forgot to mention ROB when you talked about our refusal to draft a young ruckman. ROB was picked in the 2014 RD, a few months after his 19th birthday. He wasn't an 18yo, but he's close enough to fitting that bill. He certainly wasn't a mature aged ruckman like Strachan, or a trade-in like Lowden & Jacobs.
Drafted as an overager in the rookie draft and the reasons for that are quite obvious, not the most gifted athletically or skills wise but an absolute competitive endurance beast that gives his all, not as bad as some on here would have you believe, not the worst ruck in the AFL by any means but he does have his deficiences and we should have drafted a youngster with potential in the interim...We haven't.

Drafted as an overager in the rookie draft and the reasons for that are quite obvious, not the most gifted athletically or skills wise but an absolute competitive endurance beast that gives his all, not as bad as some on here would have you believe, not the worst ruck in the AFL by any means but he does have his deficiences and we should have drafted a youngster with potential in the interim...We haven't.
Agree with all that. I think it's a very fair assessment of ROB.

... but the fact remains that ROB was drafted as a young (albeit "overager") "pure ruck", so your claim that we haven't drafted anyone fitting that bill since Maric/Griffin/Meesen was incorrect.

I also agree that drafting a young ruckman, as ROB's heir apparent, is long overdue.

The thing with ROB is we don't see that sort of performance often enough. Even with all his obvious shortcomings, if he played like that every week nobody would be questioning his place in the side.
Largely agree, but he’s been good since getting dropped. We absolutely need to address our ruck stocks this off season still, but it’s been good to see ROB respond since his poor early season form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummm

Sam hayes was on their list from 2017 -2023, that's turfing them pretty quickly OK.

Currently 21 year old Dante Visentini drafted 2021 then extended to 2025, showing great potential in his 2 AFL games this season and dominates most weeks in the SANFL. Dante has shown more than enough to suggest he's ready whenever he's required.

Who are the last 18 year old pure rucks we drafted that actually played AFL?

Hint their christian names are John, Ivan and Jonathon of the 2004 vintage. That's right we drafted 3 ruckmen.

Kurt Tippett was drafted as a Forward.
I don't think "no, they turf them slow" is a great rebuttal of his point, though.

Port draft rucks - but who they actually play are folks they trade in. Their drafted rucks sit around in the twos.

I don't need to revit it, our continued refusal to draft and develop a developable young ruck has been abysmal and that's exactly where we are at now, all self inflicted. Last year there were multiple suitable youngsters worth a shot with later/rookie picks. This year the best ruck options are SA's Alex Dodson if he chooses AFL career wise and he will almost certainly be long gone before our 2nd pick and Logan Smith (GWS Academy) who will be matched wherever the bid comes.

Man mountain Flynn Penry would be a decent option late/rookie unless he lights it up in the remainder of the Coates Talent League which is on the cards given he missed the 1st half of the season with an injury, one of the Cobden Bombers best on the weekend in the Hampen Football League seniors.

And yet you’ll never criticise Hamish

What ever happened to Will Verral the athletic ruck that went to Melbourne in the rookie draft a few years back? I know Mutineer really liked him and if he is 3rd in line there would a 3rd rounder or similar pry him loose?

What ever happened to Will Verral the athletic ruck that went to Melbourne in the rookie draft a few years back? I know Mutineer really liked him and if he is 3rd in line there would a 3rd rounder or similar pry him loose? His worj on was always his endurance.
Certainly did as a rookie pick, hasn't exactly set the VFL alight spending quite a bit of time forward though he had a good game the weekend just past in the ruck against the unaligned Frankston. The Dees did give him a year extension, out of contract 2024.

I have openly said the biggest upgrade opportunity for our team is to get a ruckmen. And that’s because it should be relatively easy to do - as opposed to the A grade elite mid fielder trade in

Upgrading ROB is a luxury - not a necessity.

We are 14th in the league. Plenty of other upgrades needed first.

What ever happened to Will Verral the athletic ruck that went to Melbourne in the rookie draft a few years back? I know Mutineer really liked him and if he is 3rd in line there would a 3rd rounder or similar pry him loose?
Goodwin mustn't think he's ready, as they went without any ruckmen in their AFL squad on the weekend.

“We haven’t got a ruckman that will win hitouts when Max doesn’t play,” he conceded.

Are you forgetting ROB? ROB was drafted in the 2014 RD, which would have been just after his 19th birthday. OK, he wasn't 18yo, but close enough to it. He certainly wasn't picked up as a mature aged player, like Strachan.

If you're going to mention the Pond Scum, then you also need to mention Jenkins, Thilthorpe & Berg... but all were drafted more as forwards than ruckmen (same as the Pond Scum).

Most of the "pure" ruckmen we've picked up over that time have been via trades - Lowden, Jacobs.
Most of our ruckmen have been through the draft.

Sounds excellent - obviously unlikely to get the extra first rounder but I would happily offer up next years to have two cracks this year

Barrett looks tied to Port based on the change to NGA rules - would like us to be in a position to eat up there first pick though (around 32) with a bid in the late 20’s. Hopefully Dodson gets through to there although seems unlikely

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There are so many quality forward half running / pressure / finishing weapons in this years draft

Feels like we need one so that Ned and Murphy never play again

Joe Berry country - wouldn’t spit the dummy if we took him with our 1st pick he’s that good and will play midfield too

Day-Wicks country
Cody Angove WA
Jasper Alger country
Davis WA
Barrett SA
Hayes WA

That’s just off top of my head too , there’s more

Better players than our 2

The other one is Dodson , would be great to get that done as it’s much easier to have a project ruck that might take a while if he’s a local . He actually might not take that long anyway and could be a special player

Laird won’t have any trade currency. He’s similar to Taylor Adams and same age. Adams went for pick 33 last years. Laird with an extra year wouldn’t get a pick that high.
I think we should be playing Laird half back right now where he would thrive then trade him to one of the top 6 clubs who might give up a top 25-35 pick for an experienced role player

We won’t though

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back