List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

Billings is far from a spud. He is a solid role player, he's injury free and doing a decent/good job on the wing for Melbourne.

We wanted him to be a game-winner... but his is not.

Did it really get that bad that we had to offload a number 3 draft pick for nothing and pay his salary?
I agree except for one key point.
Billings is most definitely a massive spud.
Spud, spud ,spud, spud, spud, spud, spud, spuddy McSpud spudy spud spud. That's him in a spudshell. A spud.
And not the good kind of spud either. In fact, not even good for mashing let alone any form holding variety of spud product.

Billings is far from a spud. He is a solid role player, he's injury free and doing a decent/good job on the wing for Melbourne.

Did it really get that bad that we had to offload a number 3 draft pick for nothing and pay his salary?

We can agree to disagree, he’s had next to no meaningful output for years upon years and doesn’t have a contested game nor does he use the pill well enough.

The reality is that being a former number 3 pick means, well, nothing at all.

He’s hardly set the world alight on the wing at Melbourne, if anything has gone back to his usual, spud self of late.

The reality is if you’d had asked a year ago if there’s any player on the list who we should pay to go to another club, and in fact lose some games, I probably would’ve chosen Junior Burger.

I'm not a fan.
Never was. He is the Ron Weasley of football, and his face annoys me.

Funny Mattaes is not even:
  • 2 weeks older then Arie Schoenmakers.
  • 3 Months older then Lance Collard
  • 4 months older then Hugo

Patience please.
Yep.
Acres was a “space cadet” remember?
He’s not doing too badly right now.

I'm not a fan.
Never was. He is the Ron Weasley of football, and his face annoys me.
What the hell did Ron ever do to you?
OK so he’s not Elite like Harry or Hermoine, but he’s a solid A grader.
🤣

I agree except for one key point.
Billings is most definitely a massive spud.
Spud, spud ,spud, spud, spud, spud, spud, spuddy McSpud spudy spud spud. That's him in a spudshell. A spud.
And not the good kind of spud either. In fact, not even good for mashing let alone any form holding variety of spud product.
I get it & it’s a bit of a joke and he has gone - but do you think we might have failed to develop him whilst he was at the Saints? I wasn’t an Acres fan but he says hi!

What the hell did Ron ever do to you?
OK so he’s not Elite like Harry or Hermoine, but he’s a solid A grader.
🤣
Ron Weasley is the Jack Billings of Hogwarts and the Harry Potter franchise 😆
Surprised Harry Potter GIF

Did you see some of the trades Sos made for the Giants players whilst at the Blues.
Yeah. Was solid work as far as I am concerned. You just have to look at the total work, and not any single player in isolation.

In 2015 he traded Lachie Henderson to Geelong for a late first. He then traded that late first and pile of junk picks (points) to GWS for Plowman, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner AND pick 8 (Harry McKay).

In 2016, he traded a late first for Marchbank. About right value, just a shame his body was made of glass. Palmer & Pickett were attached as condition of sale

In 2017 he traded in M.Kennedy for a mid-second rounder. A solid, poor mans version of the Steele trade

Essentially he traded a 2 late firsts and a second for McKay, Marchbank and Kennedy

As a bonus they also got a look at a number of high draft picks (including top 10 picks) that were floundering while he was there. They mostly ended up busts, but cost nothing and seems worth a punt. No issue from me at the cost paid

If they revamp the academy and F/s rules it might mean that in future teams are less likely to trade their early picks for multiple late picks.
Potentially making it harder for us.
Just make clubs pay fair value. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say with the academy and FS system the way it is the saints will never win a flag

Just make clubs pay fair value. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say with the academy and FS system the way it is the saints will never win a flag

I think i agree.
But my point was the flow on affect.
If they have to pay their fair value, other teams won't be able to buy an early pick with a portfolio of later picks.
We should have milked that system more when it was available.

We recently did it a bit. We got the Hastie pick ( suns) for a couple of late picks.

Others have done it way more though, and i'm not sure it was worth it.
Three first round picks for the Riley Sanders pick? He's good but is he better than having Wilson, Collard and this year's first round pick? I guess like the discussion here, they must have considered Sanders to be "Top End Talent" and they wanted to access it.

Actually that deal would seem good for the Suns even if they didn't have academy kids.
Back in 2016 the Saints sold their pick 10 (absorbed by Bowes, could have landed Florent or Simpkin ) for a 2nd, a 3rd and a future first. ( Long, Battle, Coffield ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy Dow has played 30% of his games for the Carlton reserves.

I don't see an upside with a switch from Billings or Gresham to Dow.

Looks like a poor mans Luke Dunstan to me.

Billings peaked in clearances and contested possessions 4 years ago.
Dunstan was a contested bull the day he started playing AFL.

Dow is somewhere between the two, actually most mids in the AFL are probably somewhere in between the two.

Billings peaked in clearances and contested possessions 4 years ago.
Dunstan was a contested bull the day he started playing AFL.

Dow is somewhere between the two, actually most mids in the AFL are probably somewhere in between the two.
and Billings was not a midfielder

I think i agree.
But my point was the flow on affect.
If they have to pay their fair value, other teams won't be able to buy an early pick with a portfolio of later picks.
We should have milked that system more when it was available.

We recently did it a bit. We got the Hastie pick ( suns) for a couple of late picks.

Others have done it way more though, and i'm not sure it was worth it.
Three first round picks for the Riley Sanders pick? He's good but is he better than having Wilson, Collard and this year's first round pick? I guess like the discussion here, they must have considered Sanders to be "Top End Talent" and they wanted to access it.

Actually that deal would seem good for the Suns even if they didn't have academy kids.
Back in 2016 the Saints sold their pick 10 (absorbed by Bowes, could have landed Florent or Simpkin ) for a 2nd, a 3rd and a future first. ( Long, Battle, Coffield ).

Riley Sanders looks like another Horne-Francis level prospect. After Harley Reid, Sanders and McKercher were the two best prospects IMO. Means nothing once you're drafted but he;'s absolute blue chip.

If Windsor turns out to be better we won the lottery getting him where did.

Riley Sanders looks like another Horne-Francis level prospect. After Harley Reid, Sanders and McKercher were the two best prospects IMO. Means nothing once you're drafted but he;'s absolute blue chip.

Windsor?

Ryley Sanders 7 games
free kicks for = 0
free kicks against = 0
contested possessions per game = 5
tackles per game = 4

Based on that Hugo Garcia is looking a steal.

Ryley Sanders 7 games
free kicks for = 0
free kicks against = 0
contested possessions per game = 5
tackles per game = 4

Based on that Hugo Garcia is looking a steal.

Okay, you really need to get off the stats pages. I'd say there is about 10% chance that Sanders doesn't make it as at least a good player. As good as Hugo has been he's going to have to defy history to make it to 100 games. Sanders is being slowly fed in. Due to injury we have to play our kids at the coal face.

Okay, you really need to get off the stats pages. I'd say there is about 10% chance that Sanders doesn't make it as at least a good player. As good as Hugo has been he's going to have to defy history to make it to 100 games. Sanders is being slowly fed in. Due to injury we have to play our kids at the coal face

It was the Horne Francis levels comparison for Sanders that got me. You seem to overate every other player in the league ahead of any of our players.

Wilson is the equal if not better performed player of the two.

As for Garcia - he will turn out to be the absolute steal of the draft.

It was the Horne Francis levels comparison for Sanders that got me. You seem to overate every other player in the league ahead of any of our players.

Wilson is the equal if not better performed player of the two.

As for Garcia - he will turn out to be the absolute steal of the draft.

Garcia looks the goods and looks a steal but there is a reason Sanders was as high as 3 on the draft boards. He averaged 33 possessions in the Coates league and dominated at junior level. Garcia was off broadway and someone had to project on him.

I doubt pre draft anyone thought they'd end up equal players and I think you'd still be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks that Sanders isn't the more likely prospect. Hugo will have to scrap for every opportunity. Sanders will be given every opportunity. They paid up big because he's a blue chip prospect.

He's very likely to be a star quality type and the Bulldogs again got lucky being given so many high end kids for near free that they could move up the draft in order to target that type.

And yet I'd argue only Reid has looked better then big Wilson so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back