Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Now it’s the supporters fault. You really will blame anyone BUT Ross.

The trainee receptionist hasn’t had a shot fired in her direction for a while, she’s due.
You really are obsessed with blaming everyone for everything under the sun. It's really f***** cold outside today, who's fault is that one??

I’m surprisingly Zen. I think we all knew at the end of last week it was outrageous that we were favourites for this match. And too right, we should have lost by 40.

Oh well, at least um… nah just oh well.

The worst thing that could happen was a mini resurgence that ends in a late top ten pick.

I’ve seen more losses in my lifetime than supporters of some other clubs would see in 5 lifetimes but last night was a dagger that we needed.

All the rage at Ross is misplaced… any track watcher will tell you that the much maligned game plan is actually to move the ball quickly… when you have so many senior players either incapable of basic skills to do this effectively & a midfield that can’t get their hands on the ball then no game plan has a chance.

We need top end talent to replace the battlers that we currently have… a pure class midfielder or two & this will be a very different team.

Over to you Mr Dalrymple…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To totally rebuild the midfield, apart from the draft, youngish mids we should target:

1. LDU
2. Will Brodie (not getting playing time with Freo)
3. Sam Berry (Adelaide, a tackling machine)
4. Will Philips (former pick 3, starved off opportunities at North)
5. Hobbs (not getting opportunities at Bombers)
6. Any young genuine mids from GWS, Carlton or Bulldogs because they have oversupply of them

Anyone else I’ve missed
That’s the ki da thinking required

C'mon, King should have easily marked those 4 passes to him when he was one on . That those 4 passes were all out on the full did not seem to be a problem for two of our opposition this year who both scored goals from marks taken over the line. ;)

The narrative around King out of the game was he competed well. Really! Like he should get praise for that.

Dropped marks by your key forward have an impact on the midfield even more so on inexperienced midfield so it go both ways for those giving the forwards and Max King an excuse for poor delivery.

Honour the pass with a mark atleast....MAX!

Not ignoring that at all. We lack a serious amount of talent and experience from the midfield to the forward line. My comments about the forward line players are fairly relevant I would have thought though.

I'll add some comments about our midfield:

I think we need to relieve Steele of the Captaincy to let him focus on his game only.

Dow will need some games to build up to full conditioning but he has a reputation for butchering it by foot so I'm concerned about that.

Henry 2 games back and still doesn't look confident to hunt and attack the contest like he did against the Pies, but he's set the benchmark so hopefully we can see that consistently.

Windy also set a benchmark against the Pies with his ability to hunt the ball on the inside and distribute to the outside and get us going forward. From listening to RLs presser it seems like he was trying to get Windy to find a balance of that style of play but ended up too focused on Serong to create any drive for his own side.

Jones will be delisted at seasons end.

Paton should be given 2 or 3 weeks at least but is probably fighting for his place on the list.

Wood hasn't been his usual self since injury.

Now as far as Pou goes, I can see the logic of keeping him in the side for 2 reasons, firstly the VFL is a low stadards feeder comp, and Sandy is one of the lower standard sides within that comp. Secondly our season is over so why not keep him in the team where he's getting the best resources for development.
Good points there- though Steele would himself need to step down as captain, and I don't think it will happen. Wood has had an ordinary season even before injury, and I think he may just be playing with a bit of self preservation after a bad injury, same for Henry, but it's not helping us.
Paton is a good solid medium rung defender but his forward move was not one of Lyon's finest ideas, though he did help setup two goals and I guess it was an attempt to get a solid middle size player in there for defensive work, as our forward defensive work is a shocker...our whole forward line is a shocker.
Pou needs time at Sandy to work on and develop his physical game as he is getting pushed off the ball easily, which only helps the opposition, but strength will come as he matures, but I still doubt if he is up to senior AFL and doesnt really deserve a game yet. Same goes for Collard who needs to get into the contest much more, but he is young and will improve over the next couple of seasons. I see more upside in Hastie and Garcia.
Windy is an excellent defensive mid, but needs a bit of work on his ball handling and attacking game- as our midfield just doesn't attack the ball hard enough at ground level- seems more about blocking the opposition, which means less forward entries for us generally and too many chances to cough the ball up.
It's a team of individuals right now, and Lyon needs to get the team ethic working again, get them bonding more as a group- it seems lacking.

It's there though right? There is evidence that this club can play at a much higher level than they are at the minute.
This is what has me stuffed
It is and we can - saw quick movement against Pies and great effort
From that to …last night WTF?
I’m in the skill/execution camp cause no one could seriously coach that shyte
But I do agree with Lyon on 1 thing …it starts in the middle
1st half last night we did appear to break even around contest and looked ok
Putrid after that

He dropped a sitter, that virtually killed us off

Was that when Sincs was bursting from a centre clearance looking at our 203cm forward leading at him … Sincs pass is headed straight for the big full forward’s chest….

Only to have a HBF come HFF running back into Max’s space & drop a one handed marking attempt?

Hmmmm…

I said it Friday and I’ll say it again. Whoever made the decision to play Lance Collard must have been stoned.

They either haven’t watched the past few VFL games or were made to make the woke decision to play him because it’s Sir Doug Nicholls round.

Hope he becomes a star but he isn’t even close to being ready for AFL. I felt sorry for him.

Euro - Woke

The worst thing that could happen was a mini resurgence that ends in a late top ten pick.

I’ve seen more losses in my lifetime than supporters of some other clubs would see in 5 lifetimes but last night was a dagger that we needed.

All the rage at Ross is misplaced… any track watcher will tell you that the much maligned game plan is actually to move the ball quickly… when you have so many senior players either incapable of basic skills to do this effectively & a midfield that can’t get their hands on the ball then no game plan has a chance.

We need top end talent to replace the battlers that we currently have… a pure class midfielder or two & this will be a very different team.

Over to you Mr Dalrymple…

Bang on.

Game plans are fairly similar amoungst the comp and it is only the coaches who have top 4 talent at their disposal that can introduce riskier components to their game plan.

Skill errors come from a less talented and inexperienced side like ours especially if you are trying to move the ball quickly. So it's a double edges sword and symptomatic of a side part way into a hard rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon gets asked about the connection between the midfielders and forwards and how the absence of Membrey and Higgins is contributing to our lack of goals and his response was along the lines of ‘that wasn’t our issue today, what were we 45 points at half time? We left a lot on the table.’

Is that not the most bizarre answer? Am I misunderstanding him? Our ‘connection’ is broken. We are terrible going inside 50, probably one of the worst in the league. How can he say that with a straight face? We get it in there a fair bit but it most definitely IS the issue, and that’s the case most weeks.

I said it Friday and I’ll say it again. Whoever made the decision to play Lance Collard must have been stoned.

They either haven’t watched the past few VFL games or were made to make the woke decision to play him because it’s Sir Doug Nicholls round.

Hope he becomes a star but he isn’t even close to being ready for AFL. I felt sorry for him.

Euro - Woke
He’ll request a trade home soon enough

Okay, my take outs:

- Whose putrid decision was it for Steele to tag Fyfe? He’s not even their best mid and there’s relatively minimal benefit in this match up.

- Owens and King didn’t stop trying, could’ve had Curnow and McKay tonight and still wouldn’t have made any difference.

- It’s becoming an increasingly restrictive game style with Ross. I get that we want to remain competitive while building, particularly given state of the list, but won’t win anything with this brand of footy. Something has to change.

- I think this contested brand of footy leads to a lot of skill errors, due to playing out of congestion and an exhaustion friendly style.

- Too many short kicks out of D50, mostly lateral or at angles, with minimal territory gain which just invites unnecessary pressure.

- First game of the year I can remember really being smashed at stoppages. We looked a better side when at least breaking even, being more comfortable moving the ball quickly for territory.

- Dow was impressive in his first game back. Pou really needs a spell in the VFL, similar to Windy last year. Can’t play Pou, Lance and Paton together.

- I feel for Marshall, top 3 ruck in the AFL, arguably best on his day, and continues to toil himself for this god forsaken mob. Chuck Wilkie in there too.
Hopefully Crouch, Higgins and Clarke come in to help with everything.

Crouch’s been a big loss and so has been Clarke as a bench player.

I’ve been as harsh on King as anyone, however last night wasn’t his fault. I don’t think a single forward in the league would have succeeded when the ball was coming in so slow into a congested forward line and kicked to a disadvantageous position most of the time. And when he was on a good lead they kicked it out on the full. And there were three or four instances where umpires would usually pay either a mark or free kick that he didn’t get. He still needs to work on his forward craft but he competed far better last night.
Dropped marks that should be swallow up as bred and butter by a key forward can also have an impact on the midfielders. It's a two way thing, commonly referred to as connection, or in the old language "synergy".

Was that when Sincs was bursting from a centre clearance looking at our 203cm forward leading at him … Sincs pass is headed straight for the big full forward’s chest….

Only to have a HBF come HFF running back into Max’s space & drop a one handed marking attempt?

Hmmmm…

That was so unbelievably bad....nearly put something through the telly then.

Lyon gets asked about the connection between the midfielders and forwards and how the absence of Membrey and Higgins is contributing to our lack of goals and his response was along the lines of ‘that wasn’t our issue today, what were we 45 points at half time? We left a lot on the table.’

Is that not the most bizarre answer? Am I misunderstanding him? Our ‘connection’ is broken. We are terrible going inside 50, probably one of the worst in the league. How can he say that with a straight face? We get it in there a fair bit but it most definitely IS the issue, and that’s the case most weeks.
45 points isn't even an 8-goal half. The target for every quarter should be at least 4 goals.

That said, we were 5.3 at half time, so I have no idea where he's pulled 45 from. Deliberate deflection. 'Leaving points on the table' is not the equivalent of scoring.

I reckon you mean Anderson (not Touk and Miller). On current form Steele woukd be behind

Melbourne - Trac, Clarry, Viney
Suns - Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Flanders
Dogs - Bont, Libba, Richards, Macrae, Treloar
Giants - Green, Callaghan, Cogs, Ward, Whitfield

By my very quick scan of teams Steele probably “walks” into the roos (purely as an experienced head), West Coast, Hawthorn, Richmond (mostly due to injuries) and maaaaaaaybe Geelong.
Yeah good pick up phants. Would've been great if he was a father son.

Honestly, If we somehow fix our midfield I think we'll improve dramatically.

Our defence is solid and our forward line is fairly diverse but the supply and delivery is terrible.

Just hope we don't get desperate and overpay to get someone or average or give away early picks to get one. Lets use the picks to draft our own because it costs significantly less

Cooper Sharman is subbed out so spends 45% of the match on the ground, has 3 possessions and kicks 0.1.
Max King has more than double that time (97% ToG) and also registers one behind.
Trying is simply not enough when you are the spearhead.
I'm sorry I can't keep hearing this.
Tell me what he is supposed to do against the best defence in the comp when he is scragged and held at every single contest.
I watched Amiss get a cheap chopping the arms which was 50/50 at best
Then continuously watch our key forward get molested at contest after contest.
Blocking chopping the arms holding we should 100 percent be sending a please explain to the AFL at least to show we have his ****ing back.

He tried his gut out got burned repeatedly by insipid disposal that was barely auskick standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back