List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, it wonā€™t be purely 2 firsts for Houston. Weā€™d surely have something coming back along with him. But imo if we can get our hands on another first this year we should just take both of our picks to the draft instead of using them in a deal for Houston.

While I have always been an advocate for the draft, it should never be a blanket approach

Players picked beyond to top 5 picks only average about 100 odd game career and you can find talent at every level

While I have always been an advocate for the draft, it should never be a blanket approach

Players picked beyond to top 5 picks only average about 100 odd game career and you can find talent at every level
Certainly not advocating for a blanket approach either. I would be willing to spend two firsts in a trade for a player more appropriate for our needs.

See if we can pry pick 12 off GC using our F1...

Take 11 + 12 to the draft.

Also, try and combine picks we get for Owies + Kennedy with maybe our 31 to try and get another late first...

That would be the smartest thing we can do this year.

If we have 11, 12 and 18 then throw one of those + F2 at Houston... we're dumb af.

We will have so many players in their 30's or late 20's next year... we're already the 6th oldest in the comp...

Adding another who will be late 20's, play a pos that we shouldn't be spending 1st rounders on and take considerable cap space is just irresponsible list management...

Whatever space we have, MUST be reserved for Weiters and TDK who enters FA market next year...

We need to do a mini re-build. It will come at the cost of falling back in next year's draft, but we make up for it by adding 3 first rounders + Campo boys this year and the year after next, we will get our hands on Cody Walker.
I actually hope we can get pick 12 off the suns and take pick 11 and 12 in the draft

Certainly not advocating for a blanket approach either. I would be willing to spend two firsts in a trade for a player more appropriate for our needs.

Exactly, if we were looking at a trade for Butters or Petracca, then two 1st round picks would make more sense...

One first rounder won't seal the deal for Houston... Port will want more and given he's contracted they have no reason not to... we will at the very least need to throw another pick upgrade in for them... whether that's our F2 for a 3rd rounder or something similar... it's still too much to pay for a hb.

I made this point years ago when we traded pick 8 for Saad... I didn't want us to do it back then, we did it and yes, while Saad has been a good pickup... he's 31 next year and we don't even have a single top 4 finish to show for it... clock is ticking away... he might retire or be very close to in a couple years...

Look at Port's midfield compared to ours... Houston's elite kicking works with them... with our one paced midfield that relies on Cripps... that floods the wing and doesn't move to create options... Houston will have a hard time having the same impact in navy blue... he's just the wrong player for us to target at this stage imo...

Houston would be great but heā€™s a bit too old for my liking.

I donā€™t mind if we use a F1 for a player but preferably if they are around 20-24.

We have the senior players, letā€™s hit the draft hard with 2/3 1st this year, a couple of young guys from other clubs that need a change and the Campos is what Iā€™m hoping for

Exactly, if we were looking at a trade for Butters or Petracca, then two 1st round picks would make more sense...

One first rounder won't seal the deal for Houston... Port will want more and given he's contracted they have no reason not to... we will at the very least need to throw another pick upgrade in for them... whether that's our F2 for a 3rd rounder or something similar... it's still too much to pay for a hb.

I made this point years ago when we traded pick 8 for Saad... I didn't want us to do it back then, we did it and yes, while Saad has been a good pickup... he's 31 next year and we don't even have a single top 4 finish to show for it... clock is ticking away... he might retire or be very close to in a couple years...

Look at Port's midfield compared to ours... Houston's elite kicking works with them... with our one paced midfield that relies on Cripps... that floods the wing and doesn't move to create options... Houston will have a hard time having the same impact in navy blue... he's just the wrong player for us to target at this stage imo...
Weā€™ve had about 15 first round picks in this rebuild. Using 1 on Saad who is one of our best players is irrelevant.
Weā€™ve used about 10 first rounders on midfielders, and havenā€™t got a top 4 finish to show for it. Doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t need them too.

I just hope that the midfield shake up will bring the point of difference that we need to compete with others.
Who could possibly do that...

Iā€™ve made up my mind. We need to hit this draft hard and avoid the Houston trap.

Morris, Lohmann, Ashcroft, Wilmot, Fletcher. We need to find our own version of this young core that can bring energy to our older stars rather than adding another star for a massive price.
So we need our academy systems to shit diamonds and compliment them with top 30 picks? Ok, I'm down

Weā€™ve had about 15 first round picks in this rebuild. Using 1 on Saad who is one of our best players is irrelevant.

It isn't... we should have brought him over without having to pay pick 8.

Weā€™ve used about 10 first rounders on midfielders, and havenā€™t got a top 4 finish to show for it. Doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t need them too.

No draft pick is a guarantee...

That doesn't mean you throw your first round picks out for hbf's...

Chasing quality mature aged players like Saad and Houston should not be done at the expense of at the very least, trying to improve the midfield...

It isn't... we should have brought him over without having to pay pick 8.

No draft pick is a guarantee...

That doesn't mean you throw your first round picks out for hbf's...

Chasing quality mature aged players like Saad and Houston should not be done at the expense of at the very least, trying to improve the midfield...
Zorko will probably win Brisbanes B&F, they are bloody important.

Edit. Not aimed at you but people were talking up Sydneyā€™s small/mid forwards on here over the last few days. Are they now their problem?
In saying this imo small forwards are our biggest weakness and Iā€™ve been annoying people for years about it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zorko will probably win Brisbanes B&F, they are bloody important.

Edit. Not aimed at you but people were talking up Sydneyā€™s small/mid forwards on here over the last few days. Are they now their problem?
In saying this imo small forwards are our biggest weakness and Iā€™ve been annoying people for years about it.

A mid 30's player winning a B&F is outside of the norm. Basing my point on the fact that usually once players hit early to mid 30's, they decline.

Small forwards are one weakness... but our biggest is our midfield and I've been saying so for a while now...

Isn't it just the two? Dow & SPS? We've otherwise gone the recycle bin route.
Meanwhile we've allocated more resources to rebounding defenders than any other position.

Reckon things could get very very spicy.

Sydney will pissed at that & we know they have no problem make monstrous offer for a gun key forward.

Realistically (& Iā€™m not saying we will/should etc) just purely asking a hypothetical questionā€¦
what would we want from them, if they said ā€œwe want Hā€ ?

FYI - they have picks (17 & 19)

And GF isnā€™t a valid answer šŸ˜‚

Reckon things could get very very spicy.

Sydney will pissed at that & we know they have no problem make monstrous offer for a gun key forward.

Realistically (& Iā€™m not saying we will/should etc) just purely asking a hypothetical questionā€¦
what would we want from them, if they said ā€œwe want Hā€ ?

FYI - they have picks (17 & 19)

And GF isnā€™t a valid answer šŸ˜‚
17, 19, Papley and Campbell as a starting point.

Still wouldn't do it though.

A mid 30's player winning a B&F is outside of the norm. Basing my point on the fact that usually once players hit early to mid 30's, they decline.

Small forwards are one weakness... but our biggest is our midfield and I've been saying so for a while now...
I don't agree. You take Cripps out of our midfield and we can still find a way to win.
You take Weiters out and we are going to struggle big time. We need to settle our back 6.

Isn't it just the two? Dow & SPS? We've otherwise gone the recycle bin route.
Meanwhile we've allocated more resources to rebounding defenders than any other position.
If we are talking decent resources then Walsh, SPS, Dow, Philp, Stoker, Fisher, Cuningham traded for Kennedy, Cerra and Setterfield. Only draft assets off the top of my head would be Cowan and Saad. Williams obviously cap space but apparently he was a midfielder but obviously a hbf.

If we are talking decent resources then Walsh, SPS, Dow, Philp, Stoker, Fisher, Cuningham traded for Kennedy, Cerra and Setterfield. Only draft assets off the top of my head would be Cowan and Saad. Williams obviously cap space but apparently he was a midfielder but obviously a hbf.
I skipped over Walsh of all people. Lol
I was thinking: Doc, Williams, Saad, Kemp, Boyd, Cowan & McGovern - we have more AFL calibre options back there than available positions, so we're now repurposing players elsewhere.
It might be a sign that perhaps the list is unbalanced but apparently not, because we're now apparently eyeing off Houston for a healthy chunk of $ and something resembling a first & a second round pick.

Edit: misread the previous post, thought you meant top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back