Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How many 1sts have we used, these last 2x years?

2022: Mackenzie + Weddle
2023: Wiz + McCabe

Is it correct that clubs will be able to trade 2-3 years in advance come this off-season?

I believe his entire family are members and maybe his grandfather played for hawthorn at some level (?)

If he stays at the Saints that shows real stregth of character. I'd be gutted but cant help respect that level of loyalty.
Of course, the only FA's we have that were lifelong Hawks actually have morals and intestinal fortitude and a desire to stick around.

Season 2 Smh GIF by The Lonely Island

I am just here to figure out what the headlines will be if we sign/don't sign Battle.

Hawks win the battle but lose the warchest! (Battle signs with the Hawks as the highest paid Hawk)
Hawks win battle and war! (Battle signs with the Hawks at a reasonable market price)
Battle wins battle and Saints lose war. (Battle resigns at the Saints on an inflated price)

I am just here to figure out what the headlines will be if we sign/don't sign Battle.

Hawks win the battle but lose the warchest! (Battle signs with the Hawks as the highest paid Hawk)
Hawks win battle and war! (Battle signs with the Hawks at a reasonable market price)
Battle wins battle and Saints lose war. (Battle resigns at the Saints on an inflated price)
The War (for Battle) is over

I believe his entire family are members and maybe his grandfather played for hawthorn at some level (?)

If he stays at the Saints that shows real stregth of character. I'd be gutted but cant help respect that level of loyalty.
I feel like he would seriously shore up our backline, with Blancky to come back next year, Sic roaming, Scrim in ripping form, Weds, Dimma, Jars etc etc. starts to look very strong.

If I was Lyon, I would be saying to Battle:

"Hawks are clearly on the way up and could win a premiership or two before you hang up the boots. However, there is no guarantee you will be part of the premiership team. You have to get past one of Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle for starters. They also have two first round backs in the wings and Jai Serong who is handy. Stay here and you will always be best 22, we will match any salary they offer, and we might even make you captain."

"Hawks are clearly on the way up and could win a premiership or two before you hang up the boots. However, there is no guarantee you will be part of the premiership team. You have to get past one of Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle for starters. They also have two first round backs in the wings and Jai Serong who is handy. Stay here and you will always be best 22, we will match any salary they offer, and we might even make you captain."

Telling a player he’s not good enough to get a game elsewhere is not an effective way of keeping them.

Clarko tried that on Isaac Smith.

Hi, first time poster.
First post!
Would we prefer Battle or Perryman if we were going after one or the other?
I know we were after Battle but haven't heard much about Perryman.
Cant remember the reporter who said that they had a conversation with a list manager in the AFL and asked him where Perryman plays exactly and whats his best position and the answer was something like wherever you need him.

The fact he plays HBF at Giants is more because of the club he plays at. He can play all 3 lines on the field, just that GWS have a lot of mids there.

Dont forget Whitfield and Ash were drafted as mids/wingers as well but both play the HB kicking role

He really is the old school utility, was drafted as a midfielder but his footy smarts allowed them to use him in other roles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Hawks are clearly on the way up and could win a premiership or two before you hang up the boots. However, there is no guarantee you will be part of the premiership team. You have to get past one of Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle for starters. They also have two first round backs in the wings and Jai Serong who is handy. Stay here and you are no chance to win a premiership but will always be best 22, we will match any salary they offer, and we might even make you captain."
You forgot part of Ross’s spiel, I added it for you 😉

Last edited:
As much as I would love to see us land Callaghan, I am sure the Giants would ask a kings ransom in exchange and it would also most likely stop us from pursuing Bailey Smith.

I....I honestly wouldn't care about Bailey anymore if I saw Callaghan was wearing the Hawks Polo under the Kennedy statue.

How I expect the rest of that convo to go between Lyon & Battle:

1719487250367.png

I can’t imagine Ross or other coaches for that matter would be too happy with Mitch directly calling their players so aggressively. I hope they don’t try to do that to our players in demand.

You forgot part of Ross’s spiel, I added it for you 😉

You forgot the part where Ross says "you'll also get to play in the most defensive boring team in the history of the sport. Your skills will be transferable as a soccer goal keeper when you finish up and at some point I might just not play you because that's the way I roll. The choice is yours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back