Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the point of the Ward conversation is that soon and aligned to the clubs strategy, we will need to start list rebalancing. That means some tough calls will need to be made losing players we rate to get players we have a greater need for. Itā€™s better to be in control of that as much as possible than to have players look to leave that you want to keep. the list management team will be having these conversations without the emotion as they would be negligent if not.

All the same, if we look at it pragmatically he is behind a few in the pecking order and may be pushed back again next year. I think that's a valid concern.

Again, I want him to make it, but I remain concerned about his ability to break into our midfield.
For now. I think talent wise, he's a better player than both Worpel and Nash and will push them to the fringe in time. Last week, e seemed to play with a freedom he hasn't exhibited before and did things that were instinctual, rather than concentrate on structure etc. Once he has the confidence to do that at AFL level, he'll push one of those two out. Ultimately, I see our starting mid quartet in a few years being Day, Newcombe, Frenchie and Ward, with Nash and Worpel rotating through.

How is Huss being discussed as trade bait? He hasn't even completed 2 years on the list and has played a handful of games. Pretty good start from a pick 37. I'd be staggered if he were looking elsewhere, even if he got a tap on the shoulder.

How is Huss being discussed as trade bait? He hasn't even completed 2 years on the list and has played a handful of games. Pretty good start from a pick 37. I'd be staggered if he were looking elsewhere, even if he got a tap on the shoulder.
So DGB, Ward and Huss all delisted by the folk here. Wonder who will be next

For now. I think talent wise, he's a better player than both Worpel and Nash and will push them to the fringe in time. Last week, e seemed to play with a freedom he hasn't exhibited before and did things that were instinctual, rather than concentrate on structure etc. Once he has the confidence to do that at AFL level, he'll push one of those two out. Ultimately, I see our starting mid quartet in a few years being Day, Newcombe, Frenchie and Ward, with Nash and Worpel rotating through.

I would like to see that also but the problem is that neither Nash nor Worpel have shown the ability to play anywhere else successfully except in the guts.

The only reason you trade out a young player with the upside of Ward or HH is to facilitate a trade where we are getting someone equivalent (or better) back that is around the same age profile with minimal risk.

I'm thinking someone like H.Reid, Finn Callaghan or Sheezel. There are very few players that fit into this bracket.

Baz would be a fantastic fit for our side, but he does come with a bit of risk. I would be hesitant to include a young player like Ward/HH in that trade, particularly when we will have ample picks to get something done.

The only reason you trade out a young player with the upside of Ward or HH is to facilitate a trade where we are getting someone equivalent (or better) back that is around the same age profile with minimal risk.

I'm thinking someone like H.Reid, Finn Callaghan or Sheezel. There are very few players that fit into this bracket.

Baz would be a fantastic fit for our side, but he does come with a bit of risk. I would be hesitant to include a young player like Ward/HH in that trade, particularly when we will have ample picks to get something done.

I reckon we could get Baz using draft capital. Dogs maybe keen on our future first.

I think future first will increase in value before Tasmania comes into the AFL as everyone wants the talent on there list to carry them forward and around TAS when they arrive.

I think future first will increase in value before Tasmania comes into the AFL as everyone wants the talent on there list to carry them forward and around TAS when they arrive.

Indeed.

This could also be a reason for the focus on bringing in players who supported the club when they were young - they would maybe be less likely to take an opportunity to play in TAS than a Collingwood supporting player who currently plays at St Kilda (as a random example).

We've seen that depth pushes players to play better so they don't get dropped. Look at reeves at the start of this season. Absolute dogshit and rightfully got replaced by meek. Now that he finally has a chance again he's realised that he actually has to play well if he wants to earn his spot back, or he'll be replaced by meek and go back to playing vfl. Same goes for everyone else in the team. If they know the second they string a few bad games together they'll get replaced by someone who's hungrier for the spot, they will play better. This is why depth players like Ward are so important to our team. Look at north with no depth players and how complacent and entitled some of the players in the starting 22 have become. Guaranteed to have a spot every week so they have no reason to play with any heart and are just happy to play bruise free football and collect their paychecks.

Would we even need to though?

Saints are going nowhere fast. Weā€™re on the up with the second youngest list in the comp.

As Lloydy said, thereā€™s an opportunity to join a club that is soon going to open up their premiership window that could last 5-6 yearsā€¦ we wonā€™t need to offer the world.

I assume Battle doesn't want to live in Sydney as I would have thought they'd be all over him. And they can probably offer the same if not more than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've seen that depth pushes players to play better so they don't get dropped. Look at reeves at the start of this season. Absolute dogshit and rightfully got replaced by meek. Now that he finally has a chance again he's realised that he actually has to play well if he wants to earn his spot back, or he'll be replaced by meek and go back to playing vfl. Same goes for everyone else in the team. If they know the second they string a few bad games together they'll get replaced by someone who's hungrier for the spot, they will play better. This is why depth players like Ward are so important to our team. Look at north with no depth players and how complacent and entitled some of the players in the starting 22 have become. Guaranteed to have a spot every week so they have no reason to play with any heart and are just happy to play bruise free football and collect their paychecks.
I get your point about the depth keeping the 22 honest. But I think you're misrepresenting the Noodle situation. He wouldn't have had any thought that he didn't have to play well to keep his spot. A key ruck rule was changed in the off season that impacted the way he and similar types (like Tim English) contest the ruck. He's worked on it at VFL and dealt with his fair share of injury (concussion and broken hand) along the way.

I agree in general but in complete fairness, we've picked off other clubs developing youth. It's just the way of the sport. Clubs need to make a mandatory number of changes and player movement is one way to satisfy those changes.

When you say mandatory changes do you mean the 3 senior list spots a club has to open up to use in the drafts?

C'mon, who is making him out to be a whipping boy?

The overreactions to legitimate discussion points on here never ceases to amaze me.
These conversations have been going on all season- just let the kid develop- the talk is about trading him so yeah I reckon thatā€™s whipping boy territory!!

These conversations have been going on all season- just let the kid develop- the talk is about trading him so yeah I reckon thatā€™s whipping boy territory!!

These are valid conversations regarding our depth and what it means for fringe players.

No one is saying, "don't let Ward develop, we must trade him"

He's not getting blamed for losses or poor performances, he ain't a whipping boy.

Last edited:
These are valid conversations regarding out depth and what it means for fringe players.

No one is saying, "don't let Ward develop, we must trade him"

He's not getting blamed for losses or poor performances, he ain't a whipping boy.
Not really, wanting to trade Ward in his 3rd season before heā€™s had a chance to develop is crazy - not valid

I think the point of the Ward conversation is that soon and aligned to the clubs strategy, we will need to start list rebalancing. That means some tough calls will need to be made losing players we rate to get players we have a greater need for. Itā€™s better to be in control of that as much as possible than to have players look to leave that you want to keep. the list management team will be having these conversations without the emotion as they would be negligent if not.

I think it was the end of 2010, where we did a list cull. Some of the names that we got rid of, at the time was surprising, but in hindsight was much needed. We are probably not at that stage yet, in 2-3 years time it could get quite aggressiveā€¦

I think a good offseason would be battle and smith. I think that pretty much sets our team up for finals, with the assumption that lewis can put in a full 2025 season.

Ward is a keep for me, hustwaite i wouldnt be mad if we used him in a trade for smith or we kept him.

Calsher and mccabe will be solid developments for kpp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back