Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This trade period is all about Bailey Smith

Our midfield is all a bit the same, Newcombe, Worpel, Nash. Only Day gives some difference, and Frenchie has the spark to drive us forward.

But Bailey Smith is the fuel to get us to the next step

You'd think Morrison and Serong would be looking for more opportunity elsewhere.

Harry to North probably, not too sure where Jai could get a better shot (contracted to 2025)?

I wonder if WCE or Richmond would be keen to take Jai.

He's in the limbo of not-quite-AFL-but-too-good-for-VFL so a run of games at a new club would be perfect.

If we get Smith - and Weddle goes to a wing as well..............(don't shoot Bambi here) - Could CJ be better served elsewhere?

He'd have no shortage of offers you'd think.

I just don't see if we have Smith and Weddle on the wings, and Worps, Nash, Day, Newc, McKenzie in the middle, with Moore, Ginni, and McDonald pushing for minutes too - is CJ still best 22?

If Ward or Hustwaite can't get back into the side this season - they may well be 'gettable' too - but only one you'd think.

I think Morrison, Serong, and Butler may well have to look for new homes for next season if they want to play at AFL level

CJ and Ward will get offers I reckon - guaranteed game time will not be easy to find at Hawthorn next season.

Stephens & DGB are gonski.

4 definite outs for me - Morrison, DGB, Butler and Stephens.

Gettable (either by their choice or Hawthorn happy to trade) - CJ, Ward, Husthwaite

Young blokes want to play every week - be fascinating to see what happens.

Smith changes everything.

His ceiling is in the sky and even if he struggles to get back to his absolute peak, showing that hawthorn are a desirable destination for one of the most marketable players in the league is huge for future years and future signings.

Mtchell has done an incredible job cultivating an environment where the players seem to be having FUN.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

You'd think Morrison and Serong would be looking for more opportunity elsewhere.

Harry to North probably, not too sure where Jai could get a better shot (contracted to 2025)?

He's in the limbo of not-quite-AFL-but-too-good-for-VFL so a run of games at a new club would be perfect.

If we get Smith - and Weddle goes to a wing as well..............(don't shoot Bambi here) - Could CJ be better served elsewhere?

I just don't see if we have Smith and Weddle on the wings, and Worps, Nash, Day, Newc, McKenzie in the middle, with Moore, Ginni, and McDonald pushing for minutes too - is CJ still best 22?

If Ward or Hustwaite can't get back into the side this season - they may well be 'gettable' too - but only one you'd think.

I think Morrison, Serong, and Butler may well have to look for new homes for next season if they want to play at AFL level

CJ and Ward will get offers I reckon - guaranteed game time will not be easy to find at Hawthorn next season.

Gettable (either by their choice or Hawthorn happy to trade) - CJ, Ward, Husthwaite

Butler is contracted and I'd be stunned if a side wanted to trade for him coming off that injury. 99% sure he'll be in brown and gold next season.

Butler is contracted and I'd be stunned if a side wanted to trade for him coming off that injury. 99% sure he'll be in brown and gold next season.
I always think clubs owe players a debt after they suffer a horrific contact injury like Butler got.

If it's someone who can't play due to constant soft tissue injuries that's not really on the club but what Butler suffered was the very definition of a workplace injury and I feel the club owes him at least another 1 year contract in return.

Can't see us moving Butler on when he is recovering from such a terrible injury.

Strangely I think maybe the injury has bought him another year on the list, as he seemed like a potential delisting/trade candidate based on his performances.

Can't see us moving Butler on when he is recovering from such a terrible injury.

Strangely I think maybe the injury has bought him another year on the list, as he seemed like a potential delisting/trade candidate based on his performances.
Delist with a promise to redrafting/rookie listing him would make sense if we are struggling to make the necessary (outgoing) list changes.

Sydney are by far the best club in it at the moment with two talls of McDonald and Amartey. Don't get me wrong they're both good players but they're averaging less than 2 goals a game each, depending on where we'd finish I'd much rather use those picks on Baz.
True but that’s an indictment on the comp as much as anything I reckon. I know we will go down in history but imagine the 3 peat team in the comp this year.
We’d be undefeated premiers.

I doubt we’d be wanting to move on to many senior players.

Jaith has a place in defence / Wing.

I thought Smtih wanted to be in the middle not on a wing, part of his trade conditions.

Morrison looking to move on would make sense as he is a UFA.

True but that’s an indictment on the comp as much as anything I reckon. I know we will go down in history but imagine the 3 peat team in the comp this year.
Yeah I think there's a point where quality of sides peaked and it was at some stage in that 2007 - 2015 area. Any earlier than that and game plans were still very basic and fitness was too variable between players, any later and the teams were too diluted by the northern expansion clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you offer our first and future first for Max King from the saints if he wanted out?

Talents being wasted by Ross's slow ball movement.
Dear has shown more natural game nous and defensive intent in 4 matches then King has in his career so far .

They have average KPF's, but they have the most damaging midfield unit in the league and a rock solid defence. Warner and Heeney have kicked a combined 36 goals so far.

Last edited:
I doubt we’d be wanting to move on to many senior players.

Jaith has a place in defence / Wing.

I thought Smtih wanted to be in the middle not on a wing, part of his trade conditions.

Morrison looking to move on would make sense as he is a UFA.

Call me greedy but I want to keep as much depth as possible, and add in more quality

Hypothetical could Mitch Lewis pull the pin of his career by the end of next year if we can't get him on the field....sometimes players can't get their body right for AFL footy??
He could really play pro golf if he wanted too??
Are we already planning for life after Mitch??

Hypothetical could Mitch Lewis pull the pin of his career by the end of next year if we can't get him on the field....sometimes players can't get their body right for AFL footy??
Mitch could not play pro golf

If he plays off scratch he is a gun ......but most pros would be 5-6 shots better than that ( happy to stand corrected )

Heard Sam Taylor's name mentioned again today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back