List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear from James Leake. Seems very genuine and well-spoken.

Training as a midfielder which is something we'll really need going forward. Looking forward to seeing him play, there was a lot of talk around him at draft time last year.

Good to hear from James Leake. Seems very genuine and well-spoken.

Training as a midfielder which is something we'll really need going forward. Looking forward to seeing him play, there was a lot of talk around him at draft time last year.
A well spoken good looking guy, I reckon we need to market him, he may appeal to the Female 15-30 demographic.

Super excited by Leake. If he's a genuine chance as a midfielder he will be a massive asset. At 6.2 he's another tall mid option for us. When he puts on some KGs having Tom Green, Callaghan and Leake in there would be imposing.

Anyone got any news on Rowston?
Some second year blues? He felt like a bit of a weapon last year.

Hey fellas. Just wondering if anyone has an update on the intentions of Perryman and particularly Cumming? I don’t think we are on Perryman’s radar but band 2 compo for Cumming might be mutually worthwhile?

Also for the draft watchers which of your NGAs are likely to land at the Giants other than the big fella Logan Smith?

Hey fellas. Just wondering if anyone has an update on the intentions of Perryman and particularly Cumming? I don’t think we are on Perryman’s radar but band 2 compo for Cumming might be mutually worthwhile?

Also for the draft watchers which of your NGAs are likely to land at the Giants other than the big fella Logan Smith?
Nothing heard on Pez or Cheese. Reckon Cheese wants to get some games under his belt to press his case for $$. We all think Pez has a hard decision regarding $$$ vs loyalty.

In regards the GWS Academy boys, our resident draftwatcher recently made these comments in this thread:

It's not a 2015 level crop but I don't mind how we're looking with it all at the moment, think we'll take Smith given Preuss is clearly on the way out body wise, so we're not going to risk having too many on the list, and Smith would be a bit of a different ruck prospect than we've traditionally gone with

I do like Joey but not sure how he fits in to the list profile given our investment in Jones, Bedford, Thomas, etc. as of late, but if the long term view of him was as a defender or primarily a midfielder rather than a F/M rotation then I'd happily take him on.

Bell's the one I need to spend more time on, traits wise the combination of his competitiveness, physicality, aerial game and athleticism is very tantalising but his skill execution doesn't excite me, if that were to improve or he got more involved offensively it'd sway me from 'rookie' to 'take him in the ND'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STAR GIANT TO PLAY OUT THE YEAR

FINN Callaghan is expected to play out the year before sitting down with Greater Western Sydney officials to hash out his next contract.

The Giants have been proactive in tying down their most important players a full season before they're due to come out of contract, recently extending both Lachie Ash (until 2027) and Sam Taylor (2032) despite both having deals for next year.

Callaghan is another 2025 contract priority for Adam Kingsley's side, with the former top-three pick already establishing himself as one of the competition's brightest young prospects.

However, speaking on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable last week, Callaghan's agent Tom Seccull from Hemisphere Management Group said the 21-year-old likely wouldn't open talks on his own next deal until the end of the campaign at the earliest.

"Finn is a special talent," Seccull said.

"He's got a really good mix. He's got some good highlights, but he's also had his fluctuations with form as well. He's had the foot injury that he's carried through his first three years and I think he's only really now getting to potentially close to 90 or 100 per cent. Pretty much, the start of his career, he's been rolling around at 75 or 80 per cent of fitness. He's working through that.

"It's a timing thing. Each player is different with the timing of what they want to do. Some of them can happen really quickly and everyone is on the same page, then others can take a bit more time. I think Finn is one where he'll just play out the year.

"We've been in constant chats with [Giants list manager] Jason McCartney around how he's going, but he loves it up there. What they've built with their young players, you've probably heard from others, but it's really special there. They're a really tight group. He loves it up there. He loves the lifestyle and everything.

"Again, it's a timing thing. We'll most likely sit down with the club at the end of the year." – Riley Beveridge

NEW POINTS SYSTEM TO BE TESTED

CLUBS are expecting to road test the new draft value index in coming weeks after the AFL's day of consulting with list and football bosses on Tuesday.

The AFL is currently working through the finer elements of its new draft value index, which will likely see new points values attached to the first 54 selections of the draft, down from 73 in the current system.

The index has been untouched in points value since its introduction in 2015 but is set to be more condensed and top-heavy in its new iteration, with early picks having a better value and later picks having less.

It is all part of the AFL's plan to make clubs pay a fairer price for father-son and Academy players in the new bidding system, which remains unclear if it will be introduced at all this year or there will be a transitional period until it fully is introduced in 2025.

The League hopes the scenario-based testing of the new points system in coming weeks will be able to work through any chinks before it comes in. – Callum Twomey

Last edited:
I think Finna will stay, he strikes me as very loyal and invested in the club. He’s developing very nicely as well. These are the guys you build clubs around.
It all sounds very positive

A view on who we should be trying to get this trade period, with some already being mentioned in this thread. I would be happy if we re-signed those we have, and get a good ruck backup.

The Giants don't manage to lure too many players to Sydney's west from rival AFLclubs, but they have managed to get the best out of some bargain buys over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back