• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But it's not about wooden spoons etc. No doubt that's not in our repertoire.
We win finals at the SCG, no problem, but the next step away from home, in front of a hostile crowd, needs to be addressed& those who are in charge of the player's minds have consistently failed.
So thing can't & shouldn't stay the same. Some times you need split certain players from each other in order to send a different signal to the rest of the group.
Just playing in a GF doesn't inspire this group to be at their hardest & best any more & they've all had multiple goes at it.

We know Logan isn't as hard as Ted Richards was to do his role with an ankle injury. That's a black mark for him.
We know the showboating in front of the Sydney crowd doesn't transfer across to a big game on GF day at the G from the likes of Papley & Warner.

We know that the negating players on our list fail to negate their opponents to any level required in order to allow the more attacking players to do their thing.

We know we have some big tall guys who can't take a contested mark anywhere on the ground on GF day at the G.

But we also know that a person like Horse is also too sensitive to this group of players in order to take the brutal action needed.

I say all this on the Draft & Trading thread because it is perhaps the message that we must send to our list.
Confront the 1 or 2 players consistently guilty of the above in multiple GFs & tell them the brutal truth.
hey Logan, I know we signed you up but we need to address some needs that will take us to the next step.
We are going to see if we can get value from trading you to another club.

Hey Will.........................you too.

Hey Joel or Hayden, there's one spot in the team up for grabs between you two & Ladhams. Fight over it.
3 won't go into one.................but two back ups in the reserves are handy.

Hey Matt Owies? Do you want to play finals? Welcome!

Just F K N do something Horse & co.

The common denominator in all this is you Horse. You have one year to be brutal with the list & win yourself a GF.
One year.
As a long time supporter, I don't want nice guys anymore.
Strip Mills of the Captaincy like Clarko did at Hawks with Mitchell to Hodge & give it to Heeney.
Well said Ted, even if I don't agree with everything.

FWIW the Horse you want him to be I've heard does exist. Just only with certain players. Others, who maybe need it the most, are exempt from such treatment.

And that is probably part of the problem.

FWIW the Horse you want him to be I've heard does exist. Just only with certain players. Others, who maybe need it the most, are exempt from such treatment.

If that "certain players" is true it's a big problem. Corrosive.

Noah Balta just signed at Tigers until 2032

Sometimes I think the Academy picks actually cover some pretty substandard drafting to be honest
Sometimes I think our drafting is used as a scapegoat for our player development and ignores injuries. Except when I disagree with the type of player taken of course, then Kinnear is clueless.

If that "certain players" is true it's a big problem. Corrosive.
But it is conjecture on here and not "certain". If it was certain it would be obvious. If it was obvious it would be corrected.

I have a different theory. I think our players believed they only needed to turn up. They believed everyone else would do the hard yards. They just had to support them. So no one turned up with the correct mindset to crack in. Win the ball. Tackle hard. Mark your man. That shit did not exist from the first bounce. It was everyone else's problem or fault.

Getting players in the right mindset. The go out and give all you have got mentality. That was what was missing.
The players thought it is a team game and everyone else will do the job. I just have to support them. There was no ownership of anything. No ownership of who had who. No talking to each other as to who had who. It was expected that it would just happen. They did not make it happen.

Defense comes first. Winning the ball is what the game is all about. But that was everyone else's problem.

It is the starting mindset of every player is what was the problem. IMO.

Here is the latest ESPN draft rankings (October):
On Finn, Surely you can't go top 8 in this draft averaging 11.5 touches as a mid in the championship?
If you can't get it against the best kids, you are NF chance in the AFL.
Stylish player....pick around 12.

Doesn't look any better than the kid who sent to the Saints last year around there, and this is supposed to be a superior draft.

There is no evidence of this. People want a reason for failure. Something or someone to pin blame on. Longmire is the easiest target and probably rightfully so as he is the head coach. He is accountable but there is no evidence to suggest that he is unfair to players and that has created corrosiveness and is a reason for a GF loss. No way we are beating GWS after being 28 points down in the qualifying final or winning a Prelim so dominantly if this were true. The corrosive favouritism doesn’t just show up in the next week.

But it is conjecture on here and not "certain". If it was certain it would be obvious. If it was obvious it would be corrected.

I have a different theory. I think our players believed they only needed to turn up. They believed everyone else would do the hard yards. They just had to support them. So no one turned up with the correct mindset to crack in. Win the ball. Tackle hard. Mark your man. That shit did not exist from the first bounce. It was everyone else's problem or fault.

Getting players in the right mindset. The go out and give all you have got mentality. That was what was missing.
The players thought it is a team game and everyone else will do the job. I just have to support them. There was no ownership of anything. No ownership of who had who. No talking to each other as to who had who. It was expected that it would just happen. They did not make it happen.

Defense comes first. Winning the ball is what the game is all about. But that was everyone else's problem.

I think it's much simpler, our players got lazy. They have been all season, the slow starts have been consistent.

Once we dropped off in the second quarter we stopped trying because we believed we didn't need to. We knew as a team we would come back after that quarter was over because we have all season. But we could allow the game to get away from us because we have all year and we always got back

First we ARE interested in Stringer. Then we're not. Then we are again. Sound like someone with a Vacillation Complex.

Wow nobody knew we were interested in Garcia, not even Garcia

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you see Hogan's speech at the GWS presentation night.
It's happening just like that now with Stringer's agent. Might even be the same guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no evidence of this. People want a reason for failure. Something or someone to pin blame on. Longmire is the easiest target and probably rightfully so as he is the head coach. He is accountable but there is no evidence to suggest that he is unfair to players and that has created corrosiveness and is a reason for a GF loss. No way we are beating GWS after being 28 points down in the qualifying final or winning a Prelim so dominantly if this were true. The corrosive favouritism doesn’t just show up in the next week.
Corrosive favouritism, or any issue at a club really, shows up the most when being challenged most I'd have thought.

Re evidence, it is just what I have heard from sources I consider to be reliable. You don't have to believe them, but I do.

........................and lose 4 Grand Finals!

This from Jude who know's what is required in big games.
If it's OK with everyone, I'll listen to what he has to say anytime.

"Since their 2012 premiership triumph, the Swans — under coach John Longmire — have now lost four-straight grand finals by an average margin of 57 points.
Sydney 325-game premiership player Jude Bolton was none too pleased with his former club’s efforts on the game’s biggest day, criticising their lack of intensity around the ball in comparison to the hungry Lions.
“Just 33 tackles from the Swans (to three-quarter-time),” Bolton said, taking to X to voice his frustrations.
Embarrassing to let it become such an uncontested game and not have any control of the footy.
Belted at stoppages. Terrific performance from the Lions.”

Wow! He just lost my respect...

But surely this is the wrong thread for this shit?

Certainly looked that way.

I agree the starting mindset was the problem.

But my view: it wasn't lack of effort, or desire. It was a deep, unsettling feeling among the playing group that they'd choked in grand finals before - which manifested as a profound lack of confidence.

That and Horse's stupid zone defence.

But in any event, I feel we need a bit of churn in our playing group. A successful premiership player from another club might help. One who we don't turn into a bog-average VFL forward. Or one who has a premiership medal, but actually played in the winning GF team.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back