• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What is a new Melican contract worth? 5 years, @$850k?
Guy has been superb this year, reaching the highs of his pre injury year a couple of years back.

What's he on atm, half that for this year and next with the trigger? Pay him what he's worth to keep him here LT I say.
Someone will be in his ear leading to a trade demand if we don't. And you'd hate to lose a premiership KPD especially with our lack of depth.

What is a new Melican contract worth? 5 years, @$850k?
Guy has been superb this year, reaching the highs of his pre injury year a couple of years back.

What's he on atm, half that for this year and next with the trigger? Pay him what he's worth to keep him here LT I say.
Someone will be in his ear leading to a trade demand if we don't. And you'd hate to lose a premiership KPD especially with our lack of depth.

Why would he demand a trade? He's just made his way back into the side and is now in contention to be a Premiership player. Club stuck with him through his injuries, I'd say everything's as it should be at the moment.

Why would he demand a trade? He's just made his way back into the side and is now in contention to be a Premiership player. Club stuck with him through his injuries, I'd say everything's as it should be at the moment.
5 years x $850k = $4,250,000 of guaranteed money is why.

And I'd not blame him one bit. It's his chance to secure his future given it would be the last big contract of his career and there is risk of going into next year without LT contract. His manager surely would be pushing for a contract or trade this offseason.
I want to keep him. I would expect offers to come this off season. Naive to think they won't. We should pay him to keep them away IMO.

If I were Norf I'd offer that contract. Use pick 2 and 22 to get 9 and 10 from Freo with whatever makeweights are needed. Send one to us for Melican and one to Port for Houston. They'll make finals.

And I'd not blame him one bit. It's his chance to secure his future given it would be the last big contract of his career and there is risk of going into next year without LT contract. His manager surely would be pushing for a contract or trade this offseason.
I want to keep him. I would expect offers to come this off season. Naive to think they won't. We should pay him to keep them away IMO.

If I were Norf I'd offer that contract. Use pick 2 and 22 to get 9 and 10 from Freo with whatever makeweights are needed. Send one to us for Melican and one to Port for Houston. They'll make finals.

I mean, I'm sure he'll be pushing to sign a better deal with us next year but not sure his manager would be pushing for a trade this year. He's only just broken back in.

He is contracted for next season which was extended only back in May this year. So his manager can push for a trade we don't have to accept regardless of what trade is offered. No club is offering him 5 years at $850k at his age or with his injury history.

He is contracted for next season which was extended only back in May this year. So his manager can push for a trade we don't have to accept regardless of what trade is offered. No club is offering him 5 years at $850k at his age or with his injury history.
No we don't have to accept. Yet it's very rare for a club to want to keep a player that publicly states in the media he wants out.IDK what he's on now obviously 450-500k? Maybe I'm well off to the upside or the down...no idea.
All I'm saying is pay the guy. Extend his contract. He deserves it. He's no Jake Stringer.
A KPD of his quality got to be worth 750 to us with the new money, If not 5 then 4.

And if he did actually want to go to Victoria for personal reasons we get a deal in place this offseason that provides us with a nice trade value at the end of next year with a nod to he and his agent.

So is anyone saying that potential trade value isn't worth paying an extra $300k for?
Or that he's not basically essential to us atm?
Or that he's undeserving?

It's no to all of the above. Sign him up. Show him the money.

Last edited:
No we don't have to accept. Yet it's very rare for a club to want to keep a player that publicly states in the media he wants out.IDK what he's on now obviously 450-500k? Maybe I'm well off to the upside or the down...
All I'm saying is pay the guy. Extend his contract. He deserves it. He's no Jake Stringer.

Why do you think he wants out?

Why do you think he wants out?
I don't particularly.
I think it will be odd, and somewhat of an indication if we have not extended him by the beginning of next year though.

I think it's foolish for player managers to take negotiations in such a violent sport well into the last season of a player's contract. They should get them signed to longer deals a season in advance wherever possible. If I were his manager I would make that a priority given his age and importance to the team if he wants to stay. If he didn't want to stay past next year, I would pull out all stops to get him traded this year and a LT contract secured.

Just my two cents on a Sunday night.

St Scum went hard trust me

Both have entered the twilight zone of their careers. Parker will take up the dollars offered at North. Adams will increasingly become a top up depth player at the Swans. Inside mids do the heavy lifting. Kennedy would be worth a phone call to his manager.
We need to leave space for Cleary and Sheldrick to grow into imo, who both potentially have more upside at this point. I don't think that Kennedy's a bad player, he clearly has a place at the top level, but I don't think that he's got a huge amount of value for us given where our list is currently at. I think somebody else will want him more than us and offer more dollars and playing time.

Hamish Davis won the BoG medal in Claremont’s WAFL colts GF win today.

Here’s hoping someone from the club was watching.

Quick stats look, racked up 30 disposals, 3 marks, 7 I50s with 2 behinds

Bo Allen in seniors with 11 disposals and a behind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to leave space for Cleary and Sheldrick to grow into imo, who both potentially have more upside at this point. I don't think that Kennedy's a bad player, he clearly has a place at the top level, but I don't think that he's got a huge amount of value for us given where our list is currently at. I think somebody else will want him more than us and offer more dollars and playing time.
Yes, Sheldrick and Cleary have both staked their claims in the queue to be regarded as top 22. Kennedy would probably be an expensive competitor to their claims. Great insurance if we can afford it.....but the cost may be too great if any of our younger brigade actively seek opportunities elsewhere because of better players being chosen ahead of them....just as Kennedy will be doing. Exactly how we secured another Kennedy and he turned out alright.

Yes, Sheldrick and Cleary have both staked their claims in the queue to be regarded as top 22. Kennedy would probably be an expensive competitor to their claims. Great insurance if we can afford it.....but the cost may be too great if any of our younger brigade actively seek opportunities elsewhere because of better players being chosen ahead of them....just as Kennedy will be doing. Exactly how we secured another Kennedy and he turned out alright.
Our circumstances were different. Leave this one on the shelf and back our list.

Our circumstances were different. Leave this one on the shelf and back our list.
Just doesn't even make logical sense.
We had Parker and got Adams.
Heeney turned into a midfield beast

Parker is leaving
Parker 2.0 (Adams) cant get into the side
So we go and get Parker 3.0 (Kennedy) to play him where exactly? Cleary is alongside McKercher and Sanders as the best non vic midfield talent in the last draft

Just doesn't even make logical sense.
We had Parker and got Adams.
Heeney turned into a midfield beast

Parker is leaving
Parker 2.0 (Adams) cant get into the side
So we go and get Parker 3.0 (Kennedy) to play him where exactly? Cleary is alongside McKercher and Sanders as the best non vic midfield talent in the last draft

Only thing I will say though is will Horse feel Cleary is midfield ready next year? It took him how long to play Mills there? Is Kennedy more mid ready right now absolutely but frankly why would he come when he’s only going to be backup plenty of sides need genuine mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back