2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

On Smillie, Dylan Alexander made an exceptional video evaluating him as a player. The point that stood out to me was the ground balls argument - for a tall midfielder to make it at AFL level, they have to be able to win ground balls. It's what separates Bontempelli, Cripps, and Green from the likes of Nash and Setterfield. Apparently Smillie is 'elite' in this category in U18s

Alexander then goes on to directly compare Smillie to Tom Green and the similarities are very promising - including the fall in form for Champs

If this guy falls to our picks we should consider ourselves very lucky.

1. Lindsay
2. Lalor/Smilie
3. Hynes
I wouldn't be surprised if SOS and Ross are keen on Lindsay, but I feel like at pick 7 its slight reach territory. He's the best kick in the draft but maybe lacking a bit of pace and tricks which would prevent him from moving inside midfield. Also pretty small in stature too

I guess the question is can we see him developing into a Jack Sinclair/Dan Houston, or is he going to become a Dylan Stephens etc

If Smilie makes it to our picks and we pass. I'll spew.
Smilie/Lindsay will be huge wins.

I don't get all this talk that size doesn't translate well to AFL because his opponents are smaller. I think this is overstated. He has a better base, get him through an elite training system, will be a beast of mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back