2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm over drafting tall forwards every year.
We have King, Caminiti, Sharman, maybe still Membrey, then Keeler.
Meanwhile our backline is a bit shaky, and if Matt is a good defender and a competent forward, i think he's a good choice for us.
To be fair, we draft tall defenders most years as well. They just don't stay on the list for long enough for us to remember.

That metro v country game sold me on him. Before that I thought he was an upmarket Ben Paton. That's stepping up in the biggest match up of the champs. Travaglia too.
And every year ScrappyDo grows older, waiting for others to catch on..

waiting GIF

There’s no secret that I’m big on Reid.

I see his disposal being even better at the next level. He puts the ball where he wants the player to be to open up the play. They’re not dinky to no one, he’s literally putting it to the advantage of his teammate so that the opposition can’t win it, the best the can do is halve it.

There’s talk that he has a limited athletic profile. He doesn’t need elite speed, or a 190cm 92kg frame.
His agility and ability to move through traffic is phenomenal. You don’t need to be faster or stronger you just need to know where the ball will go before you opponent does and what to do when you get there. This kid has it, he has all of it.

If Sheezel can translate despite a lack of athletic profile, so can this kid.

Will be a star.

Here it is from the draft/trading forum :handpointdown:

"Heard that Carlton have guaranteed Xav Lindsay they'll take him if available at their pick but wouldn't be the first time a club has said that & not followed through. Saints & Swans went pretty hard grilling him in interviews."

Given Lindsay is one of the best kicks in the draft it sounds like a classic Dalrymple pick

If Carlton wants Houston then they won’t have pick 11.

They seem to want both.

My hunch is they won’t have the pick.

Jagga does the same type of kicks and most peoples wrists sound like cement makers after watching his games/Highlights.
To me, Jagga looks more of a butcher with the ball..gets it a lot, but not high impact. not a fan to be honest..

Jagga = short handballs, dinky kicks, ordinary kick
Reid = clean, attacking, excellent kick..

Last edited:
At least you guys got a few successful periods. We had '97 and the 2000s. I was a kid in the 80s so only knew heartbreak growing up. Ken Sheldon getting the arse was a heart breaker because it was the first time in my life that I thought we were on the right track.
I liked Kenny, good bloke, just not sure why he got the flick.

To me, Jagga looks more of a butcher with the ball..gets it a lot, but not high impact. not a fan to be honest..

Jagga = short handballs, dinky pinks, ordinary kick
Jagga seems like a busier type. By that I mean, he’s constantly on the move, zipping through the stoppage ala Butters

Seeing lindsay win the morish made me remember clarry in 2015 coming from nowhere.

Found a phantom guide from august 2015. https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/428699/2015-draft-phantom-form-guide

Interesting notes like Harley balic at 7 and matho at 10. Harry Mckay at 20 and Oliver not on there.

I think there's a lot of movement still to come and the best player could be that second rung of mids. Lindsay travaglia hotton could outperform the current top 10 picks.

I think 7 and 8 this year has a chance to get some really good players including if we reach for one that second tier mid or if we can split 8 for 2 first rounders. Either way seems like the kind of draft where dalrymple would do well with the picks we have.
Funny you should post that. I was thinking about 7 and 8 - god I’m sad - on my dog walk. I’m not a dog btw. It sadly reminded me of 10 long years ago when I was creating a top 10 list of that draft with a Lions and a Dogs supporters (who were both crap then too). We got Billings, Dogs got Bont, Lions transformed from there on.

I am too easily pepped up on hope.

A solid rather than spectacular performance from Murphy Reid was all that was needed for the Dragons to roll over the top of the Stingrays, recording a comfortable win and booking their place in another Talent League grand final. While not a dominant display, Murphy was as always a prime mover for Sandy at stoppage and heavily involved in their attacking wave run through the middle with his elite decision making and classy disposal a feature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no secret that I’m big on Reid.

I see his disposal being even better at the next level. He puts the ball where he wants the player to be to open up the play. They’re not dinky to no one, he’s literally putting it to the advantage of his teammate so that the opposition can’t win it, the best the can do is halve it.

There’s talk that he has a limited athletic profile. He doesn’t need elite speed, or a 190cm 92kg frame.
His agility and ability to move through traffic is phenomenal. You don’t need to be faster or stronger you just need to know where the ball will go before you opponent does and what to do when you get there. This kid has it, he has all of it.

If Sheezel can translate despite a lack of athletic profile, so can this kid.

Will be a star.

I love him, I think he has a bit of magic about him.

Jagga = short handballs, dinky kicks, ordinary kick

Jagga's not a pretty or good kick but not a butcher. He's low hurt per possession but he makes up for it with repeat efforts.

Reid makes the ball sing. He looks like he reads the play better than others and puts the ball into spots that that make teammates know where to go. He's got the read of the game and vision along side skills to execute it.

Jagga's not a pretty or good kick but not a butcher. He's low hurt per possession but he makes up for it with repeat efforts.

Reid makes the ball sing. He looks like he reads the play better than others and puts the ball into spots that that make teammates know where to go. He's got the read of the game and vision along side skills to execute it.
In a high pressure game, does Reid get left behind by more aggressive hunters of the ball? How does he deal with the brutal, physical side of footy? How does he handle situational high-stakes type pressure?

Given his elite kicking (left footer like Gulden) and that he has seemingly transitioned from back flanker (last year) to genuine in & out mid (this year) I wouldn't be surprised now if we pull trigger on him as one of our 1st round picks .... best afield as well in the U18 Champs Metro v Country game .... notes say he has burst from stoppage too ... a need
If this kid had a more mature body with say 5kgs extra we would be complaining that he wouldn’t get to our first pick. Plenty of players don’t have midfield frames in their draft year.

Gulden, Butters and Rozee would have all been seen as too light to play as a mid at afl level in their draft years. You don’t pick them for next year, you pick them for their 15 years.

My first impression of Jagga was that he always took easy options, looking to dish it off to guys running past or hit up easy but non-threatening targets, very low risk low reward football that was lacking in creativity. I think he's improved that a lot during the year and added a bit of run and carry to his game as well, he certainly looks a lot more damaging when I've seen him lately, and has the knack of always being in the right place at the right time.

It's a paradox but if I had pick #1 I would probably take Jagga because he has a very high floor, but at the same time I think Reid has the highest chance of ending up as the best player of the draft class. Really hope he's the one who slips through to us (and we pick him).

In a high pressure game, does Reid get left behind by more aggressive hunters of the ball? How does he deal with the brutal, physical side of footy? How does he handle situational high-stakes type pressure?

Who knows. I still don't think this draft has an absolutely incredible front end. Nearly every player apart from probably Ashcroft has a few question marks. There are ones that you'd prefer but I don't feel like any are absolute certain stars. I like the idea of having multiple picks because I think players right through this draft could end up stars but they are going to be a bit harder to find than most years because it's so even that you are distracted by the volume.

I'm calling it as a repeat of 2017 with a huge run of talent between about pick 15 and 30. A few bad misses will go before then IMO.

Thing I see in Reid is that creativity ... in most cases he always seems to choose the right option .... he has vision and quickness of mind and skills to hit targets consistently and open the game up ..... and he has some toughness about him .... tackles well and not afraid to get in the mix ... and can go forward and be effective

And his pace is fine .... not electric but it doesn't need to be

Just a very very smart footballer

My first impression of Jagga was that he always took easy options, looking to dish it off to guys running past or hit up easy but non-threatening targets, very low risk low reward football that was lacking in creativity. I think he's improved that a lot during the year and added a bit of run and carry to his game as well, he certainly looks a lot more damaging when I've seen him lately, and has the knack of always being in the right place at the right time.

It's a paradox but if I had pick #1 I would probably take Jagga because he has a very high floor, but at the same time I think Reid has the highest chance of ending up as the best player of the draft class. Really hope he's the one who slips through to us (and we pick him).

I would too probably. He's a ball hunter and will at least accumulate plenty of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back