Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also can be used for ammunition. Sydney picked a GWS academy kid with the pick before GWS last year. They contacted them and made a trade offer. “We’re bidding on the kid, but if you want to get another pick in first, you can do a trade with us (that runs in our favour).”

Or revenge….like us last year.

Brisbane didn’t pay up for Dunkley so we bid on Jaspa Fletcher (which was earlier than expected) as a nice little up yours to end the negotiations

Clubs draft history some interesting names

Rowan Nayna, Gavin Hughes, Chris Ogle, Henry White, John Shaw. We must be living in a simulation because I have no ****ing idea who these guys are.

I wanted Watson over sanders but think sanders is the mature selection with our aging midfield and our only decent young mid Baz smith one foot out the door. Also trading away our future first rounder when will our next chance be at adding another elite mid ?
Next year when we trade our 2025 first rounder (which would be eaten up by Jaxon Cooney bidding anyway) for a 2024 first rounder.

Rowan Nayna, Gavin Hughes, Chris Ogle, Henry White, John Shaw. We must be living in a simulation because I have no ****ing idea who these guys are.

Ogle is the son of golfer Brett. We drafted him as a rookie because Eade knew Brett, even though Ogles are from NSW. Think Chris played footy at school in Sydney and looked a likely prospect. Didn't work out, but worth a shot (could have been a JOD situation if it worked).

I remember the other names, but have forgotten specifics over the years.

Next year when we trade our 2025 first rounder (which would be eaten up by Jaxon Cooney bidding anyway) for a 2024 first rounder.
Everyone always talks about trading out of the draft if you’ve got a highly rated F/S but it usually goes the opposite way tbh in that you trade it down for points. You still need a first rounder equivalent in points to match a highly rated player

If curtin remains on the board for our pick and WCE come knocking what should we realistically ask for.

Personally it would take their future first plus more. Next years draft seems inferior and the uncertainty of where that pick may land.

If curtin remains on the board for our pick and WCE come knocking what should we realistically ask for.

Personally it would take their future first plus more. Next years draft seems inferior and the uncertainty of where that pick may land.
Would take a lot IMO considering we traded up. Would effectively be a first round upgrade next year for 10 & 17 which is a huge price to pay really, considering the uncertainty of where next years picks land.

I’d want something back pretty high this year but they don’t have anything

Would take a lot IMO considering we traded up. Would effectively be a first round upgrade next year for 10 & 17 which is a huge price to pay really, considering the uncertainty of where next years picks land.

We wouldn't do it. Determined to pick this year

A future first along with 23 and 37 would have to be the minimum, and I just can't see the Eagles stumping up anything close to that.
To be fair, I expect the Eagles' first rounder next year to again be pick 1. So if they did happen to put that on the table, it'd be hard to immediately dismiss it imo.

Depends who else was on the board.
If McKercher and Watson were gone I'd trade for a future first straight up at worst it'll be pick 3, likely pick 1. The midfielders at the top of the board next year are top shelf. Guys like O'Sullivan, Draper, Moraes and Smith.

Depends who else was on the board.
If McKercher and Watson were gone I'd trade for a future first straight up at worst it'll be pick 3, likely pick 1. The midfielders at the top of the board next year are top shelf. Guys like O'Sullivan, Draper, Moraes and Smith.

We will pick Sanders ahead of Watson anyway imo, and it’s impossible all 3 will be gone

A future first along with 23 and 37 would have to be the minimum, and I just can't see the Eagles stumping up anything close to that.
To be fair, I expect the Eagles' first rounder next year to again be pick 1. So if they did happen to put that on the table, it'd be hard to immediately dismiss it imo.
23&37 would largely be swallowed by Croft and leave us with a heap of useless later picks.

23&37 would largely be swallowed by Croft and leave us with a heap of useless later picks.

There seems to be less smokies getting through these days… never forget Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd, JJ, Liam Picken, Like Dahlhaus all played in a somewhat important winning game a few years back and were Rookies…

There are gems to be found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be less smokies getting through these days… never forget Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd, JJ, Liam Picken, Like Dahlhaus all played in a somewhat important winning game a few years back and were Rookies…

There are gems to be found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but we have 8 picks from 48 onwards, of which a few will be used to match Croft (and Lual if we are lucky).

If we traded in other picks which were absorbed by Croft, the bulk of the later picks would be unusable because we don't have the list spots.

Yeah, but we have 8 picks from 48 onwards, of which a few will be used to match Croft (and Lual if we are lucky).

If we traded in other picks which were absorbed by Croft, the bulk of the later picks would be unusable because we don't have the list spots.
Can use them to trade back up potentially. Besides, 23 and 37 are secondary to the probably pick 1 in 2024 in my scenario anyway.

Fox Footy article

8. RYLEY SANDERS

Position:
Midfielder

Size: 186cm

Clubs: Sandringham Dragons/North Launceston

AFL player comparison: Adam Treloar

The 2023 ball magnet, few players in this year’s pool showed metronomic consistency across all levels like Sanders did. The Tasmanian product, who boarded at Melbourne Grammar and playing for the Sandringham Dragons, barely played a bad game, thanks to his competitiveness, strong inside-outside balance and clean hands. He took out the prestigious Larke Medal for the best player of the national championships, averaging a whopping 36 disposals, 15 disposals, six inside 50s, six marks and five tackles for the Allies. A brilliant goal against WA — where he sharked a hit-out off WA’s Mitch Edwards, sprinted forward, took a bounce and nailed a kick from just inside the centre square — showcased his burst, power, class and composure in the one passage of play. He also averaged 31 disposals for the Dragons, racking up at least 25 touches in all of his nine games. North Melbourne pushed to have exclusive access to Sanders as part of its special assistance package, but that request was denied. He’s still a Kangaroos North Generation Academy prospect, but there’s little chance he’s still on the board come Pick 10 — let alone the Pick 40 bid threshold — on draft night. And despite the Kangaroos’ attachment to Sanders, it’s unlikely they’ll use a top-three pick on him. The Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, a few picks later, have shown strong interest in Sanders, while the Giants and Cats will be hopeful he slides.

Fox Footy article

8. RYLEY SANDERS

Position:
Midfielder

Size: 186cm

Clubs: Sandringham Dragons/North Launceston

AFL player comparison: Adam Treloar

The 2023 ball magnet, few players in this year’s pool showed metronomic consistency across all levels like Sanders did. The Tasmanian product, who boarded at Melbourne Grammar and playing for the Sandringham Dragons, barely played a bad game, thanks to his competitiveness, strong inside-outside balance and clean hands. He took out the prestigious Larke Medal for the best player of the national championships, averaging a whopping 36 disposals, 15 disposals, six inside 50s, six marks and five tackles for the Allies. A brilliant goal against WA — where he sharked a hit-out off WA’s Mitch Edwards, sprinted forward, took a bounce and nailed a kick from just inside the centre square — showcased his burst, power, class and composure in the one passage of play. He also averaged 31 disposals for the Dragons, racking up at least 25 touches in all of his nine games. North Melbourne pushed to have exclusive access to Sanders as part of its special assistance package, but that request was denied. He’s still a Kangaroos North Generation Academy prospect, but there’s little chance he’s still on the board come Pick 10 — let alone the Pick 40 bid threshold — on draft night. And despite the Kangaroos’ attachment to Sanders, it’s unlikely they’ll use a top-three pick on him. The Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, a few picks later, have shown strong interest in Sanders, while the Giants and Cats will be hopeful he slides.
First I've seen a Treloar comparison for him. Does he really have that kind of speed?

I think there could be some value in taking South Australians this year with the lack of draft picks available to the SA teams. I like the look of both Kane McAuliffe and Bodie Ryan if they slip at our late picks. Port are probably hoping to use 72 on one of these guys when

McAuliffe is hard and aggressive at the coal face and Ryan is a great overhead mark defender. Both are listed at 187 cm and other threads have these guys in mock drafts falling in the 50s and 60s, but as high as 40s for McAuliffe.

My gut feeling is they might be slightly higher if the SA teams had picks. McAuliffe would be of particular interest I would have thought if we go Watson over Sanders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Back