Game Day LIVE - AFL 2023 Draftwatch for the WB

Remove this Banner Ad

If we don’t nab another Cat B rookie makes our decision not to give Raak another year a bit baffling. Sure he might not have made it, but you never know and it’s a free swing otherwise…

We're probably only taking the one rookie today correct? Hopefully we look at maybe a cat B rookie as well since O'Donnell was a pretty smart pick up.

We have at least 2 spots with 9 delisted (main list and rookies) and 7 on so far. May leave one spot open for mid year or train on spot

Always love reading fans froth at the mouth when their club picks up a so called 'slider', "can't believe they fell to us, what a bargain, we won the draft" type stuff.

Out of interest to I had a quick look back at previous drafts to get general consensus of who the 'sliders' were outside of the 1st round and how they performed. It's a fairly uninspiring list beyond the bolded (names in italic IMO borderline). Turns out recruiters aren't necessary all that clueless.

• 2015: Harley Balic, Riley Bonner, Darcy Tucker, Rhys Mathieson
  • 2016: Josh Battle, Brad Scheer, Patrick Kerr, Jack Graham
  • 2017: Charlie Constable, Sam Hayes, Nathan Murphy, Dylan Moore
  • 2018: Bobby Hill, Luke Valente, Jack Bytel, Curtis Taylor, Luke Foley
  • 2019: Deven Robertson, Trent Bianco, Jay Rantell, Jack Mahony, Cam Taheny
  • 2020: Jack Carroll, Eddie Ford, Luke Edwards

Last edited:

Always love reading fans froth at the mouth when their club picks up a so called 'slider', "can't believe they fell to us, what a bargain, we won the draft" type stuff.

Out of interest to I had a quick look back at previous drafts to get general consensus of who the 'sliders' were outside of the 1st round and how they performed. It's a fairly uninspiring list beyond the bolded (names in italic IMO borderline). Turns out recruiters aren't necessary all that clueless.

• 2019: Brodie Kemp, Deven Robertson, Trent Bianco, Jay Rantell, Jack Mahony, Cam Taheny
Ford looks a solid footballer too but yes magically the people who do it for a living no a lot more then us but will that stop us posting?

• 2019: Brodie Kemp, Deven Robertson, Trent Bianco, Jay Rantell, Jack Mahony, Cam Taheny
To be fair, I'd have Kemp in a heartbeat. Definitely deserves to be amongst the bolded.

The rest of non-bolded is extremely meh though.

To be fair, I'd have Kemp in a heartbeat. Definitely deserves to be amongst the bolded.

The rest of non-bolded is extremely meh though.
I actually meant to leave Kemp out given he was a first round pick. The exercise and point was more meant to be about later picks (eg draft watchers think a player is worth a pick in the 20s, they go at pick 40 and everyone jumps up and down about the bargain score and they usually turn out a pick 40 player). Bobby Hill barely scrapes in also.

The whole bolter and slider thing is hilarious. Notice how Kevin Sheahan tends to steer clear of that kind of hyperbole while Ablett is frothing calling picks 'daylight robbery' and that kind of crap before any of the kids have actually played a game.

The whole bolter and slider thing is hilarious. Notice how Kevin Sheahan tends to steer clear of that kind of hyperbole while Ablett is frothing calling picks 'daylight robbery' and that kind of crap before any of the kids have actually played a game.
Also doesn't help when you see this type of rubbish from certain recruiters pumping up the supporters (in this instance, SOS himself passed on this kid at pick 50 yet supposedly ranked him in the 2nd round?!).

Also doesn't help when you see this type of rubbish from certain recruiters pumping up the supporters (in this instance, SOS himself passed on this kid at pick 50 yet supposedly ranked him in the 2nd round?!).

I'd have been happy enough for us to draft him at 55 (or 57 if we still had the pick two picks after that). He had a better season than quite a few players picked ahead of him and is a good size.

I know there's a bit too much we-got-a-slider hype but the record books show that 200 gamers do still go in the third and sometimes even the fourth round. We're just not very good at working out which ones they'll be. He'll be worth keeping an eye on.

I'd have been happy enough for us to draft him at 55 (or 57 if we still had the pick two picks after that). He had a better season than quite a few players picked ahead of him and is a good size.

I know there's a bit too much we-got-a-slider hype but the record books show that 200 gamers do still go in the third and sometimes even the fourth round. We're just not very good at working out which ones they'll be. He'll be worth keeping an eye on.
Of course there are numerous examples of players picked late who do go on to have great careers. I'm just not sure if that occurs at a greater rate for players labelled by media/fans as 'sliders' or 'bargains' immediately after the draft than others taken around the same point.

In Schoenmakers' case, clearly there were significant behavioral issues at play which 17 of 18 recruiters didn't look past as an important overall factor, yet those assessing the draft post mortem obviously do. Dayle Garlett was also said to be a top 10 talent in his draft.

Of course there are numerous examples of players picked late who do go on to have great careers. I'm just not sure if that occurs at a greater rate for players labelled by media/fans as 'sliders' or 'bargains' immediately after the draft than others taken around the same point.

In Schoenmakers' case, clearly there were significant behavioral issues at play which 17 of 18 recruiters didn't look past as an important overall factor, yet those assessing the draft post mortem obviously do. Dayle Garlett was also said to be a top 10 talent in his draft.

I’d be more concerned about the 1 contested possession in 2 games than the buying some booze for teammates, maybe that’s more why he slid? Any more outside and he wouldn’t know how a door works

I would have taken Schoenmakers if what was reported about him is true. Barely a risk.

That said we managed to turn someone who had never drank into a problem child who now has his own alcoholic drink on the market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have taken Schoenmakers if what was reported about him is true. Barely a risk.

That said we managed to turn someone who had never drank into a problem child who now has his own alcoholic drink on the market.

Reckon part of Baz avoiding alcohol as a junior was because it's high calorie. He was very much a chicken breast, green veg, egg whites type. His seltzer is pretty low calorie for an alcoholic drink so that moderates that particular issue.

I’d be more concerned about the 1 contested possession in 2 games than the buying some booze for teammates, maybe that’s more why he slid? Any more outside and he wouldn’t know how a door works

There is allegedly a lot more at play here than some alcohol. I'll leave it at that. There is plenty more elsewhere on BF/Reddit/socials.

I'm sure this has already been well covered, so apologies for the likely repetition, but we have three spots left, correct? McNeil, Duryea, and then either one more pick here / SSP / MSD?
Correct. We have 3 x Cat A + 1 x Cat B spots open.

Our list makeup is currently 36 x main list, 3 x Cat A rookies and 1 x Cat B rookie, assuming Scott has been upgraded following his 3rd rookie year. You can have up to 42 x main list + Cat A rookies combined (we have a total of 39 currently) plus up to 2 Cat B rookies.

Correct. We have 3 x Cat A + 1 x Cat B spots open.

Our list makeup is currently 36 x main list, 3 x Cat A rookies and 1 x Cat B rookie, assuming Scott has been upgraded following his 3rd rookie year. You can have up to 42 x main list + Cat A rookies combined (we have a total of 39 currently) plus up to 2 Cat B rookies.
Are you sure the Cat Bs are separate? I thought they were wrapped up in a total number of rookies allowed?

Are you sure the Cat Bs are separate? I thought they were wrapped up in a total number of rookies allowed?
Yep, they're separate.

Clubs (are) permitted to have a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players on their books.

Primary lists must have between 36 and 38 players. Category A rookies are capped at 4-6, up to a total of 42 players on a list including primary-listed players. Each club can also have two Category B rookies.

Yep, they're separate.

Clubs (are) permitted to have a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players on their books.

Primary lists must have between 36 and 38 players. Category A rookies are capped at 4-6, up to a total of 42 players on a list including primary-listed players. Each club can also have two Category B rookies.
Thanks, good to know. I suspect that extra spot is carried into the SSP at the very least, then.

There were a few things I never bought about Baz that came out when we drafted him. This being the main one.

With our recent additions it makes me wonder why we are keeping McNeil on.

Well stacked for HFFs.
Fair question. I don't see him having a huge upside but if we've promised him a spot (as I understand we have) then I'd rather we kept our word than go for another speculative late/rookie pick. Maintaining our credibility with the playing group is very important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back