List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hickey is terrible & inferior to Longer. Discuss.
giphy.gif

Saddest part is your absolutely right! The other two are battling to be best 22 imo.
And that's with a heap of injuries! We really do have a complete dearth of leadership at the club!
If Ross is supposed to be the next cab on the rack, then god help us all!
Funny before this season I was convinced that Newnes and Weller would have made not just good but great captains, but they proved otherwise this year. Not being able to get their own form together is one thing, but not sticking up for your teammates, demanding the best from your teammates and putting in average efforts at at time we were craving improvement, those things can never be part of a decent captain's make up.

In a few years, I reckon Coffield will be the man, until then who knows, but definitely NOT Ross.

Funny before this season I was convinced that Newnes and Weller would have made not just good but great captains, but they proved otherwise this year. Not being able to get their own form together is one thing, but not sticking up for your teammates, demanding the best from your teammates and putting in average efforts at at time we were craving improvement, those things can never be part of a decent captain's make up.

In a few years, I reckon Coffield will be the man, until then who knows, but definitely NOT Ross.
Why not Ross. Looks the obvious captain as early as next year

What are the odds that if we trade out Hickey to WCE that we sign Roughead?
Personally not a fan of this but seems like the sort of strange decision we would make? Think I remember earlier on that we were interested in him.

Would prefer to ruck with Pierce/Longer/ Marshall and bring in a young ruck or trade for a good one next year.
That or throw some cash at Preuss to motivate him to reconsider playing for Casey.

Why not Ross. Looks the obvious captain as early as next year
He is not by any stretch of the imagination captain's material and before you tell me he must be because he was chosen to be captain in Geary's absence, that is nothing more than an indictment on the coaches - but who would know them better than the coaches, right? Well from my perspective as a viewer and seeing his deeds on the field I make the personal judgement that he should not be captain at any stage.

He is not by any stretch of the imagination captain's material and before you tell me he must be because he was chosen to be captain in his absence that is nothing more than an indictment on the coaches - but who would know them better than the coaches, right? Well from my perspective as a viewer and seeing his deeds on the field I make the personal judgement that he should not be captain at any stage.

That’s fine. You see as much as me apart from when I go to games but how the hell do you come to that conclusion. What does he do wrong that would make you say that. I’m not a Ross fan by any stretch but he seems the obvious captain. Speaks well smart footballer. Seems loyal

Really hope Stuv takes it - i know he said he doesnt want to but on the field he does lead and hes's a legend!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is not by any stretch of the imagination captain's material and before you tell me he must be because he was chosen to be captain in Geary's absence, that is nothing more than an indictment on the coaches - but who would know them better than the coaches, right? Well from my perspective as a viewer and seeing his deeds on the field I make the personal judgement that he should not be captain at any stage.
Yeah Nah, I'll leave it to the players to decide...

Indeed! Nice bloke Tom from all reports, but an enforcer he aint!

Who was that Melbourne pleb that ran away from Lade when he completely he shit himself on field?
Remember laughing my t***ies off at the time!

I know he's probably running to get the ball, but this is still funny as hell.

076ln8.gif

What are the odds that if we trade out Hickey to WCE that we sign Roughead?
Personally not a fan of this but seems like the sort of strange decision we would make? Think I remember earlier on that we were interested in him.

Would prefer to ruck with Pierce/Longer/ Marshall and bring in a young ruck or trade for a good one next year.
That or throw some cash at Preuss to motivate him to reconsider playing for Casey.

apparently WCE went massively cold on him because of the stats and the detail in his game. apparently he aint no number 1 ruck.

The media are saying Hickey is gone

WITH Nic Naitanui set to miss most of 2019 with second knee injury in three years, the West Coast Eagles are looking to bring St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey west.

The 27-year-old ruckman will be a big boost to the side who’s engine room has taken a hit with Scott Lycett set to move to Port Adelaide and Andrew Gaff expected to sign with North Melbourne, a deal which is thought to be as good as gone by senior Eagles players, according to Foxfooty.com.au’s Tom Morris.

Hickey is a contracted player at the Saints and West Coast would be looking a second-round draft pick to bring the big ruckman to the Eagles.

Morris said Hickey is the Eagles number one priority with free agent Western Bulldogs premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead their second option.

“At the moment West Coast have Picks 21 and 37 in the national draft. This is without any Tom Lynch compensation. Tom Hickey would come for that draft pick,” Morris said.

“Jordan Roughead’s a free agent so he can go for free. That’s what West Coast have to weigh up — my understanding is Hickey is their No. 1 priority, Roughead is their No. 2 priority.

“The Hickey deal is really important for this (the Hannebery deal) because if Hickey goes to West Coast, it’s likely St Kilda will get that No. 37 pick back in return.

“St Kilda have absolutely no picks between their first pick and about Pick 58 at the moment. So they have to use that Hickey pick to get Hannebery along and maybe a future second round pick as well.

“That’s why they don’t really mind if they lose him.”

404e896627b2fabc75d7eda40bafa691

Tom Hickey’s performances against the Eagles have put him in line for a trade.Source:News Corp Australia

Ads by Kiosked
Speaking on The Trade Lowdown, Saints great Leigh Montagna said it’s how Hickey plays against the Eagles that make him the more attractive prospect.

“I think West Coast are pretty keen on Tom Hickey,” Montagna said.

“I think he’s put in some good performances against the Eagles in the past. They like his athleticism on the big ground over in Perth.

“So I think they’re pretty keen on him but they are going to have to give up a draft pick for Tom Hickey.”

STRUGGLING CARLTON BREAKS 154-YEAR HISTORY

CARLTON will have joint AFL captains for the first time in their 154-year history, appointing Patrick Cripps and Sam Docherty to the role.

Current captain Marc Murphy handed over to the pair on Friday night at the club’s best and fairest awards function.

Cripps, 23, earned All-Australian honours for the first time this season and was fourth in the Brownlow Medal count, despite the Blues finishing bottom. Docherty, 25, missed all this season because of knee reconstruction after making last year’s All-Australian team.

“Clearly the joint captaincy is a new direction for the club, but both Crippa and I have sat down and had really honest chats about how we’re going to take this group forward together,” Docherty said.

“Despite our various differences in personality and approaches to leadership, we complement each other well and the main thing for us is our common goal to take this club back to sustained success.”.

Cripps is one of the league’s top on-ballers and Docherty is a crucial member of Carlton’s defence.

“This honour is incredibly special,” Cripps said.

“When I was standing in for Murph earlier this year as captain, he was fantastic in that he reminded me to just stay true to yourself.

cd116cec65654e21c933012501149ea4

Changing of the guard.Source:Supplied

Ads by Kiosked
“He’s been such a mentor for us and been great with advice.

“Next year, he will continue to have a strong leadership presence within the group and he will be someone both ‘Doc’ and I continue to use as a mentor and confidant.” Murphy, Carlton’s captain for the last six years, said Cripps and Docherty were natural selections to take over as skippers.

Coach Brendon Bolton added it was a unanimous choice.

“We felt it right to make the dual appointment,” Bolton said. “It’s a new direction we’re heading in with the structure, but one I believe will strongly benefit our young playing group in years to come.”

YEO HANDED EAGLES HONOUR

Elliot Yeo has capped off an outstanding AFL season by taking out West Coast’s best and fairest award.

Yeo polled 273 votes across his 25 games to beat Jack Redden (231) and Shannon Hurn (222) for the John Worsfold medal on Friday night.

Jamie Cripps finished fourth after producing a career-best season, while Andrew Gaff rounded out the top five despite missing the last six games of the season through suspension.

Yeo averaged a career-best 24.6 disposals and 4.3 clearances this season after being moved into the midfield to help fill the void left by Sam Mitchell and Matt Priddis.

West Coast beat Collingwood by five points in a thrilling grand final, and Eagles coach Adam Simpson was proud of the way his team dealt with adversity this year.

Nic Naitanui (knee), Brad Sheppard (hamstring), Eric Mackenzie (toe), and Gaff (suspension) all missed out on the premiership.

Off the field, West Coast had to deal with incidents involving goalsneak Liam Ryan and Eagles integrity officer Peter Staples.

The player group remained united through it all, and Simpson sung their praises during his speech to the crowd on Friday night.

“I was talking to some of our coaches the other day about what you need to do to win a premiership,” Simpson said.

“Someone told me that you’ve got to get everything right on and off the field. And it’s fair to say not much went right for us on and off the field this year. “It started with that JLT 2 game (against Fremantle) where I think only three players turned up for that one. We lost by 10 goals.

“Stapes (Peter Staples) beat up a cameraman during the year. Thanks for that — I really appreciated that on the Monday.

“And then losing Gaff, Shep, Nic, and Eric Mackenzie … so I’m looking back on all those things that went wrong.

“What I realised by the end of it all is it’s not about getting everything right on and off the field. It’s about people, and we’ve got bloody good people at this football club.” West Coast players were devastated after the 2015 grand final lossto Hawthorn, but they made amends in the 2018 decider against Collingwood. Simpson felt the group had grown immensely during his five years in charge. “It’s been building. This is not a surprise for us,” Simpson said. “We honestly believe there’s no fairytales in footy. I spoke to the players to say it’s not about destiny, and you’ve got to create your own luck. “I really think we won the granny with good people and great spirits.”

with AAP

v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back