Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

From where I was sitting he didn't win a single contest or even get a solitary touch.

O%....100%

Tomaitoes/Tomatoes

Both ended up playing 20 games, with Burton coming out on top consistently on a statistical basis across the season.....You're welcome.

McGrath has performed consistently great in a finals team and become a rock in helping the team make finals.

Burton has been a standout in a run of the mill team with only 1 AA squad nominee.

Fair enough. Makes me wonder if Harry Morrison might be an outside chance of a final round nomination in his first game. 21 touches, 8 score involvements,2 goal assists, 3 inside 50s, 6 marks. Nowhere near as efficient as McGrath though, but pretty impressive stats for a player in his first game with only 67% time-on-ground.
I think Ryan Clarke will get it this week.
There was even an AFL article about him doing the rare double nomination (2016 & 2017) prior to the round, and he posted some impressive numbers.

Harry looked good though.

McGrath - solid performer, will be a good player but unlikely to be a game breaker.
Burton - great decision maker and skills, in the classic Hawthorn mould.

He's had a good year, but I doubt long term whether McGrath will even be a top 10 from this draft. Much rather have Burton. Most exciting prospect (biased, obviously) is probably Charlie Curnow, based on what he has already shown in multiple positions.

McGrath - solid performer, will be a good player but unlikely to be a game breaker.
Burton - great decision maker and skills, in the classic Hawthorn mould.

He's had a good year, but I doubt long term whether McGrath will even be a top 10 from this draft. Much rather have Burton. Most exciting prospect (biased, obviously) is probably Charlie Curnow, based on what he has already shown in multiple positions.
Agree on Curnow
Really disagree on McGrath.
We have a balanced offensive/defensive mid with clean hands, good decision making and excellent kicking skills.

I watched him in what was a rather ordinary game yday. His defensive running is some of the best I've seen. Possibly looks better cos most of our team are poor at it.
Corrales his opponent rather than running at them and getting turned inside out.
Kid has a lot of understated class.

McGrath has performed consistently great in a finals team and become a rock in helping the team make finals.

Burton has been a standout in a run of the mill team with only 1 AA squad nominee.
But who has performed better, McGrath or Burton. That's the only metric that matters with this award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ryan Clarke will get it this week.
There was even an AFL article about him doing the rare double nomination (2016 & 2017) prior to the round, and he posted some impressive numbers.

You're probably right. Harry probably needed to have more time-on-ground to be a really good chance given there seems to be some hesitation about giving nominations to debutants (and fair enough too, a freakish outlier game that the player never gets close to again is probably not nomination worthy).

So you're saying Burton had a lot less support around him than McGrath, and that McGrath is more worthy due to the stars around him who can help bring him into the game? Solid argument.

Last edited:
So you're saying Burton had a loss less support around him than McGrath, and that McGrath is more worthy due to the stars around him who can help bring him into the game? Solid argument.
In a sense yes, Burton stands out due to the lack of promising players on your list

the Rising Star eh. It's like The Walking Dead. You start off completely fascinated by it, and follow it avidly. But about halfway through its run you start to get rather bored by the repetitive nature of the debate around it, and you start noticing a lot of shit you used to overlook. But you've invested so much time in it that you keep paying attention. But towards the end you're heartily sick of it and just wishing it would all end up really.

4 days to go...

Sounds like you were unlucky not to make top 4. Instead, with all your promising players obscuring McGrath's talent, you managed to finish only 1.5 wins ahead of us.
Yes, you had an abundance of aged premiership stars that got you some extra wins.

In a sense yes, Burton stands out due to the lack of promising players on your list

'No Youf'.

Really disagree on McGrath. We have a balanced offensive/defensive mid with clean hands, good decision making and excellent kicking skills.
I watched him in what was a rather ordinary game y'day. His defensive running is some of the best I've seen. Possibly looks better cos most of our team are poor at it. Corrals his opponent rather than running at them and getting turned inside out. Kid has a lot of understated class.

Well Yes....He wasn't the number 1 pick for nothing....Will end up a gun midfielder without a doubt.

Most of the gun kids these days, are getting a gig in defense first up, in order to solidify their defensive game from the get-go.....It's a sound philosophy I reckon.

the Rising Star eh. It's like The Walking Dead. You start off completely fascinated by it, and follow it avidly. But about halfway through its run you start to get rather bored by the repetitive nature of the debate around it, and you start noticing a lot of shit you used to overlook. But you've invested so much time in it that you keep paying attention. But towards the end you're heartily sick of it and just wishing it would all end up really.

4 days to go...
walking dead, game of thrones, etc etc.

Can anyone tell me when this thing is actually announced? I've scoured the internet and can't find any details anywhere. Even the rising star page on the AFL's website seems to be silent on it. Amateur hour

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Rising Star Discussion

Back