Sicily

Those that didn't

Litherland
Howe
Fitzpatrick
Schoenmakers
O'Brien

Overall v scrappy game Mitchell a class above but nothing strange about that
Howe? You have to be kidding yourself was one of our best on grounds!!

Fringe players who increased their chances for round 1

Heatherley
O'Rourke
Hartung
Sicily

Those that didn't

Litherland
Howe
Fitzpatrick
Schoenmakers
O'Brien

Thought Howe was pretty good overall. Brand also did his chances no harm.

Litherland was disappointing.

As a Box Hill regular it was great to see them out in Hawthorn colours. Miles showed exactly what he does at VFL level, great agility and speed and side stepping without getting a heap of the ball. Pretty much all of them played like it was a VFL game, Howe getting the majority of the ball, Sicily doing a couple good things but being generally quiet, TOB ditto whilst barely touching the ball.

Worrying sign is Litherland. He's always seemed like he's too good for VFL level in the sense that he can run harder and faster but unlike Hartung or Hill or Smith, he doesn't know how to gentle kick the ball at full speed. Seen it again today, he's just an average kicker at the moment

**** sake be selfish TOB. you need those goals
Fringe players who increased their chances for round 1

Heatherley
O'Rourke
Hartung
Sicily

Those that didn't

Litherland
Howe
Fitzpatrick
Schoenmakers
O'Brien

Dont think billy and shoe are fringe

JOR dropped off second half?

Howe was a touch iffy with disposal but got amongst it often.
O'Rourke only really seemed in the game when he was put on the ball. Spent quite a bit of the rest of the game playing bit parts on the flanks.

JOR dropped off second half?

Howe was a touch iffy with disposal but got amongst it often.

By the looks of it, JOR got moved around the ground a fair bit. Was still a little down on possessions, but he admittedly was in the front half or on the wings for a fair bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely have some young players to work with

Sicily - very congested Carlton backline so didn't get a chance to shine but had some glimpses where he positions himself really well

O'Rourke - is so close to having a break out game , he gets his hands on it alot and will either slightly fumble and then get tackled before disposing it . I don't like the way he sets up at centre bounces he always seems to float around the pack instead of being at the fall of the ball . There's something to work with though especially if he starts winning some outside ball and gains some confidence

Brand- only played on Jones but was solid great body positioning and is surprising quick. Would have him in front of heatherly atm

Howe - he is just so smart knows where the ball is going to go wasn't as clean as he normally is but still in our top 5 tonight

And lastly Birch in the middle could be a serious weapon for us

I think there's some rose coloured glasses here re Howe.

Good looking boy but didn't see much good footy from him tonight. O'Rourke and Hartung much better

Yeah I'm hoping Howe is as good as people are expecting but haven't seen much yet.

Isn't overly quick. Disposal is solid but not great and hasn't given me any 'wow' moments.

Be interested what those who have seen him play more expect him to be or provide. What are his strengths?

Thoughts on the match -

Older players were just taking it easy and holding up the structures for the younger blokes and the newcomers. Thoughts in no particular order.

Fitzpatrick

I recon this guy is going to make some people look a little stupid later on. If he gets his kicking right this guy could be fantastic. Has a good set of hands, and you didnt get to see it tonight but he is incredibly fast for his size. Showed a couple of glimpses, needs monky to give him some real work on his rucking.

Brand

Very comfy, pretty sure he just slots straight into the back 6 now in the lake spot for the time being. good size, looks competent, didnt embarass himself at all.

Heatherley

I really like this bloke, but I see him as more of a gibbo replacement for the time being. Had a pretty good game I recon.

Sicily

we know this bloke can play, it's just a matter of when he hits the 22.

Howe

I recon this guy is going to be the new silk within a few years, has class written all over his play.

O'Rourke

Had a pretty damn good game after a quiet opener, picked up the pace and just rolled with it, lots of the ball and quick hands.

Hartung

Will be in the squad all year failing something terrible happening. had a couple of dodgy moments but mostly it was run and pace.

Miles

This bloke is going to surprise some people.. keep an eye on him.. watched a lot of him in the vfl and he has some moves. Work in progress.

Wilsmore

Surprise packet for me tonight, moved pretty well, played both ends and did nothing wrong that I could see. I've always kinda ignored him due to the sicilian, but tonight he was good!

O'Brien

I know some people arent impressed with this bloke, but I have a feeling he will come good. You saw that attempted mark near the end, back with the flight of the ball, that's what I want to see more of. He's a beautiful kick, just needs to take about a half ounce of sicilies mongrel and we'll be happy to have him!

That's about all I could take from that game, apart from the fact that carltons year may not be as incredibly awful as some have predicted. Looked a hell of a lot more structured.. that's the bolton effect lol

Yeah I'm hoping Howe is as good as people are expecting but haven't seen much yet.

Isn't overly quick. Disposal is solid but not great and hasn't given me any 'wow' moments.

Be interested what those who have seen him play more expect him to be or provide. What are his strengths?
He looks like he is playing in slow motion. Great vision and never rushed. Runs to the right positions, courageous and disposes of it well. Will be a player the hype around him is not just from football watchers but from other hawthorn players as well

I thought all rookies aside from Brand, either were on par or below expectations honestly.

Brand impressed. I honestly thought he would be still pretty green and raw, but looked composed and aggressive. He looks like a natural defender. Just contrast his feel to that of when we tried Shoey in a similar position.

Would love for Brand to get more game time this season based of this performance. He looks a winner.

NB: Note I said "expectations". For example, I have higher expectations on Hartung or Lithers because they've debuted and have more time in the system under their belt.

I think there's some rose coloured glasses here re Howe.

Good looking boy but didn't see much good footy from him tonight. O'Rourke and Hartung much better
Completely disagree.
Has played a handful of games and rolled in tonight as if he was a seasoned veteran.

Whilst he didn't do anything spectacular he linked up well and looked very, very comfortable out there.

Massive upside.

As a Box Hill regular it was great to see them out in Hawthorn colours. Miles showed exactly what he does at VFL level, great agility and speed and side stepping without getting a heap of the ball. Pretty much all of them played like it was a VFL game, Howe getting the majority of the ball, Sicily doing a couple good things but being generally quiet, TOB ditto whilst barely touching the ball.

Worrying sign is Litherland. He's always seemed like he's too good for VFL level in the sense that he can run harder and faster but unlike Hartung or Hill or Smith, he doesn't know how to gentle kick the ball at full speed. Seen it again today, he's just an average kicker at the moment

I'm not as worried about litherland as everyone else seems to be.. he just needs to "lower his eyes" and not just blast the crap out of the ball every time.. a bit more thought is all that is needed.. apart from that he doesn't really get caught, doesn't go to ground much, and plays taller than he is.. first time I saw him i was reminded a lot of the birch.. just on the opposite side of the ground. Think he probably has a place once he learns not to just bomb it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back