List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind if we took Simpkin, Twomey thinks he could've been top 5 if he'd carried on how he started the year (1 game for 4 goals, 18 touches) - has pace, skills and is smart around the goals with excellent endurance. Stringer and Lever both had bad injuries but have proved to be good picks.

Still hoping Brodie slides and we take him though.

Broken lower leg. Not a big body and will take years to develop but clever around goals.

Sounds like a 2nd round pick.

Do not want to gamble our first on him, the broken leg is the issue for me.

Depends on how bad the break was. Some broken legs heel fine and others ruin careers. I would assume clubs are confident where Simpkin's falls.

I wouldn't mind if we took Simpkin, Twomey thinks he could've been top 5 if he'd carried on how he started the year (1 game for 4 goals, 18 touches) - has pace, skills and is smart around the goals with excellent endurance. Stringer and Lever both had bad injuries but have proved to be good picks.

I don't mind the Simpkin pick. But the club usually plays it safe with their first pick with player's with runs on the board etc

Is it just me or do others think that Berry is the exact type the club would want to target? Versatile, smart, leader etc and doesn't look too bad ass (like spp). To me he seems the type we would target, not that I would complain... Cheeky bugger reckons he supports GWS...His attempt to jump straight into the leagues strongest team?
Just you I hope, doesn't appeal much to me.

What would we need for Dan Allsop pickswise and is he a perth boy?
No played for Dandenong came 2nd in the TAC cup morrish medal behind Mccluggage

Most likely go in the Rookie draft, i think Melbourne have nominated him as a indigenous rookie if gets undrafted

He's underated for mine is a live wire in the forward line with great goal sense

A year ago Berry was possibly #1 with SPS... there's no blow back for these kinds of predictions wrt Simpkin or Witherdon...

Determination and the ability to adapt has shaped Powell-Pepper’s growth as a footballer.

Having played at junior level mainly as a defender, the 18-year-old was thrown forward for WA in the national under-18 championships and showed he could not only kick goals but break through congestion as a big-bodied midfielder.

That trademark aggression at the football was evident in this year’s WAFL colts’ grand final where he kicked four goals from 22 disposals in a losing effort for East Perth.

Five league matches for the Royals this year and some advice from a former Eagle taught him another crucial lesson – not to drop his bundle after a mistake.

“My first possession on debut, I kicked it straight to the opposition,” Powell-Pepper said.

“I put my head down, but then Patrick McGinnity told me to just keep going. It’s a lesson learned, not to dwell on it and just keep moving.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...lded-sam-powell-pepper-into-a-football-beast/

Determination and the ability to adapt has shaped Powell-Pepper’s growth as a footballer.

Having played at junior level mainly as a defender, the 18-year-old was thrown forward for WA in the national under-18 championships and showed he could not only kick goals but break through congestion as a big-bodied midfielder.

That trademark aggression at the football was evident in this year’s WAFL colts’ grand final where he kicked four goals from 22 disposals in a losing effort for East Perth.

Five league matches for the Royals this year and some advice from a former Eagle taught him another crucial lesson – not to drop his bundle after a mistake.

“My first possession on debut, I kicked it straight to the opposition,” Powell-Pepper said.

“I put my head down, but then Patrick McGinnity told me to just keep going. It’s a lesson learned, not to dwell on it and just keep moving.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...am-powell-pepper-into-a-football-beast/#page1

Yeah had a giggle at that lol.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...lded-sam-powell-pepper-into-a-football-beast/

I think McGinnity was just giving him encouragement thinking it was a perfect kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did lol

Should WCE take Ben Jarman at pick 54 if still available?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To me Jarman and Daicos are the two most interesting prospects in the draft pool and bring forth certain questions. At what point do you consider pedigree. Both have elite skills, both have elite decision making characteristics and both aren't amazing athletes and both haven't shown high levels of production. I am and have always been an advocate for picking footballers over athletes and while i still have a lot of egg on my face for writing off caleb daniel and others who have been successful every one of those players that has been successful whilst not being a great athlete had high production levels as a junior. Daicos and to a lesser extent Jarman likely wont make it because although they have good skills and elite attributes the roles they play likely won't allow them to succeed at AFL level in their current positions. Priddis can make it as a shit athlete due to elite ability to win the ball in close and as an inside midfielder that's acceptable.

For outside mids and medium forwards who will get reeled in almost every time on the lead by taller, faster, more agile opponents who may have similar or close to the same play reading abilities do they have a position in the modern game?

To me Jarman and Daicos are the two most interesting prospects in the draft pool and bring forth certain questions. At what point do you consider pedigree. Both have elite skills, both have elite decision making characteristics and both aren't amazing athletes and both haven't shown high levels of production. I am and have always been an advocate for picking footballers over athletes and while i still have a lot of egg on my face for writing off caleb daniel and others who have been successful every one of those players that has been successful whilst not being a great athlete had high production levels as a junior. Daicos and to a lesser extent Jarman likely wont make it because although they have good skills and elite attributes the roles they play likely won't allow them to succeed at AFL level in their current positions. Priddis can make it as a shit athlete due to elite ability to win the ball in close and as an inside midfielder that's acceptable.

For outside mids and medium forwards who will get reeled in almost every time on the lead by taller, faster, more agile opponents who may have similar or close to the same play reading abilities do they have a position in the modern game?[/

I think Jarman can play a Robbie Gray like role in the Fwd line as what he may lack in speed he is very clever and a very good goal kicker ..Jarman also tested very well at draft combine ..

He kicked 3 goals and had 17 disposals v Vic country in U18's to set up a SA win , so lightning speed not everything it's all about ball movement..

The question you have to ask with these guys s how they are going to play defenisvely. Slow and small guys are susceptible to seriously struggle with their defensive assignments and given the way the game is played, will get run off a lot and/or not be able to do their defensive job. Imagine someone as slow as Priddis and as unable to tackle as Gaff... unfortunately it's not something that can be judged off the highlight vids...

The question you have to ask with these guys s how they are going to play defenisvely. Slow and small guys are susceptible to seriously struggle with their defensive assignments and given the way the game is played, will get run off a lot and/or not be able to do their defensive job. Imagine someone as slow as Priddis and as unable to tackle as Gaff... unfortunately it's not something that can be judged off the highlight vids...

Yeah I think it may be the combination of slow and he's quite small that are putting F/s teams Adel/Hawks off ..I actually thought he was 184 cm but is actually 177 cm ..

Broken lower leg. Not a big body and will take years to develop but clever around goals.

Sounds like a 2nd round pick.

Do not want to gamble our first on him, the broken leg is the issue for me.

Haven't there been a few highly rated youngsters miss chunks of their draft season due to injury, only to slide, then come good once drafted.

Think Jake Lever/Jake Stringer types. It's a risk, but it can also pay off dramatically.

Haven't there been a few highly rated youngsters miss chunks of their draft season due to injury, only to slide, then come good once drafted.

Think Jake Lever/Jake Stringer types. It's a risk, but it can also pay off dramatically.
Not sure about Stringer, but Lever was easily top 4 before the injury. Not sure Simpkin was rated that high...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back