List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That outside mids talk came from Richo's mouth, said we are happy with our inside ball winners and will target support for Riewoldt and fast/skilled midfielders during the trading/drafting period.
I know, but I still don't quite get how that is a big area of concern, going forward, when so many of our young ones look like they have the attributes to play outside midfield. I guess ideally we could really do with someone who is both really quick and really skilled, as most of those I mentioned are either one or the other, but other than that I'd just be wanting us to get the very best talent in the door, whether they play inside, or outside, front or back (preferably front though!).

Lots of talk that we need to address our "outside mids", going forward, but I would have thought that when you take into account that Eli looks ideally suited to that role long term, with his speed, skills and big tank, that Jack Newnes likewise looks ideally suited to it and has been groomed for it, that Jimmy Webster has all the attributes you'd be looking for to play wing and that others could also be good at it down the track (eg. Acres, Billings, Wright, Saunders, Savage, Murdoch, Markworth) I wouldn't have thought we were exactly barren as far as that part of our future team goes. In fact, we could be a fairly long way from it.

Sure we could do with a Lachie Whitfield, Stephen Hill or Josh Kelly coming through, who couldn't, but I wouldn't have thought it was any more of an area we need to get more pure class and talent into than any other area of our list.

Regardless, it looks like next year's draft could have lot of midfield class at the pointy end. Keep on hearing name after name of those who are performing well as "bottom-agers" this year, like Darcy Parish and Darcy Tucker, who apparently played very well for Vic Country a couple of weeks ago and Rhys Mathieson, who reportedly had 31 possies for the same team yesterday (all those 3 are from the footy factory at Geelong Falcons, BTW, so we'll get a really good look at them while we watch Goddard and McCartin this year!).
Calling him as mine from far out, little brother has played with him the last few years :p

Quite similar to Nat Fyfe

Regarding trading Jack Steven, I would only do so for a young talented player that I believe will be better than him in the long run. The suggestion I made was Dylan Shiel (whether it was a swap or a third club was involved). I would be very conservative about trading him and certainly wouldn't do so for draft picks. Too much uncertainty in the draft to gamble a high level player.

My point is, I believe EVERY PLAYER (barring two legends on our list IMO) is tradable for the right deal, and I believe Steven has a lot of deficiencies that separate him from being a very, very good player to being elite at AFL level. If a Patton, Cameron or Lynch (GWS) became available I'd certainly be throwing up Steven for trade, if it interested him and GWS/GC.

These are the type of dispassionate convo's the Pelican and the recruiting team would be regularly having. It's footy these days.

That outside mids talk came from Richo's mouth, said we are happy with our inside ball winners and will target support for Riewoldt and fast/skilled midfielders during the trading/drafting period.

This is why I'm on the Gaff bandwagon. He may not be super-fast but he's quick enough and finds space at ease. His run and spread would compliment Dunstan, Ross, Curren etc. Gaff is holding off contract negotiations....Would love to get him in the PSD. We owe WC one for Cripps...

Anyone see the last quarter of Hawks v GWS last night.... I want us to move heaven & earth to get Jon Patton. The only bloke on the field who held an overhead mark all game & he did it in the pressure of the final quarter against the reigning premiers. Sure he missed one of the shots, but i care more about the mark when surrounded by 3 Hawks defenders (im aware that neither of Gibson or Lake were there, but still)

Regarding trading Jack Steven, I would only do so for a young talented player that I believe will be better than him in the long run. The suggestion I made was Dylan Shiel (whether it was a swap or a third club was involved). I would be very conservative about trading him and certainly wouldn't do so for draft picks. Too much uncertainty in the draft to gamble a high level player.

My point is, I believe EVERY PLAYER (barring two legends on our list IMO) is tradable for the right deal, and I believe Steven has a lot of deficiencies that separate him from being a very, very good player to being elite at AFL level. If a Patton, Cameron or Lynch (GWS) became available I'd certainly be throwing up Steven for trade, if it interested him and GWS/GC.

These are the type of dispassionate convo's the Pelican and the recruiting team would be regularly having. It's footy these days.

I'd view trading Jack same as trading Ball. Neither were/are indispensable. If it gave us a top 5 - 10 pick + player, then yeah I would move.

Have always said that mids are dime a dozen, where as good kpp's are rare to get.

I understand that we're all just kicking around trade & draft possibilities but I can't see any circumstance where Jack would be traded.

1. He's our best mid by a significant stretch. Don't consider how he's playing now (his injury caused his pre season to be a virtual write off) but remember how brilliant he was in 2013. Dynamic, goal kicking, hard as a cats head. He's a small statured Dangerfield at his best. UNTRADEABLE.

2. Some of the possible trades thrown up are unlikely to happen in the extreme. GC won't trade Lynch for anyone in the comp. Same goes for GWS & Cameron. Patton isn't worth a player of Jack's ilk right now... in 12 months time we throw a career making offer at him when he's coming out of contract.

Our plan has to be very patient & strategic. Draft best available. Trade smart. Sign FA's when it's time.

Stay the course. Don't panic. Don't trade Jack Steven.

We are definitely lacking speed through the midfield, but I agree with what was said earlier about Webster, Wright, Shenton, Markworth, Acres, etc. we may already have that smooth moving fast paced movement, just not developed enough to run through the midfield (Webster, Wright, Shenton) or an unkown quantity as such (Markworth, Acres).

I think as much as it is speed we are after, its more so speed of ball movement than actual pace of a player, its the way footy is going now when you see Shaw and Malceski streaming down the backline moving the ball on, Polec has been that player for Port as well out of the backline, not necessarily quick blokes but guys who can kick a ball, take the game on and throw structures into dissaray. When I think about this, I feel as though its the experience and maturity of our team that is needed in regards to our game plan rather than the types of players we are getting in.

The main difference here is quality. As I said before Webster can hit a pass, Acres looked likely in the VFL and you can see the difference between a Billings and a Newnes (outside) or a Dunstan and a Ross (inside) in terms of the quality of their posessions. What we need is top end talent who have good foot skills. Pace and the ability to take the game on is just a plus in my book.

What I'm interested in is Richos comments regarding the types of midfielders we need - he has said quality and pace I believe and that we are happy with our inside mid brigade. Makes me think that Shiel might be surplus (although you don't pass him up in the PSD), Ross might actually be safe and seen as a key inside mid cog, and perhaps we may go for someone such as O'Rourke this year as a trade or PSD option.

Would O'Rourke for our second round pick fly?

I thought Seb was very good early on but then faded like many of his mates.

Really showed an improvement in his competitiveness at AFL level (which he has in spades in the VFL). I reckon he's just about ready to really show the benefits of an extended apprenticeship now. I really hope he's just locked into the side for the rest of the year now & gets a chance to settle in.
Give Dunstan a rest, get Armo back & let he & Seb work together for a few months.

felsty It's really difficult to judge how highly GWS will rate the various players that are reportedly on the move. It depends on which other teams are after them too I suppose. O'Rourke can't get a game but his high draft position will create quite a bit om competition... Jaksch & Sheil the same.

It's a simple game...yet so difficult. We have 3 (maybe 4) drafts and probably 16 draft selections. We can't afford to miss, simple as that...especially with our first 2 selections. Best available every time IMO.

Trout, Ameet & Pelch have started pretty well, let's see how they go over the next 2 draft periods.

Lots of talk that we need to address our "outside mids", going forward, but I would have thought that when you take into account that Eli looks ideally suited to that role long term, with his speed, skills and big tank, that Jack Newnes likewise looks ideally suited to it and has been groomed for it, that Jimmy Webster has all the attributes you'd be looking for to play wing and that others could also be good at it down the track (eg. Acres, Billings, Wright, Saunders, Savage, Murdoch, Markworth) I wouldn't have thought we were exactly barren as far as that part of our future team goes. In fact, we could be a fairly long way from it.

Sure we could do with a Lachie Whitfield, Stephen Hill or Josh Kelly coming through, who couldn't, but I wouldn't have thought it was any more of an area we need to get more pure class and talent into than any other area of our list.

Regardless, it looks like next year's draft could have lot of midfield class at the pointy end. Keep on hearing name after name of those who are performing well as "bottom-agers" this year, like Darcy Parish and Darcy Tucker, who apparently played very well for Vic Country a couple of weeks ago and Rhys Mathieson, who reportedly had 31 possies for the same team yesterday (all those 3 are from the footy factory at Geelong Falcons, BTW, so we'll get a really good look at them while we watch Goddard and McCartin this year!).

Absolutely valid points, I should've been more specific. Outside speed and run is lower down in the pecking order relative to our KPF and indeed our KPP needs. I still think we probably need one or two more elite inside midfielders or at least a couple who can play both inside/outside like Joey for example. Definitely need to focus on drafting best available, and if there are two similarly ranked players with what the recruiters feel are similar levels of talent, then prioritise regarding our list needs.

I thought Seb was very good early on but then faded like many of his mates.

Really showed an improvement in his competitiveness at AFL level (which he has in spades in the VFL). I reckon he's just about ready to really show the benefits of an extended apprenticeship now. I really hope he's just locked into the side for the rest of the year now & gets a chance to settle in.
Give Dunstan a rest, get Armo back & let he & Seb work together for a few months.

felsty It's really difficult to judge how highly GWS will rate the various players that are reportedly on the move. It depends on which other teams are after them too I suppose. O'Rourke can't get a game but his high draft position will create quite a bit om competition... Jaksch & Sheil the same.

Shiel will be the most expensive (if we had to fight other clubs to nab him via trade). Dynamic, explosive inside mid, who kicks em 55+ off a step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sing it sister.

I understand that we're all just kicking around trade & draft possibilities but I can't see any circumstance where Jack would be traded.

1. He's our best mid by a significant stretch. Don't consider how he's playing now (his injury caused his pre season to be a virtual write off) but remember how brilliant he was in 2013. Dynamic, goal kicking, hard as a cats head. He's a small statured Dangerfield at his best. UNTRADEABLE.

2. Some of the possible trades thrown up are unlikely to happen in the extreme. GC won't trade Lynch for anyone in the comp. Same goes for GWS & Cameron. Patton isn't worth a player of Jack's ilk right now... in 12 months time we throw a career making offer at him when he's coming out of contract.

Our plan has to be very patient & strategic. Draft best available. Trade smart. Sign FA's when it's time.

Exactly. We're trying to ADD to our elite young talent, not taketh away. Not many bang on about kicking more than me and no doubt Steven has issues but we're rebuilding so he has time to work on it.

W2L I can see Melbourne throwing a giant offer at Steven but likely draft picks not players. What if they offered us pick 4 and an outside runner such as Jimmy Toumpas, who apparently we rated extremely highly in his draft? Would that get the clubs attention?

Of course I'm just throwing up hypotheticals. I'd certainly put GWS Lynch as near on impossible to get but my point is all players on our list are tradable with the exception of Lenny and Nick, IMO.

I do think GWS will part with one of Boyd, Cameron or Patton in the next two years and that creates an opportunity for us. This has nothing to do with those three not working in the one team, I actually think they can work, but more to do with the basket case that is GWS and players will want to move on. Lets face it, Cameron, Boyd and Patton will likely eat up 3MILL a year from their cap in the next 2-3 years, and that's just not going to work.

See, Essendon might be in the position where they NEED players like Ross and Dunell in a package, over and against a 2nd drafter.

If they lose half their list, or whatever, that's TWENTY players they've got to find. Packaging a bunch of semi-seasoned players (3rd years) for a pick could be very attractive to them.

Add the romance of those two, and it might give them SOMETHING positive to tell their members!

They ain't getting banned, I said it last year and I'll say it again. People can keep dreaming but clubs have been told the players won't cop any suspensions. It's why clubs were happy to trade with them last year.

They ain't getting banned, I said it last year and I'll say it again. People can keep dreaming but clubs have been told the players won't cop any suspensions. It's why clubs were happy to trade with them last year.

I can appreciate your inside word ST but judging by what's being quoted in the media from Little/Timmay Watson/family of players etc they are far from 100% confident.

Last edited:
Tac Cup Future Stars Top 10 Rolling Draft (from yesterday):

1. Bris - Paddy McCartin
2. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
3. StK - Sam Durdin
4. Melb - Tom Lamb
5. WB - Peter Wright
6. Rich - Lachlan Weller
7. Carl - Hugh Goddard
8. Ess - Christian Petracca
9. Adel - Liam Duggan
10. WC - Clem Smith

Obviously the Bummers won't have that top 10 pick. They just wanted to show what they will miss out on LOL.

i guess someone forgot to tell ASADA?

I can appreciate your inside word ST but judging by what's being quoted in the media from Little/Timmay Watson/family of players etc they are far from 100% confident.

from what ive read from people with connections inside football. theyve all said what ST has said...so it doesnt surprise me ST has relayed this. the confidence in what they are say is pretty high too. i think it just shows the mentality of people in football. they just dont seem to grasp the situation essendon and the players are in.

1. Bris - Paddy McCartin
2. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
3. StK - Sam Durdin
4. Melb - Tom Lamb
5. WB - Peter Wright
6. Rich - Lachlan Weller
7. Carl - Hugh Goddard
8. Ess - Christian Petracca
9. Adel - Liam Duggan
10. WC - Clem Smith

Obviously the Bummers won't have that top 10 pick. They just wanted to show what they will miss out on LOL.
I reckon Melbourne would take Wright ahead of Lamb, and the Pups would take Goddard ahead of him too...

I'd be pretty happy with Durdin in the end, but geez I hope McCartin gets to us; I don't see Durdin developing into a beast KPF. If not, then maybe Schache or Weidman next year...

from what ive read from people with connections inside football. theyve all said what ST has said...so it doesnt surprise me ST has relayed this. the confidence in what they are say is pretty high too. i think it just shows the mentality of people in football. they just dont seem to grasp the situation essendon and the players are in.

It's easy to become a cynic and believe nothing will happen. The AFL have done well to cover up massive stories in the past. But with the world watching and WADA/ASADA having no vested interests you have to think this story is too big and difficult for the AFL to sweep under the carpet.

The over-confidence of Paul Little in the past (he's showing cracks) is nothing more than a PR stunt in an attempt to persuade public opinion, IMO.

I watch with interest how this plays out.

I reckon Melbourne would take Wright ahead of Lamb, and the Pups would take Goddard ahead of him too...

I'd be pretty happy with Durdin in the end, but geez I hope McCartin gets to us; I don't see Durdin developing into a beast KPF. If not, then maybe Schache or Weidman next year...

I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll end up with pick 3 though. I reckon pick 1 or pick 2 is much more likely, so I think we should be able to choose almost whoever we want.

1. Bris - Paddy McCartin
2. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
3. StK - Sam Durdin
4. Melb - Tom Lamb
5. WB - Peter Wright
If Lamb is going to go that high, would we take him? If he's going ahead of Wright on that list now, he must be putting in some stirling performances. Or is the tool factor just too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back