List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would we give up Dal Santo AND pick 5 for only pick 1? Difference between pick 1 and 5 ain't that big. I'd rather keep kid we'd get with pick 5 and keep Dal Santo. Or you know offload Dal for another first rounder.
I guess some people see Boyd as potentially another Nick Reiwoldt

Would you trade NDS for Frawley?

No. What's the obsession with trading NDS? Not a good move for the culture of the club if you're trading out guys like that, especially when they still have years left in them. Terrible move. Find another way to get Frawley, or move on to someone else and be satisfied with a Mitch Brown.

GWS would do it for sure. They want Mature quality players and they only have to downgrade pick 1 for for pick 5.

Stanley has been in the system long enough, and as much as I think he has the potential to be a reasonable second backman, he's still learning that. He never showed much as a forward either. Just being on the list for a while doesn't make you mature, and it doesn't make you quality. If GWS took this I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Why on earth would we give up Dal Santo AND pick 5 for only pick 1? Difference between pick 1 and 5 ain't that big. I'd rather keep kid we'd get with pick 5 and keep Dal Santo. Or you know offload Dal for another first rounder.

I'd take that trade. But how does free agencie work? I thought he gets offered a contract then if we don't match it the AFL gives us a draft pick that they see suits?

No. What's the obsession with trading NDS? Not a good move for the culture of the club if you're trading out guys like that, especially when they still have years left in them. Terrible move. Find another way to get Frawley, or move on to someone else and be satisfied with a Mitch Brown.

Stanley has been in the system long enough, and as much as I think he has the potential to be a reasonable second backman, he's still learning that. He never showed much as a forward either. Just being on the list for a while doesn't make you mature, and it doesn't make you quality. If GWS took this I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'll be honest, I don't really want us to trade NDS but I worry that we'll only have him contracted for 1 more year and he'll be FA eligible. So I wouldn't want to loose him for nothing. Plus we could get the best kid in the country for him.

I'll be honest, I don't really want us to trade NDS but I worry that we'll only have him contracted for 1 more year and he'll be FA eligible. So I wouldn't want to loose him for nothing. Plus we could get the best kid in the country for him.

If we don't show a bit of faith in Dal, why should any of our players show loyalty to the club going forward? We'll lose more than we gain in the long run, you need to earn loyalty from your players, not expect it. The Saints and Dal have mutually earned loyalty, they both need to just keep a little bit of faith in each other. If the Saints then turf him out 'just in case' - you've shattered the trust not just with him, but with countless more to come.

Unless Melbourne have a slavery clause, I would think as he is under contract if he stays, or goes, it is up to him, as they can't compel him to go anywhere. If he and the club are in agreement, then they will release him from his contract and trade him to their mutual club of choice.
A player has to agree to the trade, Cale Hooker's reluctance to move was why the Mitch Brown rip-off deal didn't go through
Fair point.
But how does it work if say GC present an exceptional offer and the Saints present an offer of lesser value to Melbourne in terms of trade value (picks/players), but we offer Frawley more in terms of money, job security, better location etc.? Surely it's Melbourne's choice to agree to trade with the club that offers them the best value rather than it be up to the player to look after his own interests?

If we don't show a bit of faith in Dal, why should any of our players show loyalty to the club going forward? We'll lose more than we gain in the long run, you need to earn loyalty from your players, not expect it. The Saints and Dal have mutually earned loyalty, they both need to just keep a little bit of faith in each other. If the Saints then turf him out 'just in case' - you've shattered the trust not just with him, but with countless more to come.
BJ didn't show loyalty..he took the brown paper bag like Lyon..!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think we can all agree, Patty would have more of an impact than TDL.

At 2 - 6 (and likely to go 8 - 14/ 7 - 15) any downhill skiers are going to get found out unfortunately. When forward 50 entries are limited and haphazard, small forwards who can't/won't go through the midfield, tackle, pressure, chase etc are going to be found out. Geelong can afford to carry 2 or 3 (even with them taking time in the midfield), we cannot.

Does TDL have another year on his contract?
Ha! - great call. I would have more of an impact than TDL ;)

BJ didn't show loyalty..he took the brown paper bag like Lyon..!!

I understand that, but I don't think the club were too fussed with losing him. They were happy with a first round pick for him considering our list position, but didn't want to be seen as the bad guys in trading him away. Giving him a reasonable deal, but one he's not going to accept, makes him look like the mercenary and future players can't blame the club for not being loyal to him. Club keeps it's loyal image, get's a return for BJ and a bunch of cap room going into a period where we could really use it to lure some future stars.

Are you sure were talking about the same McGuane? Have you guys been watching him last year and this year. He's a ripper and he's a better defender than he is a forward, their only playing him forward cause they don't even need him up back.

I have a question for the Richmond guy. How much $'s would he be on and what would it cost to get him.

He can't kick and is a spud otherwise. Worth $250k max. I would take Sipo and half the AFL before him

The way I see it the club has to either offer him a 3-4 year deal and make him a saint for life or trade him while he's still contracted.

Trading NDS is silly talk . the club will sign him to a 3 year deal (max) or he chooses to go and we get good picks for him. we wont let it go to FA

Fair point.
But how does it work if say GC present an exceptional offer and the Saints present an offer of lesser value to Melbourne in terms of trade value (picks/players), but we offer Frawley more in terms of money, job security, better location etc.? Surely it's Melbourne's choice to agree to trade with the club that offers them the best value rather than it be up to the player to look after his own interests?
Then Melbourne have to make the choice between retaining Frawley and risk losing him for even less or sucking it up and trading him. They can hope to pull a Mitch Clark and a better offer for both parties comes along but it's unlikely.

Can't trade a player without their consent, no matter how sweet a deal it is for the club.

I would do it. But why in the world would GWS do it???

i wouldnt. theres so much speculation on boyd that it aint funny.

we know what we've got with stanley and we'll get a decent first rounder as well.

we need to stop taking short cuts or we'll end up like melbourne

i wouldnt. theres so much speculation on boyd that it aint funny.

we know what we've got with stanley and we'll get a decent first rounder as well.

we need to stop taking short cuts or we'll end up like melbourne

I'd argue no-one has any idea what we've got with Stanley, he's still speculative. He hasn't shown himself to be a "good" level player in any position, and whilst he hasn't disgraced himself at full back, we're just hoping he improves, really. I'd rather put that hope in a number 1 draft pick than someone who has showed little in 5(?) yearsish in the system, and we're still waiting to really show they're worth it.

Stanley + pick 5 for Boyd? Who would do it?
I see a lot of potential in Rhys, up either end of the ground and also in the ruck, but given the fact he hasn't nailed down a position yet and has really lacked durability over the years, I would think very very long and hard about that deal, especially if they threw in some sort of sweetener as well, because Boyd looks and sounds absolutely outstanding and about the only way you're going to get someone like him (who plays key forward and looks like being a dominant "marquee forward", long term) is by finishing bottom, or 2nd bottom, when someone like him happens to be available, or if you trade someone pretty damn good to be able to get them.

It's like when Hawthorn traded Trent Croad for pick one in the "super-draft" so that they could get Hodge (although he doesn't play key position), who they knew was simply outstanding.

By the sounds of it Boyd is better than Patton and is the type that you would likewise build your team around going forward. It's very rare that you get a chance to get someone like him without being about the worst team in the comp or without giving up more than you're going to be able to tolerate giving up.

The main problem with trading anyone and our first pick for a crack at Boyd is that getting him doesn't solve our need for someone really good for FB, or our need to really bolster our midfield with some top-end talent there (which we likely could with a pick like 5 or 6).

I guess it will all come down to just how good Boyd is and how much we would have to give up to get him, as well as who we manage to get in any other trades, or through free agency.

The way I see it the club has to either offer him a 3-4 year deal and make him a saint for life or trade him while he's still contracted.
If we sign him for another 3 years I'll be happy but right now as it stands he's got a clause for 1 more year in a contract and he's coming into Free Agency. There also may not be any free agency compensation from next year. If we loose him for nothing I'll be furious at the club.
I agreed with what Robbo said on him on AFL 360 tonight, which was along the lines of we sit down with him at the end of the year and say to him "look we're very happy for you to stay here for the remainder of your career, but at the same time it may suit both parties if we go our separate ways, because of the situation we find ourselves in (club looking at rebuilding and keen to bring in more youth and Dal in his final years and probably still hungry for a flag, or for a fresh challenge, or more money), so if you're keen to go elsewhere, we'll help you to get there".

Just be grown up and honest about it and say it like it is, like Sydney reportedly did at the end of 2009, when they apparently sat their senior group down and told them that they may have to trade one or two of them, because they had to rebuild/restructure their list.

Then, if he says he wants to stay, we offer him a two-three year contract to tie him up for the next 2-3 years and take free agency away as an option for him next year, or else, if he doesn't, we look to trade him to his club of choice at the end of this year and get something/someone of real value in return, as we did when we lost Goddard, Hall, Plugger and Spider.

As Robbo said, if he leaves we would still have the Riewoldt's and Lenny's (if he stays, plus Joey, Dempster, Fisher, etc) to lead the way for the next generation, while trading him would help us to bring some more high-end talent in from either another club, or the draft, like letting Goddard walk without trying very hard to keep him last year allowed us to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back