2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a fantastic crowd on a wet night, would have easily got over 30K with no rain I feel. Maybe the AFL should look at scheduling more Friday night games in Sydney in the future - maybe 2 per season for them

Look mate I don't care if you want a go at Richmond.
Actually, I was just saying Richmond shouldnt be glorified for getting 36,000. Its nothing special - below League attendance average - so I'm not sure why Richmond supporters are beating it up so much. Hardly bagging Richmond.

However last year in Round 4 a struggling North drew 33,000 VS an Essendon coming off 2 wins and 1 defeat. Essendon...as big as Collingwood if going well and probably the best supported club in Victoria, drew 33,000 at the same time of year away to the same opposition and NOT on Easter.
While I agree with you that Essendon would be the best supported team in Melbourne, I think the Bombers have clearly the most fickle supporters in Victoria. Thats the impression I've gotten from living in Essendon my whole life anyway. Richmond, along with Collingwood, certainly have far more patriotic and loyal supporters than the bombers but that still doesnt mean 36,000 is a breath-taking crowd.

In Round 3 two years ago they drew 34,000 against flag waving Hawthorn for Pete's sake.
Round 3 2009 Carlton vs Essendon 70,411
the first match against Hawthorn that year was a sell-out at Docklands (50,475) and the second drew 77,278. Yet again pulling facts out of your arse.

Now if you want to pretend 36,000 was nothing special you are more than welcome to do so but it was in fact an almost unprecedented turnout for struggling bottom 4 North against struggling bottom 4 opposition of any club never mind Richmond.
As i previously mentioned, and you struggled to comprehend, Carlton v North Round 12 2006 fit your criteria perfectly. so there's a precedence. i'm sure there's been plenty more since 36,000 is wholly unremarkable.

As I said to Abaddon by all means have your bias but try to make sensible comment if you are going to commment otherwise the Bay exists for point scoring and bagging.
Actually, since Hawthorn hasnt really entered this conversation directly my opinion is certainly more objective than yours; a supporter of Richmond. Clearly i have made the sensible comments backed up by evidence where as it is you that has bagged my approach and materialised outlandish statements to support your meagre argument.

16k at Etihad - yes the 2 cellar dwellers but with potential for both to have a dip (and North's first win more likely) ... very poor!

Crows v Saints 33k ... not bad for a sell-out in a 54k max stadium? :rolleyes:

Norths crowd was very ordinary and they should get themselves to Hobart asap!

BTW the talking about poor crowds the Storm were back to only 9000 last night a AAMI Park in perfect weather and they are a one town team.:eek:

Official crowd: 37,438 at the MCG

Was quite impressed with the crowd 37,438 for a team who won their 1st game last week, gee it was fricken loud last night just a sea of yellow & black...

Lions fans id say between 3 and 5 thousand attended (5 thousand being perhaps generous) in the past when winning games would be more around the 7 or 8 thousand mark....

BTW the talking about poor crowds the Storm were back to only 9000 last night a AAMI Park in perfect weather and they are a one town team.:eek:

Certainly a disappointing figure, judging by gaps around the stadium it seems a number of reserved-seat members were missing too. Maybe they're all Richmond supporters...

Round 6 crowds

West Coast v Melbourne (Subiaco) 36,298
Sydney v Carlton (SCG) 28,081
North Melbourne v Port Adelaide (Docklands) 16,014
Richmond v Brisbane (MCG) 37,438
Adelaide v St Kilda (Football Park) 33,854
Essendon v Gold Coast (Docklands) 33,710
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs (MCG) 53,776

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly a disappointing figure, judging by gaps around the stadium it seems a number of reserved-seat members were missing too. Maybe they're all Richmond supporters...

Thats what kept me from attending the Storm game..

Round 6 Crowds

West Coast v Melbourne (Pattersons) 36,928
Sydney v Carlton (SCG) 28,081
North v Port (Etihad) 16,014
Richmond v Brisbane (MCG) 37,438
adelaide v st kilda (Aami) 33,884
Essendon v Gold Coast (Etihad) 33,170
Collingwood v Bulldogs (MCG) 53,776

----------------------------------------------

Lowest Rd 6 total since 2004 (1,611,598)
Lowest Rd 6 ave since 2004 (33,373)

R6 2011 Total - 239,921 (7 matches) DOWN 107,903 on 2010
R6 2010 Total - 347,824 (8 matches)
R6 10yr Rd.av - 255,346 (80 matches)

R6 2011 Ave - 34,274 (7 matches) DOWN 12,415
R6 2010 Ave - 46,689 (8 matches)
R6 10yr ave - 31,918 (80 matches)

2011 (1-6) agregate - 1,729,371 (46 matches) DOWN 192,694
2010 (1-6) agregate - 1,922,065 (48 matches)
10yr (1-6) agreg.av - 1,554,946

2011 Season Average - 37,595 (Up 688)
2010 Season Average - 36,907
10yr Season Average - 35,050

Notes:
this time last year it was rivalry round, featuring several derbys, and major melbourne team match ups.
There are two extra rounds this season
There are two less games at this point of the season than normal due to extra byes.

Couldn't believe how empty mcc was today. . Bulldogs seemed to have 1 supporter for every 20 pies supporters.

Loved the twilight game though As a 21year old sunday = sitting around at home doing shit all so was grouse to have a game to go to.

Good attendances across the board for this round. After a ropey opening few rounds the past couple have been excelent.

If the Essendon revival ( guaranteed crowd magnet in the top 8 ) and the Richmond improvement ( who knows what we would draw in the 8 if we got there ) continue then it could still be a bumper year despite the advent of the expansion teams.

Simple question, were u there at Etihad 4 Rich V North?

when the roos kicked goals u hardly heard them let alone see them it was predominantly yellow & black around the ground, when we kicked goals it was loud, the break up of the crowd and a home game to the roos i might add was more in the vicinity of Tigers 25K and Roos 11K...Thats not throwing figures willy nilly u had to be there to see that we had about 70% of the crowd....

I was there. You're full of sh1t.

If Coll, Ess, Carl, Rich, WCE & Adel (incl tentatively) keep playing well or at least be competitive it could be a very good year.
In terms of League wide attendence, West Coast is the last team you want to be performing well. There is about a 5,000 difference between West Coast winning the flag and West Coast winning the Spoon.

Next week will be a very low drawing round with no big games and four low drawing games.

PA vs Haw (AAMI) - 18k
WBD vs Syd (MO) - 12k
Geel vs NM (SS) - 24k
Rich vs Frem (MCG) - 30k
GC vs BL (G) - 30k
Melb vs Adel (MCG) - 22k
Ess vs WCE (ES) - 38k
St K vs Carl (ES) - 42k
Total - 216k
Average - 27k

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 crowds