2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond/Hawthorn and StKilda/Essendon could have been better - though the latter is probably because it's twilight footy (well done AFL)

I was happily surprised with 47k on a Sunday Twilight. Our last three or four against the Saints, in the same timeslot at the same ground, all drew around the 40k mark.

As for next two weeks, I'd call 65,000 for the Essendon-Carlton game, and between 85-90,000 for Anzac Day.

I was happily surprised with 47k on a Sunday Twilight. Our last three or four against the Saints, in the same timeslot at the same ground, all drew around the 40k mark.

As for next two weeks, I'd call 65,000 for the Essendon-Carlton game, and between 85-90,000 for Anzac Day.
I too was happy with 47k. Was expecting high 30's, low 40's for that one.

Poor show for the Geelong, Bulldogs and Melbourne games for the home fans

Richmond/Hawthorn and StKilda/Essendon could have been better - though the latter is probably because it's twilight footy (well done AFL)

47k at the TD is as close as a sell out you'll ever get, Just as the game was starting you could only buy standing room tickets for GA or single seats only for premium seating.

Poor show for the Geelong, Bulldogs and Melbourne games for the home fans
Geelong- Standing room was the only place which wasn't full, and a few hundred seats in the reserve seat section in the terrace.
Bulldogs- Anything about 20,000 for either the dogs or north against a poor supported interstate team is great.
Melbourne- Seemed a very meh game, not bad considering
It was pouring at the first match, and sellouts don't draw too many more than 47,000 at etihad...

Fair call. Thought Skilled had a bigger capacity than what it does (thought it was 30-35k - not 27k) - also forgot how unsupported Melbourne/Bulldogs are - 8000 something not signed up from 2010 is a sizeable chunk

Decent crowds at Subi this year - average of over 36.5k - doubt it will stay that high but will be well within the 30-35k average for our games

Fair call. Thought Skilled had a bigger capacity than what it does (thought it was 30-35k - not 27k) - also forgot how unsupported Melbourne/Bulldogs are - 8000 something not signed up from 2010 is a sizeable chunk

Decent crowds at Subi this year - average of over 36.5k - doubt it will stay that high but will be well within the 30-35k average for our games

Skilled is supposed to have a capacity of 31,000-ish, but the biggest crowd we got last year was right around 27,000, and even watching on TV it didn't look like another person could have fit in. So I am not really sure where those extra seats are.

It looked fairly full to me except for a few bare patches yesterday. Not really sure how they are counting attendance to be honest!

Brief heavy rain doesn't help crowds. Attendance was poor across the road at the rugby too - probably 25-30% down on what you'd expect if the weather was OK.

No - the Storm have for a very long time only been able to pull 10- 11,000 to their games which is pathetic for one team in a city the size of Melbourne clearly the Melbourne sporting public are not at all interested in RL even though the Storm have been very successfull on the field.

The new RU Rebels are getting much better crowds a nd will continue to improve as that sport has a long history in Melbourne unlike RL that has none.

Skilled is supposed to have a capacity of 31,000-ish, but the biggest crowd we got last year was right around 27,000, and even watching on TV it didn't look like another person could have fit in. So I am not really sure where those extra seats are.

It looked fairly full to me except for a few bare patches yesterday. Not really sure how they are counting attendance to be honest!
With the announcement of the redevelopment begining in September, newspapers have reported capacity being increased from 27,000 to 34,500. I don't think anybody has any real idea how many it holds :confused:

The decision to play the Hawthorn game at 4.40pm and the Bulldogs at 1.20pm has perplexed me all week. The Bulldogs game was always going to be poorly attended, not sure why they didn't have that at 4.40pm and Hawthorn v Melbourne in the early afternoon - probably would have got 60K.

NSW and QLD clubs can't be scheduled in the Sunday twilight timeslot as their games need to be on free to air tv in their home cities, and 7 wouldn't be willing to sacrifice its high rating early evening schedule to show AFL in those states.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 4 crowds

Richmond v Collingwood (MCG) 58,050
Carlton v Essendon (MCG) 78,605
Hawthorn v West Coast (York Park) 15,063*
Sydney v Geelong (Sydney Cricket Ground) 25,300
Port Adelaide v Adelaide (Football Park) 33,143
Gold Coast v Melbourne (Gabba) 12,111
Fremantle v North Melbourne (Subiaco) 34,779

*footywire.com

2011 R4 Total: 256,511 (7 games) - Down 43,070
2010 R4 Total: 299,581 (8 games)

2011 R4 Average: 36,644 - Down 804
2010 R4 Average: 37,448

2011 YTD (R1-4) Total: 1,165,819 (31 matches) Down 77,585
2010 YTD (R1-4) Total: 1,243,404 (32 Matches)

2011 YTD (R1-4) Average: 37,607 (Down 1,249)
2010 YTD (R1-4) Average: 38,856

2011 Season ave: 37,607 (Up 700)
2010 Season ave: 36,907

Lowest Round 4 Attendance since 2007 (249,456)
Lowest Season aggregate since 2006 (1,121,177)

Was disappointed with only 58k on Friday night.

I would've expected more than 60k for Rich v Coll, and more than 80k for Carl v Ess.

Showdown shocker in Adelaide, what's going on South Australians?

Impressive crowds for Freo and Sydney though, especially considering the rain in Syd.

No point comparing crowd averages to past seasons anymore. I doubt we'll ever see a record season again due to the inclusion of Gold Coast and then GWS next year.
That would mean there is an extra game per round next year so we will create a new record in 2012 giving a good base year from then on to compare with.

I would've expected more than 60k for Rich v Coll, and more than 80k for Carl v Ess.

Impressive crowds for Freo and Sydney though, especially considering the rain in Syd.

I think there was a little bit of unrealistic expectations around Richmond vs Collingwood... the result was a totally foregone conclusion, and it was reigning premier vs bottom 4 team... not a great recipe for excitment even amongst the most excitable of fans. i thought it was going to be lucky to break 50k to be honest.. and if you look back 15 years or so, that would not have been out of the ordinary.

agree overall, attendances have been a tad soft so far this year.. I attribute the soft start to the year to paradoxically to (a)the unusual level of uncertainty of how certain clubs might go this year on one hand, and (b) the dead-set certainty of Collingwood dominating on the other hand.... (plus all the palava over the Sub rule).

I think it will pick up as the season unfolds and supporters of the sucessfull clubs get enthused and the nice drama the sub rule introduces gets more acceptance. I get a feeling that by the end of the season the footy will really be rockin' !

Round 4 crowds

*footywire.com

Still the biggest crowds for ANY football code in Australia by a country mile.

The Suns will drag the average down for a couple of seasons as will the GWS but they will still get bigger and better crowds than most RL matches.

you can blame the MCC for the sub 80K crowd, the public areas were full in most stands and sold out. Ever since the new stand, the MCC must have been allocated more seats and as a result when they dont show up the public cant get in.

Several stands were full to the top, but the MCC looked about a third to half full.

The other factor is the staggered release of tickets, for some reason they dont offer the whole ground up, thus it can appear sold out at a point in time.

Round 5 crowds

Brisbane v St Kilda (Gabba) 22,520
Port Adelaide v Gold Coast (Football Park) 21,287
Carlton v Adelaide (Docklands) 37,607
North Melbourne v Richmond (Docklands) 36,461
Essendon v Collingwood (MCG) 89,626
Fremantle v Western Bulldogs (Subiaco) 37,551
Hawthorn v Geelong (MCG) 78,579

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back