AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Plays his best footy from half forward and following the footy into the middle of the ground. Not t’other way round.

Seems pretty clear cut to me, just a matter of when he actually reaches that mythical 20 disposals and a goal a game level, not if.

Needs more involvement than 3 or 4 slick passages of play. Actually watching the ball when it is coming towards him would help.

Been saying it for 2 months now that he has to be dropped.

He's ****ing great with ball in hand, but he's absolutely useless at stoppages. Either he plays as a high half forward or he goes back to the VFL and works on stoppages/fitness.

Been saying it for 2 months now that he has to be dropped.

He's ****ing great with ball in hand, but he's absolutely useless at stoppages. Either he plays as a high half forward or he goes back to the VFL and works on stoppages/fitness.
I'd be willing to bring Hobbs in and send Perkins to the VFL for a few weeks to work on his stoppage / midfield craft. At least Hobbs will give us defensive intent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he isnt the designated hit-to player (and therefore anticipates where the ball is meant to go) he tends to cause a few issues at stoppage because he can get lost in there.
Specifically he has a knack of losing his man in traffic sometimes, and whilst he did some nice tagging jobs last year i think it was because he was not focusing on the ball and let someone take him to the footy. He hasnt seemed to perfect the art of balancing both those aspects like Durham and Caldwell have to this point. Not to say he cant, but it will take time and reps.

So i am torn - his best spot at the moment is as a high half forward who generates an extra at the stoppage and can be more aggressive in positioning if we win the ball our way. However he might be the most purely explosive 'mid' we have in terms of burst and breaking tackles and his development as a mid could be a great complement to what we have.

I still think we need what he could offer us in the middle. If Hobbs has a good run in the 2's I wouldn't be opposed to swapping the two of them so Archie can spend more time on-ball in a match.

I can’t be the only one that saw him bust two tackles, run 20 metres and then lay it in caddy’s lap and thought ‘yep, forward of centre’

Would he be better suited behind the ball? Would the play being in front of him help his ability to read the game? Because it seems a lot of us believe he has a knack of getting lost, finds himself between the play a little.
Perko to me had the best results playing as a half forward. He had a nice goal sense.

I haven't seen impose himself on a game as yet and I think that comes down mostly to his lacking of size, and confidence.

I compares him to Durham who is a year older and starting to command the centre area and break through tackles. A year ago Durham did a lot of running, and yet got pushed around at times off the ball.
I have to keep telling myself how young these players are and are still developing.

He’s such a weird mix. Not a natural midfielder but has a great athletic profile and tags well. More a forward but not a massive goal kicker. Good overhead but not amazing. Not a crumbed per se, but ok with the loose ball. Clearly very talented but never really dominant.

In some ways that’s a utility profile but we all hope for much more.

Of recent players he is most like Zaharakis IMO, with a bit more power and X factor, and a bit less run.

So I guess his best role will be unrewarded decoy fat side defensive winger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back