AFL Autopsy RND 16: Loss To The Pussies

Remove this Banner Ad

Perkins 14 touches at 36% in the midfield most of the game, just not good enough. Was poor the last few weeks too, off to vfl.
Don't want to pile on... but said in during the week. Just do not see it with this kid. Big wraps but I've seen him do exactly SFA other than 1-2 games when he looks half decent. Shocking decision maker, poor disposal, limited vision, slowish speed. Gotta have better options.. it was perfect conditions for a guy like Hobbs. How is Shiel not getting a game ahead of him??

Game was lost at two points.. first our team selection. Poor poor poor team balance and it is simply not working having an overly tall and lumbering team. We are not putting ourselves in a position to win.

The second and most glaring was the match fixing in the third. There were 6 poor decisions.. and all of them were actually horrendous decisions and they all went to Geelong. The 'non' draper call, the Ridley HTB, the Delibrate rushed behind and then 2 x non HTB calls in our forward line. These weren't 50/50 calls.. these were incorrect decisions. All of them and they resulted in 3 direct Geelong goals and cost us potentially 2 goals. It was enough to swing the game and we didn't put in much effort after that.

It reminded me of the final against the bulldogs a little bit last year.. I feel like this team has a good sense when the fix is in and they tend to collectively all just stop running.

All up a disgraceful night for the EFC and yet again we watch as our season amounts to nothing. It was a big test tonight and we flunked badly. Next week we get to see how we match up against the Pies and that will give us an indication if we have improved or not. I suspect we will struggle to win another game from here. If that occurs then legitimate questions need to be asked if we have improved or not. Right now I still see a list with multiple holes, a lack of offensive gameplan and a lot of players either injured or out of form.

I never want to see a forwardline with Wright, Jones, Langford and Stringer ever again.. especially not with Draper and Goldy in the team as well. The fact it was in the middle of torrential rain is just beyond comprehension.

Chris Scott "the competition is so tight"

Gee Ben Dixon doesn't know shit about footy, does he?

he is the one steering this ship.. He is the man who needs to better improve the correlation between midfield and forward line
I get what you’re saying, but some of the rushed pathetic kicks that entered our forward line aren’t what Brad has planned

I just feel brads plan of winning clearance with ruck dominance and his high press worked. Our inside 50 numbers were good, but turn overs both cost us defensively and offensively.
Clearances numbers were also good but execution once won was not good.

10 to 2 in the second half. Simple as that. When oppo go into another gear we struggle to match them, and it's game over. Same old same olds.

Heading into the match I wasn't confident but I was really curious how we would go.
In my mind I'd kinda thought Pete was going to be useless and Jones invisible with draper constantly kicking the ball off the ground into dangerous territory.

Well Jones was pretty damn good, Pete was good for him especially considering the conditions and I thought draper player largely within structure.

So I'm going to throw a lions share of blame at the Captains feet. Because he simply needs to be better.
Had an absolutely putrid patch before half time after a really nice start costing multiple goals.

Then coming out of the break as Geelong made their charge and the team wilted and whinged about umpiring, what did the captain do?

Routinely, stood around with his arms out crying for calls.
Didn't put his head over the ball or make the tackles.
Just whinged.

And the team followed him, and the cats knew it and everyone watching knew it. They lost the game right then and there.

If you want to be a better club,if you want to actually matter in this competition. You can't do what he just did as a leader.

Be better, because you are.

Some of the umpiring was BS.it robbed momentum. You know what though?
That same Menzie deliberate call was paid last week, and the Jordan Ridley arm free has been paid numerous times and is on the teaching tape the AFL released as part of the interpretation change.
Those are gonna get paid sometimes.
It was 20 points.
You had a whole break to settle.

Yet you still dropped your bundle and bitched and moaned.

Scott may believe in the selection but if that's the case after that type of loss in those circumstances with the history this team has over them, drop senior blokes for it. You have to make a statement.

Because at the very least, when we drop the next couple and fall out of the 8 we can get a few games into youth and prepare for the future instead of being weighed down by the millstone of senior players who routinely quit when things get hard.

Absolutely spineless performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bradball is tight, defensive footy, which he says means the games will remain close, notwithstanding the opponent. Okay in theory, but it means you never ice a game and always have to play four quarters at full intensity to secure the win. Successful teams can go to another level to create scoreboard pressure, but we just grind the game plan all night and assume the score will tick over, but against GC and CFC, we saw that this pure system approach doesn't guarantee success, despite winning key metrics. Not saying we need to go back to Knights-era slingshot footy, but gotta be able to turn the screw sometimes...

****ed umpiring in the third completely ended any run we had and if you argue otherwise, you weren’t watching the same game.

Yes, we should have let it galvanise us and not flatten us, but the fact it happened at all is an utter indictment on this league and the farcical standard of umpiring we have.

A complete joke.

The same thing we have seen for the past 20 years - the opposition through coaching, smarts and skill with more time and space than we have, looking more dangerous when they go forward, us being strangled in comparison and everything looking like a crap fight. The moths to the flame back. Our forward line looked at its best (balanced) when we had Jones playing out of FF and Davey in. We were lucky WCE were inaccurate and apart from that we have had the month of June with what we have come to expect.

excuse my intrusion I come in peace.
I watched that game with no emotional attachment to either teams I hate you both and was happy to watch somebody lose but that pathetic excuse for an umpiring performance in the 3rd qtr just can’t be ignored.
The Draper non arm chop decision, the rushed behind, the holding the ball decision and then the non call against Stewart at the other end.
I’m sorry but this was absolutely disgusting and completely changed the momentum.
I usually don’t blame the umpires and you probably should’ve found another gear in the last qtr but the maggots clearly and I mean clearly influenced that match.
Coming from somebody who couldn’t care less about the bombers.
You was robbed I’d be asking questions

Would have been nice if the carpet wasn't pulled out from under our feet, when we were right in the game in the 3rd.
All indications were that we were about to be blown apart regardless. Geelong got alot of calls their way.. and crucial ones.. but they were the only team that showed up that quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back