Traded #12: Stewart Crameri - Traded to Footscray for pick 26

Remove this Banner Ad

I will bite and I generally agree with the OP.
75000 compared to what.....14000 bogans lol. Sorry Dogs supporters but 14000 spectators is just the reality that your club holds the competition back, and contributes in a small way only to the competition. (You are not the only ones tbh).
Yes coming from an Essendon supporter is a reflection of my arrogance. But after the last 18 months and the way your 'yes man' president opens his gob every now and then, well I don't give a f..k
I just can't see Footscray getting close to a sniff of a Grand Final for the rest of his playing career, with the Tsunami called Gold Coast/GWS coming.
Just makes Crameris decision even more bewildering.

When a club gives you everything to start up, and gives you the AFL dream, you repay them.
His spot in the side wasn't in danger. He was a best 22 player and played a major part in our forward line.
From the life he previously had working at a farm, life was about getting by, not getting a lot money. He should have been content with what he got at Essendon and appreciated the help.

I will never hold a grudge against Monfries. He was a great player for us, but was being wasted as a defensive forward; which he has shown he is a better attacking forward at Port. He was also from SA so it was the perfect deal for him. From when we traded him, it was, thanks for giving your all at Essendon and good luck at Port where you will have a brighter future. Which he has and I couldn't be happier for him.

But for Crameri to leave a club that gave him everything, still live close to home, but then to move to a bottom team down the road for money is just shit.

Poor form $t€w.

It's not always about money. If money is your real driver, than it says a lot about your character.

When it is in a career such as Football when it can come and go in a flash, you need to take risks and sadly for us, Stewie did what was best for him.

When it is in a career such as Football when it can come and go in a flash, you need to take risks and sadly for us, Stewie did what was best for him.
Disagree. It's not if Stewie was on the scrap heap at age 30 e.g. Luke Power, Chad Cornes, Daniel Cross, Chappy etc.

Stewie chose the selfish decision, over team success/mates. Maybe he thought he had achieved everything with EFC - ANZAC day, Dreamtime, finals, leading goal kicker, Boulder.

Last edited:
Maybe he couldn't handle the pressure? It wasn't exactly an easy year for the players last year. He might have decided this was the best was for him to move on.

If i had a choice between Crameri and Zach right now, i would take Zach. Even if he is not a flat track bully, you can't argue that he performed less well against the better sides. It was a very concerning aspect of Crams...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you not leave if you were offered a significant pay rise for an extended period of time?

I would

What's significant?

Money isn't always everything and you have to weigh things up.

You see guys like Buddy or Scully get their deals and you think, weighing it up you'd be gone.

Crammers would be seeing an extra $50k to $60k a year after tax, what? And extra 15%, 20% at absolute most? Nice kick but hardly ****in life changing.

Throwing aside the club who gave him a career for that? What a joke.

I don't have a problem in principle which guys moving. Someone like Monfries etc, not a shred of ill feeling from me.

Stewie though can get ****ed. Enjoy the backwater at Footscray.

What's significant?

Money isn't always everything and you have to weigh things up.

You see guys like Buddy or Scully get their deals and you think, weighing it up you'd be gone.

Crammers would be seeing an extra $50k to $60k a year after tax, what? And extra 15%, 20% at absolute most? Nice kick but hardly ****in life changing.

Throwing aside the club who gave him a career for that? What a joke.

I don't have a problem in principle which guys moving. Someone like Monfries etc, not a shred of ill feeling from me.

Stewie though can get ******. Enjoy the backwater at Footscray.

for a bloke whose body had occasionally betrayed him, i think it's the right choice IMHO.

I think taking pot shots at Western Bulldogs in terms of their size, success etc is poor. Then again, I hate arrogance so maybe that is why it irks me. If you want to talk about success, certainly Essendon is not it when you compare our last 10 years to the Bulldogs' (especially after the debacle of last year). Like you saw yesterday, they needed a forward and tried to do something about it.

For me, I have absolutely no bitter feeling towards Monfries whatsoever. In fact, I cheer him on when he kicks goals for Port. Although I would like him back at Essendon again. :(

Crameri however, leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Our forward line was already dysfunctional and the club gave him every opportunity to make it at AFL level. Last thing we needed was our leading goal scorer for the last 3 years to leave. That is exactly what he does for $$.

He was actually one of my favourite players. Now, I honestly cannot stand him.

I think taking pot shots at Western Bulldogs in terms of their size, success etc is poor. Then again, I hate arrogance so maybe that is why it irks me. If you want to talk about success, certainly Essendon is not it when you compare our last 10 years to the Bulldogs' (especially after the debacle of last year). Like you saw yesterday, they needed a forward and tried to do something about it.

For me, I have absolutely no bitter feeling towards Monfries whatsoever. In fact, I cheer him on when he kicks goals for Port. Although I would like him back at Essendon again. :(

Crameri however, leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Our forward line was already dysfunctional and the club gave him every opportunity to make it at AFL level. Last thing we needed was our leading goal scorer for the last 3 years to leave. That is exactly what he does for $$.

He was actually one of my favourite players. Now, I honestly cannot stand him.

I have a go at their size on this issue as I simply can't see how any footballer wouldn't give anything to play in big games like Saturday, ANZAC day etc instead of tiny crowds in nothing games. Just me maybe.

Success isn't an issue, the AFL is a merry go round these days.

I have a go at their size on this issue as I simply can't see how any footballer wouldn't give anything to play in big games like Saturday, ANZAC day etc instead of tiny crowds in nothing games. Just me maybe.

Success isn't an issue, the AFL is a merry go round these days.
I think McCartney and the $$$ could be the main factors for leaving Essendon. I wonder what McCartney said to convince him. Maybe not a lot, but I'm annoyed that he left as he was clearly best 22 and 'required'. Let's face it, we would be kicking more goals with him in the side. I guess we don't know the full story so can't exactly judge. Maybe he didn't really gel with the players and coaching staff? Could be a possibility.

It is just that some of the comments on Bulldogs' future success is completely baseless when they have done more than what Essendon have done. I personally think that if they can sort out their forward line, they can contend for the 8 next year. That's not too different to Essendon.

Most professional athletes have around 10 years to earn their money to retire on, I have no problem with Stewie leaving especially with his career starting late. There are no guarantees with how long his career will last, or earning capacity post football

I honestly struggle to care, and have done so since about two days after he left.

Maybe that allure of playing in front of big crowds really isn't that important to Stew. Maybe he'd just grown tired of Essendon.

Meh. There are bigger things to worry about.

Yep I saw him out with the Essendon boys a few years ago and apart from Jetta (lol) he seemed to be the most arrogant there. I didn't even try to talk to any of them really but just from observations.

No issue with him going for more mone and the opportunity to really have a forward line built around him. Very happy with Zach Merrett.
Appreciate the years that we got from Stewie and the work he put in to get to the right level for us. Toodles!

Not really worth anger IMO

Bravo!!

Great post. Oh hang on...didn't he wanna play under Macca? What will he do when Macca gets the arse at the end of the year? Crack the sads & say he wants to come back to the club that made him who he is??

F*** him I say! Enjoy playing in a sh*t side and am more than happy with Zeek Merrett who ironically gets a NAB nomination the same weekend!

Sliding doors hey!

Go Dons!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back